Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We scored from a CORNER.........(!)

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
Outswinging corner from right by-line taken right-footed by Lloyd Sam (Charlton) to centre, headed goal by Patrick McCarthy (Charlton) (top-right of goal) from right side of penalty area (12 yards).Charlton 4-3 Stockport.

I don't believe it !!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Dicko, Ketters and myself spent all night talking about how we never score from corners, then McCarthorse goes and bangs one in.
  • Options
    Is that the first since Hughes against Birmingham in January 2006 ???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Is that the first since Hughes against Birmingham in January 2006 ???

I can't think of another one since!
  • Options
    Wasn't there a spell in the Prem when we seemed to pose a real threat on corners? Herman was the obvious threat, with Perry / Fortune, Hughes, and even Holland weighing in with headers. Perhaps it was just good delivery from Claus. Couldn't quite judge angles from my position at the other end but in the first half v Stockport, Sam appeared to put in a series of crosses and corners that looked pretty inviting and kept well clear of the keeper. Great to see one finally converted. Over all, delivery seems much improved with Dennis gone and Ambrose / Reid supplying.
  • Options
    I think we looked threatening at corners during Paolo Di Canio's stint.

Claus was never that great though better than many. I remember watching Beckham at the Valley just wishing we could take one corner per game as good as thise he consistently put across.

A slightly unrelated question: are we still as crap at throw-ins? Under Curbs I was convinced a Charlton throw was an advantage to the opposition.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Bangkokaddick[/cite]I think we looked threatening at corners during Paolo Di Canio's stint.
    A slightly unrelated question: are we still as crap at throw-ins? Under Curbs I was convinced a Charlton throw was an advantage to the opposition.

Too right we are.

Since Herman left, we don't seem to have anyone to take the really long throw. Remember at Stoke last week, the long throw being propelled right into the centre of our box?
    Even Weaver flapped at them and our centre backs struggled to clear.

Why aren't we using a tactic like that?

Also, we never seem switched on to take a quick throw. There never seems to be enough movement to create space - and then to cap it all. the player who has shaped to take the throw then drops the ball down for another player to throw. Meanwhile we are marked out of existance, and any advantage is long gone.

Phew! Got that off my chest....... ;o)