Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Voice

edited August 2007 in General Charlton
Just flicked through No.45, letters page:

Haven't Steve and Alan figured it out yet ? We still need a striker. Our forwards couldn't score against a Diadora League outfit. So what i recommend is sell Scott Minto for £1m and buy Steve Portway from Gravesend and David Leworthy from Dover, then bring in Derek Hales as coach.

So come on Steve and Alan, what have you got to lose ? Portway and Leworthy are players for the future and future England strikers.

Johnathon Ackworth

Comments

• Ackworth used to have me in stitches. Where is he now?
  • I saw him last week, and he looks even more of a freak now
  • You couldn't make it up : - )
  • That is from Nov 93, and there is also a pic of Vince at Brescia, looking about, well 40.....
  • Good ol Bonkathon Backworth from Cupsid in Kent :)
  • edited August 2007
    Volume 48, March 94

Arsey letter defending the supporters director role, the inability of the role holder to tell people what is going on. and the decline of Voice to a 'bitter magazine'.

Ben Hayes
  • In fact, great stuff between Henry and the Rickster !!

We miss all these mini battles within the Charlton community. I'm off now to write a scathing piece on Inspector Sands.... :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Volume 48, March 94

Arsey letter defending the supporters director role, the inability of the role holder to tell people what is going on. and the decline of Voice to a 'bitter magazine'.

Ben Hayes

That must have been before I sold out and started writing for VOTV. Or maybe not :- )
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]In fact, great stuff between Henry and the Rickster !!

We miss all these mini battles within the Charlton community. I'm off now to write a scathing piece on Inspector Sands.... :-)

You should come to the Target 40,000 meetings. Nothing's changed.
  • I have about 100 copies of VOTV that I was gonna send to New York Addick until his missus threw a wobbler still got them all boxed up looking for a new home.
  • Sponsored links:

• Me, Me, Ketman!
  • I have copies of Goodbye Horse and one of the letters in there is from a bloke who bought the team suggested by Ackworth on a version of Football Manager - anyway, this team ended up in the old 4th division quite quickly!
  • I bet there is a letter from Large slagging off Leeeaaaburrrnnn.

Absolute guarantee every month :)
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]In fact, great stuff between Henry and the Rickster !!

Does that mean I can dust off my anti-AFKA post? Excellent!
  • edited August 2007
    Fight, fight, fight
  • God, just found out he lives round the corner from me.
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]God: just found out he lives round the corner from me.

Where do you live? Heaven?
  • Rest assured nobody has as many old copies of VOTV as I do . . .
  • Shouldn't have had so many printed then.

I've got an old copy of 'Library News' if you're interested Airman?
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]God: just found out he lives round the corner from me.

Where do you live? Heaven?

Hardly! Ackworth lives not far from here.
  • Sponsored links:

• ackworth charltons shame
  • LOL - Anyone remember the picture of him printed in the voice? Never sure whether it actually was him or just the editorial staff taking the piss - he looked a right muppet. The Voice pretty much sums up why I love this club - although a lot of teams' fanzines are pretty funny, none of them were ever as good as VOTV IMNSHO. I was devastated when it finished - though I enjoyed GBH as well it was much more like a 'real' fanzine - it just didn't have the 'feel' of the voice
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]LOL - Anyone remember the picture of him printed in the voice? Never sure whether it actually was him or just the editorial staff taking the piss - he looked a right muppet. The Voice pretty much sums up why I love this club - although a lot of teams' fanzines are pretty funny, none of them were ever as good as VOTV IMNSHO. I was devastated when it finished - though I enjoyed GBH as well it was much more like a 'real' fanzine - it just didn't have the 'feel' of the voice

No, that really was him. It was a good fanzine but of its time.
  • [cite]Posted By: Airman Brown[/cite]Rest assured nobody has as many old copies of VOTV as I do . . .

Are you waiting for the price to go up again : - )
  • I remeber being on the train to Derby away when they started selling the first edition.In my opinion the birth of VOTV was instrumental in us getting back to the valley.
  • In my opinion it was instrumental in the introduction of 3 ply toilet paper.

VOTV was only slightly better than that Izal stuff you used to get at school. ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]In my opinion it was instrumental in the introduction of 3 ply toilet paper.

VOTV was only slightly better than that Izal stuff you used to get at school. ;-)

Izal....? Izal McLeod?
  • Can't believe that his name actually is pronounced like the toilet paper...but seems to be if the commentators have got it right.
  • Let's hope he doesn't turn out to be s...
    Ducks.
  • "I've got an old copy of 'Library News' if you're interested Airman?"

With that I'm impressed!

Henry is absolutely right that the Voice was for its time. With hindsight I should probably have stopped it in 1998, but it was great fun while it lasted.