Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sly dig at Lumpard from Gerrard?

WSSWSS
edited September 2007 in Other Football and Sports
Steven Gerrard believes his close friendship with Gareth Barry helped them combine successfully in the centre of England's midfield.

The two midfielders linked superbly against Israel on Saturday and could play together against Russia.

"I'm not sure whether everybody knows what good friends we are off the pitch," Gerrard told BBC Sport.

"The communication was there, we weren't strangers and that was the key to the partnership working."

And Gerrard, who has been passed fit to play on Wednesday after playing with a fractured toe against Israel, explained what he thought made a successful midfield partnership.

"Balance is about working hard for each other - when one midfielder attacks, one defends," he added.

Comments

• Options
    "when one midfielder attacks, one defends"

Which is exactly what Gerrard and Lumpard can't do together...
  • Options
    and why Gerrard should always be picked ahead of Lumpard
  • Options
    and why from now until forever - he'll be called Lumpard on this site
  • Options
    I've always thought Lumpolard was more accurate.
  • Options
    The fact that they cannot play together is so clear, it just makes you wonder why successive managers think they can. Gerrard looked liberated on Saturday and the player he is week in week out for Liverpool.
  • Options
    Lumpard is a Mug FACT - No reasoned argument from me.

I'd build the England team around Gerrard personally and if that means Barry in the middle of the park then I'm happy with that.

The whole problem is though that England managers mix the team around way too much according to whatever pressure they face. Yes there are injuries to deal with as well but when was the last time outside of a tournament that have we had the same team more than twice in a row (or even once)?
  • Options
    We looked more effective because Barry supported other players when they had the ball, providing a passing outlet, unlike Lampard who just bombs into the box.
  • Options
    sorry think you are being very harsh on FranK myself. The bloke is a World class footballer - his goalscoring record says as such - champs league ,premier league and England. Unfortunately for England gerrard and lamps just can't play in the same team doesn't meaned with he deserves the stick he gets from England fans.

Isaid that gerrard looked unleashed without Lampard in the team because it was fact.

Yeah Gerrard and Barry are friends wowee.

I personally think Gerrard is the better all round player than Lamps but Lampards deserves more repsect than he get
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]sorry think you are being very harsh on FranK myself. The bloke is a World class footballer - his goalscoring record says as such - champs league ,premier league and England. Unfortunately for England gerrard and lamps just can't play in the same team doesn't meaned with he deserves the stick he gets from England fans.

Spot on Ledge.
  • Options
    Lampard has the better eye for goal but Gerrard is the better all round player in my opinion.

Gerrard would be my choice of the two. It's s*** law though that we have two world class players in one position and none in other positions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Lampard has the better eye for goal but Gerrard is the better all round player in my opinion.

Gerrard would be my choice of the two. It's s*** law though that we have two world class players in one position and none in other positions.

I dunno Len - Terry is world class in my opinion and rooney isn't too shabby when he's fit but my problem with the England team is I don't think I've seen them consistently play well as a team for donkeys.

I just hope we win something in my life time just to shut the press up for once. it still probably won't be good enough though and I'd still rather charlton win the league any day of the week.
  • Options
    Breaking news on SSN- Hargreaves and Lampard both ruled out anyway.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I think Lampard is an excellent player, he just does not compliment Gerrard. I'd pick one or the other not both. My personal preference is Gerrard.
  • Options
    Gerrard pisses over the fat bastard. No contest!
  • Options
    Steven Gerrard is world class, Frank Lampard isn't
  • Options
    Gerrard is world class in a Liverpool shirt but i can't remember when he's taken the game by the scruff of the neck like he does for Liverpool for England... he's the new John Barnes! Lampard HAS done it in in England shirt just not for the last couple of years, he was fantastic up untill the last World Cup... since then he's been pretty poor.

Both are great players on their day but perhaps it says it all about the England side that two players are picked for England regardless of their performances in a white shirt for a while, yet both are considered 'starters', see also Rooney...
  • Options
    Lampard had 17 shots on Goal during the last World Cup for England 1 was on Target & No goals scored...world Class not for me.

Gerrard is a far superior player. England's problem will always be the fact we have about 11 decent players but some are in the same position so instead of actually dropping them we play them in the wrong place to accomodate them. This did not happen on Saturday, everyone played where they should & boy did it show.
  • Options
    granted but at least he's bloody trying - how many did gerrard have
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    2 world cup goals and that made him englands top scorer for the tournament! 1 against trinidad and the other against sweden,
  • Options
    The issue with Gerrard is that he has the ability to play in the team alongside Lampard, as Gerrard is prepared to put the work in going backwards and do the things Lampard can't do.

Gerrard unleashed, and left to roam the midfield without Lampard is the prefered option
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]The issue with Gerrard is that he has the ability to play in the team alongside Lampard, as Gerrard is prepared to put the work in going backwards and do the things Lampard can't do.

Gerrard unleashed, and left to roam the midfield without Lampard is the prefered option

defo, and when he is injured there is an excellent understudy in fat fwank, he is class, but not as class as gerrard, and certainly not class enough to have him in the same side as gerrard! its one or t'other
  • Options
    The thing about Gerrard at Liverpool was always that he was like the good player at school. You know the one, he was miles better than everyone else and used to take all of the free kicks, corners, throw ins, goal kicks etc and cover every blade of grass.

The problem with that is that when he has an off day then the team is fucked as you rely on him too much. In the past as he's not been the main man in the England team - just one of the main men - I think that took a bit of adjusting for him. I used to despair at the times he used to be taking the ball off the centre halves and be trying to play the 60 yard glory pass EVERY BLOODY TIME! (My mate always says that the problem with English football is that we try to score almost straight away every time we get the ball, even if the keeper has got the ball - which is true!)

Gerrard seems to have matured a bit as a player over the years and so doesn't go charging around so much all of the time now, which is a good thing at international level and for him personally as I think (hope!) that maybe he plays the game with a bit more maturity which in turn might prolong his career at the highest level.

Lampard was always a "cleverer" player in the past - less all action but always seeming to be in the right place at the right time - but it's there for all to see that the two of them just don't complement each other or produce a balanced midfield.

On current form Gerrard has to get the nod over "Supagoals" every time.