Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Solly - midfielder ?

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
Could Chris Solly be converted into a box to box midfielder?

His lack of height would be less of a factor, he likes a tackle, has a reasonable turn of pace and can finish as he showed against Orient. The only question for me, mainly because I've only seen his matches at The Valley for the first team, is how good is his passing? Mind you it can't be worse than the present incumbents can it?!

Comments

• Options
    Len, I expect better of you.

As a respected elder statesman of the board you should know better than to

NOT PUT THE TOPIC OF THE DISCUSSION IN THE *&%$£*" TITLE

It's bad enough when the youngsters do it with they "Do you think" and "Does anyone agree" but now you. : - )

As for Solly, yes he can. He could be the new Keith Jones (and that is a big complement from me) but lets give him a proper run out at right back, something he's never really had due to injuries, first to show what he can do.
  • Options
    Sneaky edit there Len, I'll let you off this time but don't do it again or its "Into the Valley" for you! : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Sneaky edit there Len, I'll let you off this time but don't do it again or its "Into the Valley" for you! : - )

When did they hand you the keys to the board?

:-)
  • Options
    He used to play as a centre-mid didn't he?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Sneaky edit there Len, I'll let you off this time but don't do it again or its "Into the Valley" for you! : - )

When did they hand you the keys to the board?

:-)

They haven't, the ungrateful sods.
  • Options
    I've only seen him at full back but I think he could. Him and Jenkinson have both occasionally played CM in reserve/youth games in the last few years.

Not sure to what level but I'd definitely like to see how he'd play in CM.
  • Options
    Not many true box to box midfielders at the top level anymore.

Solly is perfectly capable at full back, no need to convert him to another position.
  • Options
    No he couldnt.
  • Options
    Always though Konchesky should've swallowed his pride and played there for us.

Havent really seen Solly on the ball enough to comment.
  • Options
    I suggested this myself on a thread not long ago so obviously I agree. In fact although we all seem to hate Dennis Wise with a vengeance, they are of similar stature, and I certainly would welcome the combative Solly in place of McDonald and even Racon. I could see no harm in CP giving it a go in training etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes I think he could, has played there a little before and has some good attributes which would suggest he could do a job. Then again so could Jenkinson.

Also with Francis and Jenkinson also available at RB, Solly's chances of a run at RB seem slim atm.
  • Options
    Found one of my old threads but interested in what people might think now....
  • Options
    Think Wilson would be a more likely candidate
  • Options
    Would rather he went back to right back he's wasted on the left
  • Options
    happened to be looking through some old programmes the other day actually, and in the one just after he signed a new contract it said that he can also play as a midfielder, which i didn't know.
  • Options
    Not a big enough figure for box to box, nor does he suit a winger role. Right back for him.

• Options
    at one time I thought he could do a job there .. now .. wide on the right ? .. possibly, in cenral midfield? .. no
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I wonder if he could play at right back.

• Options
    Scored his one and only goal when he came on as a central midfielder against Orient
  • Options
    I'd just like to have him as a right back again to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2012
    MattD said:

Not a big enough figure for box to box, nor does he suit a winger role. Right back for him.

Chris is comfortable on the ball. Decent pace, can tackle, decent striker of the ball, keeps things simple, good engine and attitude. Of course he could play in midfield. As for height. Not stopped Messi has it.

• Options
    No.
  • Options
    No. He will be a Premiership right-back...
  • Options
    Square pegs in round holes. He's a right back - end of.
  • Options
    I thought that,Cris Solly in midfield,I did surgest it to him last season and he said no way would he play in midfield.