Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Women's world cup

Always want to give England a chance in whatever sport they're playing in, but I have to say that the standard of the sport is so poor that it really isn't worth watching. I've just watched the highlights and it was absolutely dreadful - I don't understand why anyone would ever want to watch it. It's just crap.

Admittedly, I wasn't expecting much after forcing myself to watch Argentina get shellacked by Germany yesterday - but the England game was just as bad. The commentary is ridiculous too - the bloke pretending to be enthusiastic like he's just seen ol' goofy Ron curl one into the top corner from 25 yards is embarrassing.

Comments

• Options
    The thing is they would have you believe it was a growing sport & I am 100% sure that all the people who slated Charlton for temporarily disbanding the womens team were all either at the game yesterday or indeed stayed up & watched the game & could name all the players playing for our national team without the slightest effort ;-)
  • Options
    And what was that bird doing kissing her boot? Get back indoors and do the dishes luv!
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]I am 100% sure that all the people who slated Charlton for temporarily disbanding the womens team were all either at the game yesterday or indeed stayed up & watched the game & could name all the players playing for our national team without the slightest effort ;-)

Quite right Kets.

The fact that there has been less discussion of the Womens WC than there was about us disbanding the women's team speaks volumes........
  • Options
    I had the misfortune to watch it yesterday (daytime tv is dreadful) the standard was shocking, I would of expected it to be similar to conference level, but with the exception of the two scorers, the rest of them would struggle to make a pub team. Both of the Japan goals happened because England defenders (in a wall on the edge of the area) did not want to get their head to the ball from free kicks. The female commentator tries gallantly to talk the dross up 'oooh that was a good shot' when it hits the corner flag, but it is a hopeless task really. As for the goalkeeping, it is what you expect to see happen at primary school level, a keeper dropping the ball in to their net time after time.

With the exception of 1905 who used to do that regularly as our keeper.
  • Options
    Have to agree - the standard is abysmal! I can't imagine what the viewing figures are going to be for this fiasco.

There are a few outfield players with some talent but I reckon that if the England women's team played the England schoolboy team the boys would be favourites to win every time.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: sporaddick[/cite]There are a few outfield players with some talent but I reckon that if the England women's team played the England schoolboy team the boys would be favourites to win every time.
    I'd like to watch that match!!!
  • Options
    i reckon even Charlton could beat the England Women's Team
  • Options
    I watched England Ladies at The Valley last season in the qualifier against Holland.
    In my opinion they were technically very good and the right winger, Karen Carney, put over some crosses that were better than anything Rommedahl and others usually managed.

My daughter plays so I've watched a fair amount of womens football over the last two or three years and in general they try to pass it around and play to feet and the movement is quite good.

Lower down the scale you see a bit of hoofing in the air aimlessly but then that happens in the mens game too even in the so called professional leagues.

I would agree that goalkeeping is the one area in the ladies game where there is considerable room for improvement.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sporaddick[/cite]Have to agree - the standard is abysmal! I can't imagine what the viewing figures are going to be for this fiasco.

There are a few outfield players with some talent but I reckon that if the England women's team played the England schoolboy team the boys would be favourites to win every time.

The boys probably would win because of their superior physical attributes not because they are necessarially better footballers.
  • Options
    The boys probably would win because of their superior physical attributes not because they are necessarially better footballers.

You may well be right - but that is football the world over. There are plenty of teams - national and otherwise - who have out-muscled more gifted teams and been very successful as a result.

I do agree with your other comment though - the keepers are absolutely dire! Some are so bad they might as well have 11 outfield players and no goalie!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    erm...I watched a couple of hours of some of you lot on the Valley pitch, and I can say the standard in the Women's FA Cup was by far superior!

did anyone ever write down the stats? how many shots? how many saves? how many wheezing men crawling up the pitch for how many corners???
  • Options
    "erm...I watched a couple of hours of some of you lot on the Valley pitch, and I can say the standard in the Women's FA Cup was by far superior!

did anyone ever write down the stats? how many shots? how many saves? how many wheezing men crawling up the pitch for how many corners???"

Shouldn't you have been making the sandwiches!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]In my opinion they were technically very good and the right winger, Karen Carney, put over some crosses that were better than anything Rommedahl and others usually managed.

That wouldn't be difficult though, would it Len!

Here's a question, did we ever score a goal from a cross from Denise? Surely we must've done, but I'm struggling to recall?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]In my opinion they were technically very good and the right winger, Karen Carney, put over some crosses that were better than anything Rommedahl and others usually managed.

That wouldn't be difficult though, would it Len!

Here's a question, did we ever score a goal from a cross from Denise? Surely we must've done, but I'm struggling to recall?

Watford last year, Ambrose's equaliser to make it 2-2.
  • Options
    Just watched England v Germany - still shite, but at least the two teams looked like they could pass the ball to each other.

Alex Scott is lush as well.