Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Proudest Charlton Moment

Over the years you have supported Charlton what was the proudest moment, it's the moment when you look back you think - that's the one moment in supporting Charlton that I want to remember for all my days.

Ok I'm sure there are lots, especially for an older supporter like myself, but to me the one defining moment wasn't any of the promotions, nor the return to The Valley nor the play off final.

For me it was last season outside Ewood Park as coach after coach after coach of cheering Charlton supporters arrived into Blackburn. It brought everything that is unique about our club together, the commitment of the Directors and fans together with that optimism that any Charlton fan has to have.

Pity about the match itself!

What's your proudest moment?

Comments

• Options
    When the teams walked out for the first game back at the valley.

Still get a lump in the throat when I watch the video of the game that I taped from ITV.
  • Options
    Pity the majority of fans who turned up there that day were there on a freebie..........Oops sorry i forgot football these days is an expensive day out ;-)

For me it was the clean up of the Valley in 1989. It gave everyone so much hope that we were on our way back.
  • Options
    Sorry my last comment was about the blackurn game. Not the 1st game back at the The Valley!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    1st home game back in the top flight vs Southampton.

It wasnt the score or anything, just seeing my beloved team back at The Valley, back in the top flight, after all those years of being the joke of South London.
  • Options
    I must admit the Spurs relegation Valley Floyd Road was bloody moving, and then the way we carried on and ignored Defoe's goal.

Though that amount of Charlton fans singing the words "many miles have i travelled etc etc" kind of rings a tad lame when you say remember the 300 or so we took to Villa Away last season :-(
  • Options
    Wembley is the obvious choice, I guess, but in reality it was after we beat Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the Carling Cup a couple of years ago. The Bryan Hughes penalty to win the game. As I came out the ground I was faced by a couple of Chelsea chavs shouting "We are top of the league & you are scum". I looked them in the eye and said "Yeah, & we are 2nd in the league (cos we were at the time) & we've just beaten you!!". They both turned around & walked away without another word. I was actually bursting with pride at that moment.
  • Options
    nice one! :-)
  • Options
    Seeing 10'000 Addicks at Old Trafford in the FA cup. Made me realise the potential really was there to grow.
  • Options
    Mine was being in the Town hall when they granted us the move back to the Valley, after that my son when he was mascot out on his own on the pitch at highbury after the players had finished warming up banging the ball in the net whilst the players were in the tunnel waiting, stewards had to go and get him off the pitch so they could come out of the tunnel.
    Henry told him his yellow kit was crap, Holland stuck up for him.
    We was 2-0 down by the time we got to the stands!
  • Options
    taking my son to his first game and the first game back tie for it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Being a allowed to play in the "young uns" charity game as a sub, to play on the pitch is one thing, but to appear with your son and grandsons thats something special (to me anyway)
  • Options
    obviously Wembley (not v Blackburn), old trafford away with 10000 was good. But better than that was the promotion at Carlisle when Lennie took us up and the celebrations in Blackpool that top anything else.
  • Options
    Forgot about that one.

Mr T driving the coach (you've got 5 minutes to give them a slap and then I'm leaving)

Me throwing up all the way home, happy days!
  • Options
    It's hard to choose one.

Taking my two oldest daughters to The Valley for the first time for the 4-3 Southend game when Pards scored at the death and we sat in the new East Stand, everything about the Play-off final, the way Curbs laughed and said "I'm glad somebody does" when my then 11 year old middle daughter said to him after we played Barnsley "I think you're a good manager even if other people don't" - he was getting flak even then! The 6-2 win against Southampton circa 1976. I thought the sky was going to be the limit after that match then Gliksten sold Killer.

I could come up with more.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    i know it's an odd one...

but a few years back when arsenal where in the middle of their amazing run, and we gave them such a good game, with di canio chipping lehman. i loved everything about that moment. even when henry equalised with that amazing free kick, i was proud to see our little team battle it out against players of his calibre.

or leeds away 01? when we won 1-2 after being 1 down and parker scored an awesome goal after running from the half way line. i don't think any other pretty average 11 year old kid enjoyed getting spat on by scummy leeds fans as much as i did after that goal.
  • Options
    More personal than Charlton, but sitting munching a chicken kebab about midnight at home after the Charity Day at The Valley, knowing that everyone had felt part of it and enjoyed it, i doubt i'll feel better Charlton wise than that.

Purely Charlton, all co-incidently in the last minutes of games,

the chorus of 'Charlton are back' in the Covered End on the first game back
    the spontaneous round of applause given to Curbs at the end of the Blackburn game
    the VFR at the end of the Spurs game, particularly when they scored.

Games and goals are exciting, but different to 'proud' moments
  • Options
    nice post afka dude
  • Options
    Wembley, for me has it has to be, especially walking to the pub (in Stanmore) in my Charlton logo teashirt and cars tooting me and giving me the thumbs up.

But close was the end of the UTD 3.3 match- no-one left early and nearly everyone must have stayed for a good 5 minutes to applaud the team and Ferguson genuinely praising us.

Also with Olster- some great games where we mixed with real class, Rooney's goal against us for Everton, Ginola destroying us, Henry (especially the backheal and free kick) are all moments i feel priviledged to have witnessed live, despite being against us.
  • Options
    Proudest Charlton moment? Couldn't possible pick one alone - Election night at the Woolwich town hall. Marching back to the Valley from General Gordon Square on the 5th of December. Charlton Beating Derby 2-0 in 1968? The office spontaniously applauding when I walked in to work on the monday after the play off. Answering 14 Charlton questions on Mastermind (although I stuffed the GK). Marching away from Old trafford after being relegated.
  • Options
    Ipswich play-off semi-final 1997 at the valley, was 8 years old and the atmosphere was incredible. The wembley version of 'Que Sera' was sung many times and seeing Sasa Ilic's arms raised up high in front of the covered end when newts scored the winner is something i will never forget.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am not sure:

The clear up Sunday and Town Hall and Wemberley already mentioned

I'll add the 5-1 win over Southampton in our first game in the premiership had a SouthStand Season Ticket the only way to get in was to upgrade to the West Stand (as the West Upper wasn't finished and they were relocated to the South) cost me like £200+ to get into that game.
  • Options
    Play off semi for me aswell, sitting in the East and even there the atmosphere was absolutely electric, can still remember everyone singing que sera sera at the end and getting goosebumps.The actual final, as incredible as it was, still didnt live up to that moment.
  • Options
    Laugh out loud moment - Paul Mortimer in the Snow at Senegal Fields/New London Stadium. Didn't he fall over two or three times before scoring?

Goosebumps - Play off Semi Final for me also - was out of the box that night and able to "feel" the electric atmosphere
  • Options
    Proudest moments....Old Trafford has to be up there in 94, seeing all the official coaches on the M6....I ran my own coach that day and had 50 on board from West Kingsdown where I lived. Loads already mentioned, Woolwich town hall, the march back to the Valley, Clean up Sunday, Listening to the playoff final on World service, the Ipswich game at the Valley, taking my kids to their first matches (My eldest son's first game was on the Sainsburys End at Sellout).
    My proudest moment though is just being a Charlton fan, this is a great club and I still believe that their are no other supporters in the land, who would fight adversity, share two grounds and end up with a great club and a superb stadium.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I have to admit the last few minutes of the Spurs game last season takes some beating. Blackburn last season - a fantastic day out spoiled by ninety minutes of football are but two. For me though, walking out to my seat on the East Stand, every game. As you come out from the tunnel and you feel the atmosphere and see the new stands all around you, it makes me think of where we've come from and what has been achieved. It makes my heart swell every time. Charlton 'Til I Die!!