Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MATCH PREVIEW: Charlton Athletic vs Bristol City - Saturday 10th October 2026 - 12:30pm Kick-Off

24

Comments

  • msomerton
    msomerton Posts: 3,680
    With out a defense which was a bedrock for NJ, and midfielders who are technically not good enough to keep the ball, then I reckon 3-o to them. 
  • 2121
    2121 Posts: 1,885
    Tbf, with the poor form and injuries, the international break came at a good time. Lets hope we have reset. 
  • wolfgang
    wolfgang Posts: 1,315
    se9addick said:
    Jones maintained that things would change after the international break. Well, it’s after the international break, let’s hope that things change. 
    He meant change for the worse.
  • wolfgang
    wolfgang Posts: 1,315
    scruffle said:
    can see us going back to 5-3-2 for this;

    Arthur
    Ramsey Biden Jones Billy Mesic
    Skip Cov Mwamba
    Leaburn Campbell
    I like the balance of your team, but I am not sure playing Sleepy Joe at CB will help.
  • Briston_Addick
    Briston_Addick Posts: 14,320
    We've got a game tomorrow?

    Bollox. There was me thinking the season had been ended in an act of kindness.

    Oh well.

    Bloody early start for me tomorrow, the only saving grace being I should be home whilst it's still light.

    Prediction: a dull first half, with both sides struggling to get into a rhythm again ... followed by a dull second half as they realise they can't be arsed and there's another match to play in a few days' time.

    1-1
  • Leuth
    Leuth Posts: 24,707
    msomerton said:
    With out a defense which was a bedrock for NJ, and midfielders who are technically not good enough to keep the ball, then I reckon 3-o to them. 
    Except we have our whole first-choice defence fit, and for their flaws, if there's one thing Coventry and Skipp are really good at it's keeping the ball? Honestly ffs
  • msomerton
    msomerton Posts: 3,680
    Leuth said:
    msomerton said:
    With out a defense which was a bedrock for NJ, and midfielders who are technically not good enough to keep the ball, then I reckon 3-o to them. 
    Except we have our whole first-choice defence fit, and for their flaws, if there's one thing Coventry and Skipp are really good at it's keeping the ball? Honestly ffs
    Have you seen our possession stats, that is not keeping the ball. 
  • Leuth
    Leuth Posts: 24,707
    msomerton said:
    Leuth said:
    msomerton said:
    With out a defense which was a bedrock for NJ, and midfielders who are technically not good enough to keep the ball, then I reckon 3-o to them. 
    Except we have our whole first-choice defence fit, and for their flaws, if there's one thing Coventry and Skipp are really good at it's keeping the ball? Honestly ffs
    Have you seen our possession stats, that is not keeping the ball. 
    Our central midfield can keep the ball, but then, they either have to give it back to our defence, who pump it forward and lose it, or to our attacking players, who, unless they're Leaburn sometimes or Campbell sometimes, will run into someone and lose it 
  • Chunes
    Chunes Posts: 19,168
    edited October 9
    Leuth said:
    msomerton said:
    Leuth said:
    msomerton said:
    With out a defense which was a bedrock for NJ, and midfielders who are technically not good enough to keep the ball, then I reckon 3-o to them. 
    Except we have our whole first-choice defence fit, and for their flaws, if there's one thing Coventry and Skipp are really good at it's keeping the ball? Honestly ffs
    Have you seen our possession stats, that is not keeping the ball. 
    Our central midfield can keep the ball, but then, they either have to give it back to our defence, who pump it forward and lose it, or to our attacking players, who, unless they're Leaburn sometimes or Campbell sometimes, will run into someone and lose it 
    Whether we think they can keep the ball or not, the midfield is still the genuine weakness of this team. Especially without Chalobah. 
  • se9addick
    se9addick Posts: 33,433
    wolfgang said:
    se9addick said:
    Jones maintained that things would change after the international break. Well, it’s after the international break, let’s hope that things change. 
    He meant change for the worse.
    Disappointing, it appears I have been misled. 

  • Sponsored links:



  • DOUCHER
    DOUCHER Posts: 9,183
    Okonkwo
    Ramsay Koumetio Jones Bell 
    Coventry Skipp
    Grant Leaburn Campbell
    Kelman 


    Get Edwards on for Bell second half + alli and/or the young ex wimbledon chap on for Kelman second half and switch Leaburn up top - maybe give Mbick the last 10 up top.
  • scruffle
    scruffle Posts: 2,449
    wolfgang said:
    scruffle said:
    can see us going back to 5-3-2 for this;

    Arthur
    Ramsey Biden Jones Billy Mesic
    Skip Cov Mwamba
    Leaburn Campbell
    I like the balance of your team, but I am not sure playing Sleepy Joe at CB will help.
    I'd love for us to keep trying the 4231 but we don't have a 10 or a r/w of required quality in the squad so I think he'll go back to being solid for a bit, and look again in Jan or when challobah is fit, what ever happens first.
  • DOUCHER
    DOUCHER Posts: 9,183
    scruffle said:
    wolfgang said:
    scruffle said:
    can see us going back to 5-3-2 for this;

    Arthur
    Ramsey Biden Jones Billy Mesic
    Skip Cov Mwamba
    Leaburn Campbell
    I like the balance of your team, but I am not sure playing Sleepy Joe at CB will help.
    I'd love for us to keep trying the 4231 but we don't have a 10 or a r/w of required quality in the squad so I think he'll go back to being solid for a bit, and look again in Jan or when challobah is fit, what ever happens first.
    i'd persevere with it at home but solid it up away from home - no way can we start with 2 wingers and 2 strikers away from home again
  • jonseventyfive
    jonseventyfive Posts: 3,568
    Thank heavens we're playing again saved me from going to Rushden or corby,  head saying draw but as ever heart saying we can do this,  1-0 Addicks. 
  • 801912601
    801912601 Posts: 689
    Arthur
    Ramsey Jones Billy Mesic
    Skip Cov
    Knibbs or Carey
    Grant Leaburn Campbell

    Would be my choice 
  • fenaddick
    fenaddick Posts: 23,440
    I think it'll be a 4231 but it won't be Leaburn + Kelman

    Okonkwo
    Ramsay Jones Koumetio Bell
    Coventry Skipp
    Grant Carey TC
    Leaburn

    I know Carey has been poor this season but with Coventry and Skipp in the 6 you need someone who shows for the ball and will drive forward in the 10. Either that or a facilitator to get it to a proper wide man but Alli doesn't seem good enough for that. I'd also prefer Mesík over Bell but Bell has been at SL the whole time while Mesík hasn't
  • NabySarr
    NabySarr Posts: 6,639
    Carey, Knibbs and Costello have had 2 weeks in training to push their case to start in the 10. I’d give it to whoever has done that the most over the last 2 weeks. 

    Rest of the team picks itself really, Grant back out on the right, hopefully Koumetio back in at CB. Think we might see Bell at left back and then Mesik there on Tuesday 
  • clive
    clive Posts: 20,858
    • Charlton have won one of their last six league games against Bristol City (D2 L3), a 3-2 win in December 2019.
    • Following a 2-1 win at Charlton last season, Bristol City are looking to win consecutive away league games against the Addicks for the first time ever.
    • Charlton Athletic have kept three consecutive home league clean sheets, with their last two games at the Valley ending 0-0. Burnley in January 2025 were the last Championship side to have three 0-0s at home in a row.
    • Bristol City have won four of their last six league games, as many as they managed in their previous 17 games combined (D5 L8).
    • Bristol City’s Rio Cardines has created the most chances (31) and assisted the most goals (6) in the Championship this season. He has an assist in all four away appearances so far – on record since 2013-14, the only player with an assist in five consecutive away Championship games is Femi Azeez for Millwall between January and March earlier this year.
    https://www.efl.com/news/2026/october/09/sky-bet-championship--pre-match-stat-pack/
  • RonnieMoore
    RonnieMoore Posts: 5,691
    Just not feeling it .. this three weeks has been ridiculous .. can’t get back into the football feeling personally think they ruined this season .. no one knows how the teams are going to return .. league positions and form mean nothing now it’s start again … both us and Bristol had decent starts but means very little …. can’t even predict our team . Might even see change in our system with Ramsey Mesik Jones Billy and Edwards all starting ???? we just don’t know .. think it will be a draw as both teams get going again 
  • RaplhMilne
    RaplhMilne Posts: 4,783
    I think we have just become way to soft a touch.  Play littered with individual errors, and lack of team cohesion. Hope the break will have given us a chance to work on that. However, think another dull home draw is on the cards. 

  • Sponsored links:



  • wolfgang
    wolfgang Posts: 1,315
    edited October 9
    NabySarr said:
    Carey, Knibbs and Costello have had 2 weeks in training to push their case to start in the 10. I’d give it to whoever has done that the most over the last 2 weeks. 

    Despite the usual answer being "none of the above"? I think NJ has washed his hands of them (plus Apter).
  • wolfgang
    wolfgang Posts: 1,315
    I think we have just become way to soft a touch.  Play littered with individual errors, and lack of team cohesion. Hope the break will have given us a chance to work on that. However, think another dull home draw is on the cards. 
    I will settle for dull draws until Chalobah is back and firing on all cylinders, at least until the January window (and remembering that there is another international break coming up before then).
  • LargeAddick
    LargeAddick Posts: 34,655
    scruffle said:
    can see us going back to 5-3-2 for this;

    Arthur
    Ramsey Biden Jones Billy Mesic
    Skip Cov Mwamba
    Leaburn Campbell
    In trouble if Joe Biden is playing at centre half.
  • bertpalmer
    bertpalmer Posts: 1,838
    is Chalobah definately out,what is the injury? how long? id probably like to see kellman up top with leaburn just behind,dont know where grant fits in ,on the right perhaps,this is a massive game for us imo
  • BansteadAddick
    BansteadAddick Posts: 1,171
    The three week break just has not taken the Cardiff performance out of my memory. It was relegation form and some. Recent matches with Bristol City have not been too good for the Addicks. Hope I am wrong but I predict another lunchtime disaster, 2-0 to City.
  • Blucher
    Blucher Posts: 4,429
    I’m pretty sure that Nathan said in an earlier interview that Chalobah would need longer than the international break to get fit. To achieve some semblance of balance, I’d also play an attacking midfielder, even though neither Carey of Knibbs have made a case out for inclusion (not that we’ve seen anything much of Knibbs). 

    Let’s hope we can regain some defensive stability after the disastrous performance at Cardiff and we can get a couple of breaks at the other end. 

    Really important to get a result with the two away games coming up against out of form Burnley and Watford.
  • Southbank
    Southbank Posts: 6,007
    Leuth said:
    msomerton said:
    With out a defense which was a bedrock for NJ, and midfielders who are technically not good enough to keep the ball, then I reckon 3-o to them. 
    Except we have our whole first-choice defence fit, and for their flaws, if there's one thing Coventry and Skipp are really good at it's keeping the ball? Honestly ffs
    Yes passing the ball is the problem
  • Southbank
    Southbank Posts: 6,007
    scruffle said:
    wolfgang said:
    scruffle said:
    can see us going back to 5-3-2 for this;

    Arthur
    Ramsey Biden Jones Billy Mesic
    Skip Cov Mwamba
    Leaburn Campbell
    I like the balance of your team, but I am not sure playing Sleepy Joe at CB will help.
    I'd love for us to keep trying the 4231 but we don't have a 10 or a r/w of required quality in the squad so I think he'll go back to being solid for a bit, and look again in Jan or when challobah is fit, what ever happens first.
    Absolutely. He has tried I think 6 players at 10 with nobody convincing so a change of formation may be on the cards. It might mean a defensive lineup tho as Mesik is the only real wingback we have.
  • soapy_jones
    soapy_jones Posts: 21,877
    That feeling of Charlton kicking you in the nuts and fucking over the rest of your weekend...

    I knew something's been missing!
  • satindoors
    satindoors Posts: 265
    COYR