Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Egg chasing

As part of my learning, I'm off to the Stoop tonight to take photos during the Harlequins friendly against Connacht.

Can someone please explain.... Egg chasing? What's that all about?

;-)

Comments

• Options
    to go forwards you must go backwards young padawan.
  • Options
    Eh? What's the point of that?!
  • Options
    You ignoramous. ;-)
  • Options
    I also did not understand when they try to burrow through to the try line over & over again where everyone else is, far too many people in a small place, but apparently you are trying to suck in the people from out wide to defend the same part of the pitch then when there flank is exposed get the ball out wide & go for the line.

To me though it's all about men who like wrestling in mud :-)
  • Options
    For me the game died when it went Pro.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Advantages Sportmanship, Something different, England are the world champions!
    Disadvantages If the Aussies win, we may never , hear the last of it

A BRIEF HISTORY
    Rugby has its roots firmly in a public school environment. It is widely regarded as William Webb Ellis who started the revolution in 1823, when during a football match at Rugby school (no prizes for guessing where they got the name) he picked up the ball and ran the length of the pitch, triumphantly smashing the ball into his opponents net. The idea caught on, and many different versions of the same game emerged. Decades after Webb Ellis' antics (1871), these versions were unified by Rugby playing clubs, giving rise to the Rugby Football Union (RFU), which is still the governing body today. Although it took time for the game to develop, it seems fitting that the 'Webb Ellis Trophy' is awarded to the winner of the four-yearly Rugby World Cup Final, which has been running since 1987.

A TEAM OF TWO HALVES
    A rugby team consists of fifteen players, separated into forwards and backs. The forwards are generally big and burly, utilised in the scrum/line out/close-quarter play. Comparatively slow but powerful players, forwards perform the role of a battering ram, to make short gains in tight situations, and regain possession when in defence.
    Backs are quicker, more nimble players, used out wide to execute devastating attacking moves, or clear the lines when in defence. They also perform the kicking duties.

THE BASICS
    On first impressions, rugby appears to be a game with no rules. Then after a few minutes watching, there appear to be far too many. The pitch is split into territorial sections, with a scoring zone at each end, defined by 'try lines'. The main objective is to obtain downwards pressure on a ball touching the ground over this try line. You do not have to be holding the ball when you cross the line, you may kick forwards and fall on the ball should you wish. There are two large 'H' shaped posts at each end, which you have the opportunity to kick through when a try is scored, to obtain maximum points (a conversion). The closer you are to these posts when you score a try, the easier your kicking position will be for the conversion.

Scoring is achieved as follows:
    Try = 5 points
    Conversion = additional 2 points
    Penalties/Drop Goal = 3 points

The ball may be passed backwards but never forwards. This puts emphasis on running with the ball. When tackled to the ground whilst held by an opponent, you have to release the ball and stay still on the ground, or roll away. The trick is to have supporting team mates close by (preferably forwards), in order to retain possession when the tackled player releases the ball, by forming a ruck. If the tackled player fails to release the ball, possession is relinquished.
    The ball can be kicked to gain yardage, but unless you are deep in your own half (22m from your try line or less) the ball has to bounce before it leaves play. Unless you are kicking from a penalty, the opposition will get the throw in, thus having a better chance of regaining possession.

I find the territorial battles that unfold during play fascinating. Every inch of the pitch is contested in true gladiatorial style, with big hitting forwards, and exciting backs accelerating into their opponents half, desperately trying to breach the defences. It may look chaotic and disjointed, but every player is thinking and planning, drawing on their experience and training. When a side is on the ropes, you can see the pressure taking its toll, as you wait for the inevitable score.
    Much more a battle of attrition than football, a game that frequently transforms in an instant, rugby is more a game of chess, where one poor decision can leave you in real trouble for prolonged periods of time. The ebb and flow of a rugby match is far more absorbing than a game of football; the combination of complex tactics and physical conflict make for a fascinating spectacle.
  • Options
    Curbishley likes being chased by an Egg.
  • Options
    great game to play by the way.

Medders wait until there is a nice big ruck, this is when the forwards all pile into each other then wait for the boots to go in to try and get the ball out - shoud get some get boot to head shots.
  • Options
    Medders, you should see a couple of hookers down there as well.

let me know what they look like
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Ask if you can meet some of the players after the game. They'll tell you what it's all about.
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]For me the game died when it went Pro.

Agree with you there, DJDD. When Charlton Park got to the national league in 1996, it was the first season of pro rugby. Our first game was against Newbury who had just signed players from London Irish, Wasps and Quins to name but a few and we got mullered. That set the tone for the rest of the season. Up until then Charlton Park never had a problem attracting players particularily because we were / are a socialable club. Now players are only interested in playing for money rather than beer and it's killing rugby at grass roots level. There are are a lot of junior clubs that can only now put out two teams per week whereas ten years ago it was four or five. Charlton Park are down to four teams from seven ten years ago and, IMHO, it's all due to pro rugby.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]great game to play by the way.

Medders wait until there is a nice big ruck, this is when the forwards all pile into each other then wait for the boots to go in to try and get the ball out - shoud get some get boot to head shots.

I'll look out for that Ledge
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Medders, you should see a couple of hookers down there as well.

let me know what they look like

I can tell you now... they'll be short, stumpy and bald... but you can tell them that ;-)
  • Options
    Can anyone explain the offside rule in rugby please? I'm not convinced even the players out on the pitch understand it...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]Can anyone explain the offside rule in rugby please? I'm not convinced even the players out on the pitch understand it...

In simplistic terms during OPEN play the players in a given team have to be behind the ball. You will often get an accidental offside when the ball strikes another player and somebody else is in front of him.

From a scrum the threequarters have to be behind the rearmost foot of the Number 8 who is the bloke at the back of the scrum on his own. The scrum half and flankers (sometimes referred to as wing forwards) are not allowed to move until the ball is out of the scrum. If they move early they are deemed offside.

Hope this helps a bit! Maybe Valley can help but as a prop he was probably too far behind the ball to ever be offside:-)
  • Options
    Invented for blokes (and women) who are too fat and not skillfull enough to play football.
  • Options
    Thank you, Len. Now if I could just work out who the three quarters and the flankers are (I can usually manage to spot the scrum half), and read which one is the number 8, I'd be able to yell 'OFFSIDE' like I do at football...;-)

Mr Weegie has gone and spent a fortune on tickets for the RWC quarter final and final, so I need to brush up a bit!
  • Options
    "Invented for blokes (and women) who are too fat and not skillfull enough to play football."

Shit... I could have been a pro!
  • Options
    My wife, who is Argentinian is currently watching the egg chasers play France, where we live.

I'm on Charlton Life listening to Howard Jones.

'dont crack up
    bend your brain
    see four sides
    throw off your mental chains'

Need I say more.
  • Options
    The french are getting done at the moment jimmy so your wife must be loving it.
  • Options
    Sorry DJ, as a casual observer, the game is a far better spectacle now than pre-pro. Shame it spoils the game at grass roots level though.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    We have made all the ties for the competition this year as our biggest customer has the license.We made for the Ryder Cup last year.It was good to see the official opening the competition wearing a tie we had made.We have made ties for Charlton and the former players association before.So a plug for me company if any team or company needs ties let me know.Have made a custom made kit for Cray Wanderers this season and am pleased to see they progressed in F.A.Cup last week A.F.C. Wimbledon in next round so this is where I am beginning my road to Wembley,does anyone else follow a team and it's competitors through to Wembley.It would be interesting one year to go to all games from extra prelimery round through to final.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wales and Scotland get to play two games at home in the French hosted world cup????

WTF is that all about then? How biased can you get?

What about England, Italy and Ireland (or Portugal) getting to play at home?

The whole tournament has become a joke to me now, if a country the size of France cannot come up with enough stadia to host, then it should not have been awarded the tournament in the first place!
  • Options
    Union is a game for Poofs - League is the proper mans game!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Len Glover Wrote:

Hope this helps a bit! Maybe Valley can help but as a prop he was probably too far behind the ball to ever be offside:-)

When I played rugby I used my experience. Rather than chasing around like a lunatic, I'd guess where the ball might be in a few minutes and trundle over to that spot. So invariably, I was offside all of the time.