Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 22nd August 1998. Charlton 5 Southampton 0

2»

Comments

• Options
    Definitely released a video/DVD SE9, remember watching it on the coach to an away game later that season!
  • Options
    Ah great, I'll try and dig it out. My claim to fame is remonstrating with the ref during the game, Paul jones saved a shot in front of the covered end, I placed it down for a corner but the ref gave a goal kick ! Went home and watched on motd (I think) and turned out I was right !!!
  • Options
    Was well annoyed with Clive I had 4 nil
  • Options
    Fantastic day I was their so to my cousin(man utd fan) dont know why he came he just sat there! Lol
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Top of the Premier!
  • Options
    what a day. the excitement about playing top flight at the valley and then our team absolutely delivering. then going to the welcome inn for our usually post match drink and who should walk in.... new signing Chris Powell. we chatted for ages at the bar with him..something told us then he was going to be a cafc legend.

we are top of the league.
  • Options
    It was twenty years ago today

(well 2 days ago it was)
  • Options
    I was 7 at the time. And biggest that stuck out for me that day was that fat bloke not wearing a t shirt(saints fan) trying to force his way past the stewards.
  • Options
    didn't see it

West Stand Upper supporters took our seats in Jimmy Seed
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Was there any truth in the rumour that Jonny Jonny Robinson thought there was a prize (a car ??) for the first goal scored in the Premier League that season ??

Also thought Super Clive's hat trick was a bit tainted because it was against a stand in goal-keeper after theirs was sent off (no sub goalies in those days)......and that he scuffed his hat trick goal.

(so little things to worry about in them days)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember it well, what a roll we were on only to end up relegated.
  • Options

Was there any truth in the rumour that Jonny Jonny Robinson thought there was a prize (a car ??) for the first goal scored in the Premier League that season ??

Also thought Super Clive's hat trick was a bit tainted because it was against a stand in goal-keeper after theirs was sent off (no sub goalies in those days)......and that he scuffed his hat trick goal.

(so little things to worry about

Maybe so.
    But the hatrick he got before that one is in my opinion the best hatrick I have ever seen.

• Options
    What a day. And now......
  • Options

(well 2 days ago it was)

Unbelievable. Where has the time gone.

I've a horrible feeling it might be 20 years from now before we ever see a Charlton team performing like that in the top league.
  • Options

(well 2 days ago it was)

I've a horrible feeling it might be 20 years from now before we ever see a Charlton team performing like that in the top league.
    If we'd had a goalkeeper, we'd have stayed up that season . I wonder if that would have made a difference; we were better when we came up the second time (with Jensen, JJ and Kiely)
  • Options
    I forgot where I parked. Panic is my overriding memory.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

(well 2 days ago it was)

If we'd had a goalkeeper, we'd have stayed up that season . I wonder if that would have made a difference; we were better when we came up the second time (with Jensen, JJ and Kiely)
    The return game at The Dell was miserable. Pretty much knew we were down after that.
  • Options
    Pringle said:

wmcf123 said:

(well 2 days ago it was)

The return game at The Dell was miserable. Pretty much knew we were down after that.
    Yes- Sasa let another one through his body . Grim.
  • Options
    Thought we were going to win the league..
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Pringle said:

wmcf123 said:

(well 2 days ago it was)

Yes- Sasa let another one through his body . Grim.
    Sasa was never the same keeper after his head injury at Chelsea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

(well 2 days ago it was)

Agreed, Ilic was terrible after the injury, Royce was decent but injury prone and Petterson never seemed to save anything.