Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

+++Conor Coventry joins on a 3 1/2 year deal+++

Comments

• Options
    UEAAddick said:
    Same old Charlton life, let’s write a player off after 10 games.

this goes for all January signings…. Living in a hotel or possibly a couple of hour drive into work each day. Away from family, wife and kids, new training methods, regular men’s football. It all has an impact. They now have 3 months off to move, sort out their personal lives and get a pre season in their new environments under their belts rather than expected to hit the ground running after day 1!

for everyone writing off Coventry already, what was the Charlton manager at the time view on Dobson after 10 games?

how long did it take euell to settle in?

People not rating him so far are still saying there prepared to give him more time.
    I agree. Every poster has said they hope there is more to come in one way or another.
    Perhaps the worry is the length of the contract if he turns out to be not part of Charlton’s plans. It was/is a three and a half year deal.
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    The diamond in midfield, with CC at the base, used against Shrewsbury didnt work and left him and his lack of defensive ability exposed.

That was on Jones who at least had the nous to change back to 5 - 3 - 2 as soon as we conceded.

The failure of the formation wasn't just on CC but if that is how Jones wants us to play next year, and he was hinting that it is, the base of the diamond is the key player.

So far, Coventry hasn't shown he's up to that responsibility.

Maybe next season he will be?
    I still think 3-5-2 will be the plan, just with the diamond as another option. 

We spent on REG and Gillesphey in January, two players that are suited to and have done well at previous clubs in a back 3 
    Both REG and Gillesphey were signed before Jones arrived IIRC.

And having centre backs doesn't automatically mean we'll play three of them.
  • Options
    Same old Charlton life, let’s write a player off after 10 games.

this goes for all January signings…. Living in a hotel or possibly a couple of hour drive into work each day. Away from family, wife and kids, new training methods, regular men’s football. It all has an impact. They now have 3 months off to move, sort out their personal lives and get a pre season in their new environments under their belts rather than expected to hit the ground running after day 1!

for everyone writing off Coventry already, what was the Charlton manager at the time view on Dobson after 10 games?

how long did it take euell to settle in?

No one is writing him off after 10 games, he was signed from a club in another part of London and he lives with his mum and dad.

People made a lot of excuses for Kirk too.

Coventry can still come good but so far, IMHO, he hasn't impressed.
  • Options
    Like Gillesphey, there needs to be a lot of improvement from Coventry next season 
  • Options
    edited April 22
    Fishing line removed. 

Needs to do more - Literally any player could have done the same in his position thus far IMO. 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    The diamond in midfield, with CC at the base, used against Shrewsbury didnt work and left him and his lack of defensive ability exposed.

That was on Jones who at least had the nous to change back to 5 - 3 - 2 as soon as we conceded.

The failure of the formation wasn't just on CC but if that is how Jones wants us to play next year, and he was hinting that it is, the base of the diamond is the key player.

So far, Coventry hasn't shown he's up to that responsibility.

Maybe next season he will be?
    I still think 3-5-2 will be the plan, just with the diamond as another option. 

We spent on REG and Gillesphey in January, two players that are suited to and have done well at previous clubs in a back 3 
    Both REG and Gillesphey were signed before Jones arrived IIRC.

And having centre backs doesn't automatically mean we'll play three of them.
    Yes they came in before. But I also think Jones is smart enough to use what he has in the best way possible. We have centre backs that suit a 3, Small and Ramsay both suit wing back more than full back, and Jones has played 3-5-2 successfully at Luton and has used it here. So I would expect 3-5-2 to still be the go-to formation next season 
  • Options
    I remember Bowyer saying he was encouraging Josh Cullen to drive into the opposition penalty box when in possession and not just keep flicking 4 yard passes about.

I think Bowyer could do a lot for Coventry's game. He is a classy looking footballer and hardly the root of our problems. But he makes too little impact on games for a player with his pedigree. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Fishing line removed. 

Needs to do more - Literally any player could have done the same in his position thus far IMO. 
    And yet he kept his place when we had several options in midfield. He needs to do more but he’s played a part in us staying up.
  • Options
    Blimey, I think we all need to give the lad a chance. There is no way I would want to compare Coventry to Cullen, Bielik, etc., at the moment. This team we have ended the season with have become difficult to beat but are not pulling up any trees. None of them, bar perhaps Alfie with his 23+ goals this season.

Point being, let’s await some quality sat around individual players who are more than less likely to get a serious game time next season and see how it works then? I think the lad has a lot of potential, the Derby away game I thought he was excellent and think with some strong additions behind and in front of him, we will see a lot more from him. 

I spoke to him last week and one observation I made and I am not sure how he took it to be honest, is that his game style, thus far, is more suited to Championship football than some of the kick and scrum of league 1. Personally I think he will evolve into a CM rather than DM, but who am I to know. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    Like Gillesphey, there needs to be a lot of improvement from Coventry next season 
    Personally think he’s looked way off it. Very shaky and not an improvement on what was an already terrible defence. 
  • Options
    I don't think he's been that bad, we are unbeaten for a couple of months now and as the defensive midfielder he will have had some contribution to helping that
  • Options
    I don't know if the whole "Dobson Replacement" theory ever had much truth or was just one more idea that somehow became just accepted as fact. But either way, he's certainly not a like for like, Mark II/Clone version.

And that is fine. He gets criticism for not flying about the pitch in the same style as Dobson but actually Dobson has the freedom to do that specifically because of having another midfielder to do the boring stuff and do it well (mostly.)

He's unlikely to be the kind of player who single handedly wins games but he will let those kind of players off the chain to do their work - as long as we find some...
  • Options
    Coventry compared to Scott Parker. Behave.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Who has compared him to Scott Parker?
  • Options
    He's like a Yoni Buyens for the Tiktok generation 
  • Options
    You’ve misread, I said he’s the opposite in style. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Would you say more Christophe LePoint? 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Would you say more Christophe LePoint? 
    I’d go with Leuth’s description, but we’ve definitely had a few Lepoint style players this season.
  • Options
    Let’s see how he starts next season.
    He’s looked solid in a pretty poor team which is no mean feat.
    Hes also come from being in and around a prem squad. This is an invaluable period for him as he will have learned a lot since Jan.
    Assuming the talk of a good window happens, I expect a different style of play next season where we’ll see lot more play through him and his fellow midfielders.
    I don’t understand the level of criticism towards him.

• Options
    I am obviously in a minority but I have been impressed by. Coventry and feel he will be excellent next season let’s wait and see

I agree, I'm surprised to see a lot of fans think he's been poor. Think he will be a really key player next season
  • Options
    We've had a lot of 'technically good' players that don't work out. 

I do however see promise in Coventry... Only thing really lacking appears to be his fitness. When he is on it, he's been very good. When he's not he is average - That is something where other 'Technical' players have failed, when they're not on it they have been woeful. 
  • Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Let’s see how he starts next season.
    He’s looked solid in a pretty poor team which is no mean feat.
    Hmm. One of the criticisms levelled at Dobbo was that yes he has looked good, but in a poor team.