Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 28th August 1920. Norwich City 1 Charlton 2

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
28th August 1920. Norwich City 1 Charlton Athletic 2 (Legg, Smith). The Nest. Att 1,000.

Charlton: Oliver, J Mitchell, Llewelin, Jewhurst, Bowers, Dunn, Kingsley, Wise, Smith, Legg, Mills.

Charlton make a winning start to their life as a profesional side.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2007
    I've only lived in Norwich since '97, so I don' t remember the game.....:-)

I've dug this out about the ground:-

"The Nest, Norwich City’s home ground for 27 years between 1908 and 1935, was situated in a disused chalk pit off Rosary Road – and while it had a character all of it’s own it certainly wasn’t the safest place in the world to watch football, or play it come to that.

Footballers risked injury by crashing into the massive concrete wall which held up the cliff that dominated the arena and rose sheer, barely a couple of feet from the touchline. And the manner in which up to 20,000 fans regularly crammed into the precarious looking stands built into the old quarry would have had ground safety officers in a real panic had they existed in those days."

of=50,571,442
  • Options
    Looking at the picture, Wow! what a fantastically eccentric ground.

Apart from, as usual in all our matches, coming back from two goals down to win 2-1........no, I wasn't there.
    It was the first match I'd missed since 1905. ;-)
  • Options
    Great pic and another chalk pit ground, like The Valley. Are there many more?
  • Options
    from looking at the picture and then the official attendance, there would appear to be the slightest hint of attendance fiddling going on !!!!
  • Options
    is there a tree growing through the stand???
  • Options
    and I bet they were singing 'on the ball, city' back in those days
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]from looking at the picture and then the official attendance, there would appear to be the slightest hint of attendance fiddling going on !!!!

Sorry AFKA, this wasn't a picture taken at our game, this was just one a found.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]from looking at the picture and then the official attendance, there would appear to be the slightest hint of attendance fiddling going on !!!!

couldn't have been our game. that is the away end ;-)

intresting to see 'swan vestas' advertising at norwich back then.
    didn't one of the stands burn down in the 80's?