Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie

Comments

• Options
    Can i say CM seems like someone id like to spend time with ? No, I can't but worth noting the shambles he took over. Regardless of where we finished I do feel we are in better hands with this lot than Tommy good time, especially the last season under TS.

I do get the feeling that some Charlton fans wouldn't be happy unless our owners were either Peter Varney or a Billionaire Charlton fan who splashes the cash but is also in touch with working man who only charges fiver a game yet we still break even and is sensible with the club budget.
    I get the feeling Charlton fans would be happy with a winning team and promotion back to the championship. 
    If that was to happen most Charlton fans wouldn't give a toss who the actual owners were. 
    cute analysis but thats not what i seem to get from reading most summaries on here.
  • Options
    Can i say CM seems like someone id like to spend time with ? No, I can't but worth noting the shambles he took over. Regardless of where we finished I do feel we are in better hands with this lot than Tommy good time, especially the last season under TS.

I do get the feeling that some Charlton fans wouldn't be happy unless our owners were either Peter Varney or a Billionaire Charlton fan who splashes the cash but is also in touch with working man who only charges fiver a game yet we still break even and is sensible with the club budget.
    I get the feeling Charlton fans would be happy with a winning team and promotion back to the championship. 
    If that was to happen most Charlton fans wouldn't give a toss who the actual owners were. 
    cute analysis but thats not what i seem to get from reading most summaries on here.
    I don't believe many fans have a problem with our owners. 
    The senior management team however. 
    But a winning team and promotion back to the championship would surely keep most fans happy. 
  • Options

I don't believe many fans have a problem with our owners. 
    The senior management team however. 
    But a winning team and promotion back to the championship would surely keep most fans happy. 
    admittedly your right hence why my first post said some, i think most fans WOULD fit in your viewpoint
  • Options

This some of my best times supporting Charltn was under Slater & Co. 
  • Options

The Championship first and then the Premier League. If Luton can do it, we can.
    And I'd like to see all resources going towards achieving that goal. Things like the Women's Team can wait until the men's team is back on course and far higher up the pyramid as far as I'm concerned !
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Croydon said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Basing him solely on his time at Charlton and what I’ve seen and heard from him, I’m nothing but impressed. 
    Judging him purely on his time at Charlton, he talks too much for someone who has accomplished so little 

He's nothing to do with the team on the pitch - he's all about the team behind the scenes - as he has stated several times.  I know this doesn't fit certain narratives on here but that's the way it is
    The buck surely stops somewhere.
    In the interview yesterday do you not think a casual viewer would get the impression that Methven is in charge?
    Like if Appleton is down to Scott, who is Scott down to?
    And would Scott count as somebody ‘behind the scenes’?
    He also waxed lyrical about the Jamaica link, surely that is a football thing rather than a behind the scenes thing?
    I sincerely hope for footballing success next season, and I can take a good guess at who would be one of the people front and centre taking the plaudits, and it will be somebody ‘modestly’ emerging from behind the scenes won’t it?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Swisdom said:
    Croydon said:
    J BLOCK said:
    Basing him solely on his time at Charlton and what I’ve seen and heard from him, I’m nothing but impressed. 
    Judging him purely on his time at Charlton, he talks too much for someone who has accomplished so little 

He's nothing to do with the team on the pitch - he's all about the team behind the scenes - as he has stated several times.  I know this doesn't fit certain narratives on here but that's the way it is
    In the interview yesterday do you not think a casual viewer would get the impression that Methven is in charge?
    He also waxed lyrical about the Jamaica link, surely that is a football thing rather than a behind the scenes thing?
    I sincerely hope for footballing success next season, and I can take a good guess at who would be one of the people front and centre taking the plaudits, and it will be somebody ‘modestly’ emerging from behind the scenes won’t it?
    Who is making that judgement and what do you think would happen if it did indeed stop with him? I want things done better and the mistakes of this season learned from and put right, not for heads to roll bringing yet more instability of ownership/management 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    swordfish said:
    seth plum said:
    Swisdom said:
    Croydon said:
    J BLOCK said:

Who is making that judgement and what do you think would happen if it did indeed stop with him? I want things done better and the mistakes of this season learned from and put right, not for heads to roll bringing yet more instability of ownership/management 
    I was watching the Horizon enquiry recently when Alan Bates was giving evidence.
    Anyway the line Alan Bates took was he wasn’t first and foremost looking for blood, but looking for ‘the Truth’. His thesis is once the truth is established all else can flow from that.
  • Options
    For those worried abt the women's team, he didn't say they'd cut it. He just pointed out we were the only club at our level to have a professional women's set up. He then went on to say that they want to grow this and see all their home games at The Valley next season. But it seems to me that the WSL clubs are trying to make it a closed shop with no promotion/relegation. The Chelsea manager was taking abt a US model earlier in the season I think, but more knowledgeable posters could put me right. From our perspective it's a big outlay to fund the women's team, so eventually they'll have to take a view on whether it's viable. Hopefully it will be.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    For those worried abt the women's team, he didn't say they'd cut it. He just pointed out we were the only club at our level to have a professional women's set up. He then went on to say that they want to grow this and see all their home games at The Valley next season. But it seems to me that the WSL clubs are trying to make it a closed shop with no promotion/relegation. The Chelsea manager was taking abt a US model earlier in the season I think, but more knowledgeable posters could put me right. From our perspective it's a big outlay to fund the women's team, so eventually they'll have to take a view on whether it's viable. Hopefully it will be.
    shame they will potentially miss out on promotion this season down to GD, considerable as Palace has made it. It be great if they can make it into WSL before they close it off, if that is indeed the plan.
  • Options

Or what they have to say... One of the reasons Roland was hated was the fact we didn't hear from him, he didn't care about us, he never bothered coming to watch our games. 

Owners since then (Im ignoring ESI) have done all three things, but the Football hasn't improved, so our relationship hasn't been brilliant with any of them still
    This. We hear from Charlie and people complain less talk more action please. We don't hear from Charlie and people complain we don't hear from the owners.

Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. 
    We still haven't heard from the owners! 
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    Id say the women's set up costs and loses a lot less than the men's team.

Is the men's team viable and should the owners take a view on that?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    swordfish said:
    seth plum said:
    Swisdom said:
    Croydon said:
    J BLOCK said:

I was watching the Horizon enquiry recently when Alan Bates was giving evidence.
    Anyway the line Alan Bates took was he wasn’t first and foremost looking for blood, but looking for ‘the Truth’. His thesis is once the truth is established all else can flow from that.
    Our calamitus season unfolded on the pitch, but the truth of who exactly is to blame and to what extent does need looking into properly, not based on hearsay.

Charlie's paymasters will no doubt be asking what went wrong if they view this season through the same prism as the rest of us, and why wouldn't they as it's their money going down the pan. So where failings in management are identified as a contributory factor, I expect appropriate action to be taken. That doesn't necessarily mean personnel changes, although obviously on the playing staff side there need to be.

I personally think our cumbersome ownership structure has proved more of a hindrance than a help so far and they're guilty of over complicating decision making.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Jonniesta said:
    Overall he spoke well and said what I'd expect a good owner to say. The one area I felt he went into bollocks-speak was talking about Jones the leader, the importance of leadership, the criticality of having someone who inspires. It just led me to say...
    'Why the f*** did you hire Apples then?!"

Otherwise it was good to hear someone with some business awareness not reeling off a bunch of clichés.
    as he said Jones wasn't available at the time.
    Yeah, I got that bit. They weren't the only options!!
  • Options
    edited April 24
    Swisdom said:
    Croydon said:
    J BLOCK said:

He had no say in employing Scott then? And no say in Appleton whatsoever?

Whatever his involvement is, we have gone backwards this season results wise and yet he's in the media more than any owner we've had in my lifetime. I have no issue with Charlie, so have no narrative against him. I just think it's an awful lot of talk from an owner who's played a part in our worst season since the 1920s.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Swisdom said:
    Croydon said:
    J BLOCK said:

He had no say in employing Scott then? And no say in Appleton whatsoever?

Whatever his involvement is, we have gone backwards this season results wise and yet he's in the media more than any owner we've had in my lifetime. I have no issue with Charlie, so have no narrative against him. I just think it's an awful lot of talk from an owner who's played a part in our worst season since the 1920s.
    He's not in the media more than TS was, not by a long shot
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah right, that makes more sense. Thanks for posting.
  • Options
    Did Paul Elliott grow up a few hundred yards from the Valley? I always thought it was Abbey Wood.
  • Options
    He went to Blackheath Bluecoat School I believe, as did the Ferdinand brothers.
  • Options
    edited April 26
    seth plum said:
  • Options
    Did Paul Elliott grow up a few hundred yards from the Valley? I always thought it was Abbey Wood.
    Are you maybe confusing him with Paul Walsh who was definitely Abbey Wood?
  • Options
    Are you maybe confusing him with Paul Walsh who was definitely Abbey Wood?
    I thought both came from the same area. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Elliott is a Lewisham lad isn't he? So stretching the "few hundred yards" a bit, but it's not a million miles away
  • Options
    Wasn't it Steve Davis of the snooker who went to Abbey Wood, but Paul Walsh went to Woolwich Poly?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I think he went to Roan.
    He didn't. 
  • Options
    Pretty sure Elliott was a Blue Coat - I'm sure he told me so a few years ago because my step mother also went there and it came up in conversation.