Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

EFL Playoffs 23/24

Comments

• Options
    Leeds race into a 2 0 lead at home in a fantastic atmosphere.  They can be beaten though - not a great play off record.

• Options
    Leeds playing Carlisle in the L1 playoffs is a reminder of how football  fortunes can change.
  • Options
    Game over, Norwich have been really poor. 
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Game over, Norwich have been really poor. 
    Not unexpected - the top four were way ahead of the rest of the league this past season.
  • Options
    Leeds playing Carlisle in the L1 playoffs is a reminder of how football  fortunes can change.
    That was 16 years ago! I hope ours change a bit quicker than that.
  • Options
    Rutter who just scored Leeds' 3rd goal cost them 36m! And he's playing in the championship.
  • Options
    Norwich been poor but as said above Leeds finished 17 points ahead of Norwich so not unexpected.
  • Options
    That was 16 years ago! I hope ours change a bit quicker than that.
    I was also thinking of Carlisle, who finished 4th in L1 that season, 2 points behind Nottingham Forest.

Incidentally that season (07/08), Bournemouth and Luton were both relegated from L1, both having been in administration.
  • Options
    Norwich been poor but as said above Leeds finished 17 points ahead of Norwich so not unexpected.
    The gulf here looks huge. Leeds in all honesty shouldn't even be here, they should've gone up automatically but fucked up by only taking 4 points from their last 6 games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The gap looks even bigger, Norwich look like relegation fodder. 
  • Options
    4-0
  • Options
    Not a fan of Leeds but a believer in the highest placed side to go up.
  • Options
    No mandatory playoff pitch invasion.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    Why do people invade the pitch when they win a playoff semi? So stupid, always 
  • Options
    Southampton 3-0 up over West Brom. 3rd and 4th were well clear of 5th and 6th, so it seems fitting that they'll meet in the final.
  • Options
    edited May 17
    CAFCTrev said:
    No, the top four have just been that much better than the rest of the division. Southampton doing the same to WBA this evening…

Whoever loses the playoff final should be clear favourite to win that league next season.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    No, the top four have just been that much better than the rest of the division. Southampton doing the same to WBA this evening…

Whoever loses the playoff final should be clear favourite to win that league next season.
    Alongside Burnley, probably
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Did you say that 5 years ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 17
    sam3110 said:
    CAFCTrev said:

It really hits home what a wasted opportunity this year was. One of the weakest League One seasons and yet Pompey and Derby are amongst the front runners for top 6 next season in the Championship given how weak that division is next year.  

I am not convinced our owners will invest much into us, and fear they were sold a pipe dream; but had they invested the £10M last summer that they will lose by keeping us afloat in L1 this year we would almost certainly be part of next seasons Championship and dreaming of PL riches.

Obviously the play off loser and Luton odds not out yet but this is the Skybet odds for the Championship next season.  

Burnley.  7/1
    Middlesbrough. 12/1
    Sheffield Utd.  12/1
    Coventry.  14/1
    Watford.  16/1
    Sunderland.  20/1
  • Options
    Bilko said:
    Leuth said:
    CAFCTrev said:
    Did you say that 5 years ago.
    Yes, and got even more stick for it then!
  • Options
    edited May 18
    CAFCTrev said:

Depends if they have to sell anyone. Leeds for example might struggle to keep Gnonto and Summerville for a second season in the Championship, and Archie Gray is wanted by a few PL clubs.

If Southampton don't go up i doubt they'll be favourites. Burnley will be strong and i'd fancy Luton to do well as they probably won't have to break up their squad. They'll do well again under Rob Edwards.
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

If they haven’t shot their ‘financial bolt’ in challenging this season…
  • Options
    If Southampton don't go up I don't think their firesale would be quite as severe as Leeds's , I'd expect the likes of Walker-Peters,Bednarek, Adams to go + Brooks ,Downes and Harwood-Belis go back to parent clubs. 

Leeds would probably lose Mellier, Gray, and potentially that entire front 4 so I think there's more of a pressure on Leeds to get promoted. 

Would probably make Luton favourites to bounce straight back along with Burnley. 
  • Options
    To be polite accepted invitation of my Oxford supporting son in law to accompany him to the play off final. Wondering what will be easier, pretending I’m happy if they win or sad if they lose.
  • Options
    To be polite accepted invitation of my Oxford supporting son in law to accompany him to the play off final. Wondering what will be easier, pretending I’m happy if they win or sad if they lose.
    Mrs GA uncle lives round corner from us, he’s Charlton, his wife is Leeds, he told me yesterday he’s being dragged to Wembley, poor bloke. Don’t remember her attending with him for our playoff finals.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    CAFCTrev said:

It really hits home what a wasted opportunity this year was. One of the weakest League One seasons and yet Pompey and Derby are amongst the front runners for top 6 next season in the Championship given how weak that division is next year.  

I am not convinced our owners will invest much into us, and fear they were sold a pipe dream; but had they invested the £10M last summer that they will lose by keeping us afloat in L1 this year we would almost certainly be part of next seasons Championship and dreaming of PL riches.

Obviously the play off loser and Luton odds not out yet but this is the Skybet odds for the Championship next season.  

Burnley.  7/1
    Middlesbrough. 12/1
    Sheffield Utd.  12/1
    Coventry.  14/1
    Watford.  16/1
    Sunderland.  20/1

I wouldn't be surprised to see QPR or Sheffield Wednesday in the mix for top 6 next season 
  • Options
    Sit there comparing the Play-Off to 2019 and 1998, wondering when its going to liven up like those two days
  • Options
    Of the 3 relegated teams from the PL last season, Leicester went up automatically, while Leeds and Soton are in the playoff final. 

CAFCTrev said:

If they haven’t shot their ‘financial bolt’ in challenging this season…
    The second season after relegation is always an interesting one, as with the drop off in parachute payments, the player contracts signed in the PL become completely unaffordable.