Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Report saying less kids playing football

This was on a news programme the other day, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.
It was stating that less kids were getting involved in football, being more interested in playing football on an X Box than going out and playing the real thing.
This was going to lead to to a fall in quality english players in the future etc.
Has anyone else seen this report, and does anyone believe it?
My experience is there are a lot more outlets for kids to get involved and most of them are taken up. Whether these do end up producing quality is a separate matter, but the early abilities of young kids I see seem to have shown a general improvement in the last 15 years.
Whether we keep up with other coutries on this is another matter, and a lot of kids seem to play too much football in my view. They often end up carrying knocks and minor injuries into several games because they are so enthusiatic to play.
But I did have one kid tell me earlier this year that he played all his football on the X Box because it improved his real football skills. The fact he could not kick a real ball to save his life seemed to elude him, but at least he has a well developed and coordinated thumb eh.

Comments

• my daughter goes to school in greenwich and the boys and girls are encouraged to play football, they have a choice but it's very popular,she is keen and she now Goes to see Charlton and now wants me to take her to see the Charlton womens team play again,we will go for sure.

Can remeber when i was a boy and we used to play footy in the street, we were more than happy then,how times have changed.

We had bugger all then but we stayed out of trouble and enjoyed ourselves.
  • Drive past Avery Hill Park on a Saturday morning. Have a look at the Bexley League website. Stop off at the Marathon Ground, Shooters Hill Road on any Sunday, AM or PM and then shove that report down the loo.
  • edited September 2007
    Spot on DJ Davey Dave, i can confirm Blackheath,Lee Green and Brockley are also areas that i visit on a sat morn which also are active with kids playing sports.
  • go to the park at the back of me on any weekend and the kids, inc mine, are over there playing footie for ages - even if it rains.
  • Is the report you mean the Lewis report?

I've got a copy and it says that last year the Directorate of Education reported "that 60% of all 11 year olds leaving primary school were "physically illiterate" meaning that they did not possess the basic ABC of physical movement - agility, balance, co-ordination. "

It goes on to say that "children to not play as much football as before" but doesn't give any figures or source for this statement
  • It's just a load of bollocks Henry. As are most "Reports"
    Don't eat liver when pregnant. My mum did and look at me!
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]It's just a load of bollocks Henry. As are most "Reports"
    Don't eat liver when pregnant. My mum did and look at me!

LOL - too true Davey. There is some interesting stuff on youth development but nothing that we didn't know or suspect already.

But don't worry. The premier league is the "best league in the world" and it will help England win the world cup.
    I remember them telling us that in 1992 so any time soon.
  • Well I would say that the standard of football has dropped over the last ten years at Grass roots level having played in kent, Surrey & hampshire leagues. Standard was far better 10 years ago than it is now, players are too obsessed with looking good wearing coloured boots & doing tricks rather than doing simple things like retaining possession of the ball. There are also far less teams in most leagues now & that is a fact.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Well I would say that the standard of football has dropped over the last ten years at Grass roots level having played in kent, Surrey & hampshire leagues. Standard was far better 10 years ago than it is now, players are too obsessed with looking good wearing coloured boots & doing tricks rather than doing simple things like retaining possession of the ball. There are also far less teams in most leagues now & that is a fact.

Are you listening Carlsberg? ;-)
  • "that 60% of all 11 year olds leaving primary school were "physically illiterate" meaning that they did not possess the basic ABC of physical movement - agility, balance, co-ordination. "

The FA are obessed with this, as are the RFU. There is a basic problem that a lot of kids playing football and rugby don't have the basic core stability to play at the highest level, and the even the ones that do, don't have it at the levels of their foreign oppents.
  • Sponsored links:

• i blame the parents
  • [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]There is a basic problem that a lot of kids playing football and rugby don't have the basic core stability to play at the highest level, and the even the ones that do, don't have it at the levels of their foreign oppents.

Well thats a load of bollocks for a start! Ive won the World Cup with England the last 4 times Ive played Pro Evo on the PS2!!
  • Good core stability sitting on your fat arse don't count ;o)
  • Get them a Nintendo Wii then.... ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]Drive past Avery Hill Park on a Saturday morning. Have a look at the Bexley League website. Stop off at the Marathon Ground, Shooters Hill Road on any Sunday, AM or PM and then shove that report down the loo.

Totally agree Dave - you can add the SELKent League into that equation too. The quality argument is a wholly seperate agrument, it's an indisputable fact that there are more kids than ever playing organised, structured football. This 'report' is bog paper IMO.

Where I do think there is some correlation though is with the professional clubs' academies. I think academies have become obsessed with getting hold of kids at too young an age and here there is definitely an element of quantity over quality. In youth football circles you hear about academies all the time, the scouts are everywhere and everyone seems to know a kid who's been to an academy.

Sadly most of these kids have been subsequently discarded whereupon they end up disillusioned, bigheaded or both, some can be really affected.
  • [cite]Posted By: C_f_W[/cite]

Sadly most of these kids have been subsequently discarded whereupon they end up disillusioned, bigheaded or both, some can be really affected.

That's a good point - just look at what happened to AFKA.
  • [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]LOL
    oh we werent laughing this morning when we all had to work looky.

you forget to put a bermudan dollar into the meter?!
  • edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LoOkOuT[/cite]LOL
    oh we werent laughing this morning when we all had to work looky.

you forget to put a bermudan dollar into the meter?!

I'd forgotten just how much I could get thru in a morning.

Shame there was nothing on Netaddicks worth reading.

NEWSFLASH REPORT SAYs CHARLTON LIFE IS BAD FOR BRITISH ECONOMY.

A new report has found that by the year 2010 95% of the population will spend at least 6 hours a day the Charlton Life forum. Prime Minister Gordon Brown said that flow of money to the tax haven of Bermuda, where the website's evil mastermind lives, is likely to lead to a crash in house prices and a massive increase in the price of gold
  • You know, I thought it odd that no one had mentioned it. I thought no one had noticed!

Found it down when I woke up. It's a 24hr job I tell you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Everyone apart from WSS are too scared of you and AFKA.

He said he didn't care if he was banned or not and that you were selfish and imcompetent not having your home phone number of the site so people could ring you as soon as there was a problem.

I told him to leave it but would he listen ; -)
  • edited September 2007
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Is the report you mean the Lewis report?

I've got a copy and it says that last year the Directorate of Education reported "[i]that 60% of all 11 year olds leaving primary school were "physically illiterate" meaning that they did not possess the basic ABC of physical movement - agility, balance, co-ordination. [/i]"
    [/quote]
    One of the tutors on my sports science degree course described people like this with a rather more elegant phrase: 'motor morons'

Also if the esteemed Mr Irving was able to send me a copy of the report I would be grateful.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Well I would say that the standard of football has dropped over the last ten years at Grass roots level having played in kent, Surrey & hampshire leagues. Standard was far better 10 years ago than it is now, players are too obsessed with looking good wearing coloured boots & doing tricks rather than doing simple things like retaining possession of the ball. .[/quote]

Is this Hillsy's team your having dig at??