Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Zach Mitchell joins Colchester on season loan

12346»

Comments

• Options
    No doubt he has a lot of talent on the ball but he is very much a work in progress defensively.  He might on the fringes of the team during the preseason but unless he makes a big developmental jump, I doubt he is going to be in the first team mix next year. Just too early in his career if we are looking at being a promotion winning side.  After a good start at Colchester, things went downhill for him very quickly and he struggled before being pulled by the new manager.  Read colchester’s fan forum from back in December after he was directly at fault for 3 goals in a 5-3 loss to Wimbledon. Now some of that was probably an over reaction to one bad performance and when you are surrounded by a poor team, the defense is going to be under a lot of pressure which is difficult for an inexperienced 19 year old but it wasn’t an isolated situation. I really think the best thing for his development is another loan to league two and then we might have a better idea of his true potential
  • Options
    No doubt he has a lot of talent on the ball but he is very much a work in progress defensively.  He might on the fringes of the team during the preseason but unless he makes a big developmental jump, I doubt he is going to be in the first team mix next year. Just too early in his career if we are looking at being a promotion winning side.  After a good start at Colchester, things went downhill for him very quickly and he struggled before being pulled by the new manager.  Read colchester’s fan forum from back in December after he was directly at fault for 3 goals in a 5-3 loss to Wimbledon. Now some of that was probably an over reaction to one bad performance and when you are surrounded by a poor team, the defense is going to be under a lot of pressure which is difficult for an inexperienced 19 year old but it wasn’t an isolated situation. I really think the best thing for his development is another loan to league two and then we might have a better idea of his true potential
    I'd be interested to hear your views on Anderson & Assimwe in the 2022-23 season....Both were successful in that U21 squad as was Zach, and all 3 are 19.   

Both played their parts in the current season and with the number of matchday subs allowed these days, surely there's a place in the overall squad for our own Academy players who show more than just promise ? 

You appear to be somewhat of an expert on Colchester's season, even reading their fans' forum or maybe just interested in Zach's progress and wonder whether you've watched him in person. 

Let's see what Nathan 's views are once next season starts. 
  • Options
    edited April 24
    The boy can play. Extend his contract and lend him out to someone who will play him every week. No point going to a League Two club if they just want him as back up. Better to drop a league or three and play week in, week out. U21 football for him is a waste of time. Get into proper league football, with a few cups thrown in too. Play where league results matter and where cup results matter just as much. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    The boy can play. Extend his contract and lend him out to someone who will play him every week. No point going to a League Two club if they just want him as back up. Better to drop a league or three and play week in, week out. U21 football for him is a waste of time. Get into proper league football, with a few cups thrown in too. Play where league results matter and where cup results matter just as much. 
    The problem with this is I think I’m right in saying he only has a year left on his contract. I’d suggest that Nathan Jones needs to have him at Sparrows Lane and on the fringes of first team next season. I’m not convinced that unless we’re already certain to offer him a new deal that a loan is beneficial for the club. If he’s offered and signs a new three year deal then perhaps a loan would be ok. 
  • Options
    Zak was training at Sparrows Lane today, as was Aaron Henry.
    At this time of the season it makes sense for the loan "deadwood" to return to their parent clubs, and that equally applies to the likes of L Watson and Fiorini.
  • Options
    If he’s as good as some say (not doubting them) then at 19 he’s an age where he should in and around the first team, and if not someone who isn’t too far off.

Playing a back three probably suits a young CB who’s good on the ball. It’ll be important to get the right players around him, which probably isn’t Hector or Thomas.
  • Options
    It must be noted that we are losing a ball-winning defensive midfielder, who has been in our top two players for three seasons. If only we could find a defensive, physical player who is good on the ball, because it doesn't seem to be Connor Coventry.
  • Options
    Dobson's replacement? - Try him in Midfield? ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At this time of the season it makes sense for the loan "deadwood" to return to their parent clubs, and that equally applies to the likes of L Watson and Fiorini.
    Both L Watson & Fiorini played for the u21s at QPR last Friday & Watson was pictured at the shirt sponsors function yesterday.

• Options
    They were both at Sparrows Lane too
  • Options
    They were both at Sparrows Lane too
    With the loan players and recalled youngsters, we have enough players to have 3 sides in training
  • Options
    Seen him play in midfield. Top quality passing.
  • Options
    I know you’re semi joking but I think this is where he eventually ends up. He’s too good on the ball to be in a back 4 but too young to be the commanding CB in a 3. Why not keep him around the squad next year as a dual option? If NJ likes a smaller squad then players who can play a couple of positions are crucial. Must caveat this with saying I’ve seen 0 of his minutes this season. 
  • Options
    If he can add some aerial ability, he's on the way to being a Krystian Bielek type of player. Very well balanced, whose strength is carrying the ball. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    I know you’re semi joking but I think this is where he eventually ends up. He’s too good on the ball to be in a back 4 but too young to be the commanding CB in a 3. Why not keep him around the squad next year as a dual option? If NJ likes a smaller squad then players who can play a couple of positions are crucial. Must caveat this with saying I’ve seen 0 of his minutes this season. 
    Yeah I remembered the suggestions about playing him there last summer - Wont be surprised to eventually see him in that role, but dont see him replacing Dobson 
  • Options
    Absolutely could see Mitchell being used in midfield. He's so comfortable on the ball that I could see that being a seamless transition for him, obviously not a Dobbo replacement instantly but something I'd like to see tried. 
  • Options
    I havent seen Zach play, which side does he favour or is is he equally happy with both feet?
  • Options
    He tended to occupy the centre right.
    He was never the commanding defensive centre half type, a decent partner would help in that regard. He can sniff danger and get back and tackle mind.
    He is in command of the ball rather than being ‘comfortable’ on the ball if that makes sense, and he has good awareness of where his team mates are, the command and awareness are evident when he makes brave/risky forward runs with the ball, and just when you think he is running out of time, space and options, he will find a team mate rather unexpectedly with a decent progressive pass.
    He remains young and inexperienced and is not the finished article.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    To be honest, I like him at CDM. He carries the ball well, can tackle and can pick passes. 

He's not ready to own that position, but should progress well training with the senior squad. I wouldn't loan him out personally unless we have much better options available. 
  • Options
    If 3 at the back is the favoured system then having a player who can drop back from midfield as an extra CB, or conversely can bring the ball out of defence into midfield, would be a very useful asset - someone possibly in the general mold of Bielik though hopefully less troubled by injury.

I've not seen Mitchell play but from what has been said he sounds like the kind of bright young thing that Jones will be very keen to work with.