Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Methven at Wembley

Comments

• Options
    The question would be, what would he have done if Oxford were playing Charlton yesterday?
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    seth plum said:
    Methven is a passionate Oxford United fan, it makes sense to me that he was at Wembley supporting his one and only football love.

To say that Methven’s involvement at Charlton amounts to 5% of the overall enterprise goes against what evidence we have, which is being around the club on an almost day to day basis, giving interviews and presumably claiming expenses to a greater or lesser degree.

The financial hinterland seems very murky to me, but because of his public profile it seems to me that all financial decisions, and the story associated with those decisions, pass through a valve called Methven.

There were and are quite a few distressed clubs to become involved with, and what I wonder is why Methven landed at Charlton.  It isn’t for the same reason you and I as lottery winners might do it, a love and passion for our club, the kind of love and passion Methven showed towards his beloved Oxford United at Wembley yesterday.

Why should I trust him not to wash his hands and walk away when things become tricky? What is to stop him overseeing the club going bust? I doubt if love or passion will come into it.

The single and only answer in my eyes for Mr Methven to establish credibility as the man who is running yet not running (!?) Charlton is promotion next season. Methven being articulate, well educated, charming and beautifully dressed means nothing to me, but getting 94 points by the end of next season will mean a lot.
    Coz he was looking for investment potential post Sunderland, could see we were distressed  and have the most. We're still distressed though, so things have to change. 

Only 94 points? Are you going soft? I want the bar set at at least 100 😉
    LOL

94 points is being merciful (actually 92 would do).
    I work on the basis of winning every home game and drawing every away game or the equivalent.
    Other lifers criticise me for that ambition, that it piles on undue pressure. So my desire for such success must explain why last season was so dire and almost the worst in our history.
    At least one person associated with Charlton Athletic finished the season on a high.
  • Options
    The question would be, what would he have done if Oxford were playing Charlton yesterday?
    Undoubtedly supporting Charlton as increasing the value of his shares is the main priority 
  • Options
    Most managers haven't grown up supporting the clubs they manage at. In fact, I'd say it's virtually unheard of, although there would've undoubtedly be a couple from over the years, before someone posts a list
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    I just wish people got this wound up when burger boy, sandgaard and the t*TS with teeth were wandering the corridors of the Valley. 
    I think people were a tad miffed at the latter from time to time, in fairness, TCE? 
  • Options
    edited May 19
    Can I take it that Charlie has now left Wembley, so we can all get back on track with the important stuff, like life...🙄
  • Options
    I get what you’re saying Swisdom but there is definitely something about Charlie boy that makes my teeth itch.
    I’ve never watched that Sunderland thing so can only speak as I find.
    I’m hoping I get to eat humble pie and will apologise profusely if so.

But………..
  • Options
    The proof of the pudding and all that.
    After the recent supporting experience with regard to Charlton I make no apologies for scepticism.
    Get results.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My last visit to Wembley. 1923 Cup final.
    Limited Zeppelin parking as I recall.

• Options
    Nug said:
    The fact Oxford look like they’re going up and we were 16th bothers me more, but I agree with AFKA, we are so beige right now.
    Hardly Methvens fault that we are beige, hopefully he will be part of a change.
    If he wore it or celebrated an Oxford goal or victory over us at the game, or on social media whilst still involved with us, then it’s a problem.
  • Options
    He’s a wanker. 
  • Options
    robroy said:
    He’s a wanker. 
    Possibly. But supporting Oxford doesn’t change that surely? 
  • Options
    robroy said:
    He’s a wanker. 
    Only personally know 3 oxford fans, all wankers. Im sure there must be good ones. 
  • Options
    robroy said:
    He’s a wanker. 
    Only personally know 3 oxford fans, all wankers. Im sure there must be good ones. 
    Robert Maxwell?
  • Options
    He hasn’t done anything alarmingly out of order so far and still has my tacit approval.
    Understandable that given the succession of utter wankers we have had at the helm for the last few years that there’s an automatic apprehension about any new faces around the place but up to now I’ve not got the impression that he’s going to be a dud.
    Must say I’m somewhat miffed at some of the personal stuff that’s been thrown about, why make an enemy out of the bloke for no reason.
    Incidentally, I have no concerns whatsoever re him being at Wembley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    robroy said:
    He’s a wanker. 
     FFS…..🤨

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    I see more of the usual shit from the usual protagonists.  It's a very odd hill to die on if you ask me!

It's clear to see the club had a dreadful season on the pitch but what many aren't noticing are the strides we are making off the pitch in terms of back-office recruitment (the number and the quality), the manager is going to change a lot up on the pitch this summer, we are going to have a bowling green of a pitch and there are numerous initiatives going on with local residents, the link-up with Mount Pleasant (the only professional academy in the Caribbean), more fan-engagement at the ground soon, marketing advances (Footballco), increased investment within our fantastic academy

There's a huge amount going on that we don't see and it's all building blocks for the future of OUR club.  They won't get every decision right first time but they are learning and they are evolving.  There is more to be positive about at the club than there has been for a very long time.  Maybe some of the fans should focus on supporting the club rather than sniping from behind their keyboards.

It's going to be a long summer at this rate but, as I have said many many times, it's never dull being an Addick
    Bang smack on the money!! But as we know, there are certain people, who have an opinion because of the school and history with Sunderland... 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I see more of the usual shit from the usual protagonists.  It's a very odd hill to die on if you ask me!

It's clear to see the club had a dreadful season on the pitch but what many aren't noticing are the strides we are making off the pitch in terms of back-office recruitment (the number and the quality), the manager is going to change a lot up on the pitch this summer, we are going to have a bowling green of a pitch and there are numerous initiatives going on with local residents, the link-up with Mount Pleasant (the only professional academy in the Caribbean), more fan-engagement at the ground soon, marketing advances (Footballco), increased investment within our fantastic academy

There's a huge amount going on that we don't see and it's all building blocks for the future of OUR club.  They won't get every decision right first time but they are learning and they are evolving.  There is more to be positive about at the club than there has been for a very long time.  Maybe some of the fans should focus on supporting the club rather than sniping from behind their keyboards.

It's going to be a long summer at this rate but, as I have said many many times, it's never dull being an Addick
    I know you’re a good man but there’s not one set of clownership where you’ve come out and cnuted any of them off , when we were all calling Roland an meire a pair of back and fronts you tried to stick up for them one ownership you’ll be right … let’s hope it’s this one !

These new owners who oversaw our worst finish in 98 years have only one way to go 
    anything but promotion is and will be continued failure .
    Promotion won’t mean much if we don’t have the set up behind it to maintain it, as happened in 2019-20 when Bowyer and Gallen found out that working on a Roland Duchatelet shoe string budget can only take you so far.

Promotion next season would be an ideal start but I’d prefer a different barometer of success: to be an established second tier team within 4-5 seasons. If we’re not there by ‘28/29 ish (or they pack up and leave before then) that’s when I’d consider this ownership a failure.
    We have to get the team and playing squad right ,that’s the obvious ‘set up’ that matters and the right backing should hopefully lead to that with proper scouting etc 
    Ipswich banged in there and took off 
    having the right marketing team trying to flog league one shit or even championship football isn’t what’s important , get it right on the pitch and the rest becomes a lot easier .
    a little bit more backing of bowyer we could have made safety easily, a brain that could have said Lyle we’ll get you insurance for the last 9 games if you play that could have kept us up .

• Options
    edited May 20
    Swisdom said:

I know you’re a good man but there’s not one set of clownership where you’ve come out and cnuted any of them off , when we were all calling Roland an meire a pair of back and fronts you tried to stick up for them one ownership you’ll be right … let’s hope it’s this one !

These new owners who oversaw our worst finish in 98 years have only one way to go 
    Promotion won’t mean much if we don’t have the set up behind it to maintain it, as happened in 2019-20 when Bowyer and Gallen found out that working on a Roland Duchatelet shoe string budget can only take you so far.

Promotion next season would be an ideal start but I’d prefer a different barometer of success: to be an established second tier team within 4-5 seasons. If we’re not there by ‘28/29 ish (or they pack up and leave before then) that’s when I’d consider this ownership a failure.
    We have to get the team and playing squad right ,that’s the obvious ‘set up’ that matters and the right backing should hopefully lead to that with proper scouting etc 
    Ipswich banged in there and took off 
    having the right marketing team trying to flog league one shit or even championship football isn’t what’s important , get it right on the pitch and the rest becomes a lot easier .
    a little bit more backing of bowyer we could have made safety easily, a brain that could have said Lyle we’ll get you insurance for the last 9 games if you play that could have kept us up .

Bang, smack on the money!
  • Options
    edited May 20
    Swisdom said:

Spot on. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Swisdom said:

You forgot the punch line...."This is what you could have won"...🙄
  • Options
    I don’t dislike the man and to his credit he brought the American investors to our party 
    I can’t say I’m keen on the Oxford photo - it just seems rather unprofessional to me and a bit unnecessary. If I had a role at Charlton and was an Oxford fan - I would have gone but kept a lower profile ! 
  • Options
    Would be interested to know if CM was in the Bolton changing room after the match, trying to persuade Santos, or any other half decent Bolton player to sign for us.