Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone work near Holborn / Lincolns Inn Fields

Start a new job near Holborn tube station on Monday.....any tips for decent places to eat / drink ?

Comments

• Options
    yes mate I work in High Holborn

Pubs - weatherspoon Penderals Oak is half decent in High Holborn (through the alley at NE CORNER)- The George in Gt Queen St , Hercules Pillars in Gt Queen St- plus Sway in Gt Queen St

Kingsway has - Fine Line - all bar one

High Holborn has a couple of those Japanese take away places

To be honest there loads in and around Holborn mate you can't go wrong to be honest that's why I am such a fat bastard LOL.

Good luck in your new job mate
  • Options
    High Holborn,,,,,,,,,,takes me back to my first job almost 25 years ago. Left school at 16 after my o levels and got ajob with Midland Bank (now HSBC). Bank was situated on the corner of HIgh Holborn and Kingsway, opposite the tube station -I went up there last year to find that it was now a sainsburys would you beleive !

Had my first pint in the Hurcules Pillars and was always our "local" when people left and we had a drink-up for them. - also liked a pub a few yards up towards new oxford st and one of the first to have a big screen showing music videos instead of a jukebox.

oh, such sweet memories.
  • Options
    There's The Ship in the little alleyway round the back of Holborn station which does a decent range of beers and some pretty good grub. It's a bit small but there is another room upstairs if you're eating.

There's a Polish bar just opposite, if you're into your vodka and they also do some pretty hefty Polish lagers.

Best pub in the area though is The Lamb. It's at the end of Lambs Conduit Street past the police station and is well worth seeking out if you've got the time. The Rugby Tavern is near there too and is pretty good (it's a Neame pub).

I would avoid The Old Nick in Sandland Street though. It used to be a cracking pub but there's a different manager in there now and the service is truly shocking.
  • Options
    Leather lane is also great if you wanna grab somethin to eat at your desk, sadly the holborn colony closed on friday, will open up again in a month. Red lion street has a lovely turkish place, great service not too expensive, you really are spoilt for choice! Apart from that ledge was pretty spot on!
  • Options
    Have to disagree with you and Ledge Stu. The Penderel's Oak is a souless place and the service in there can be pretty bad. Only ever go in there if absolutely necessary, e.g. for a late drink as they have a late licence.
  • Options
    I used to work in Lincoln's Inn Fields. used to love going to the bierodrome every friday for flavoured beer and lovely food.

there used to be a great firkin on great queen street on the way to covent garden, but think its turned into a restaurant now. used to do a quiz on a tuesday night.

that vodka bar is great. oh and "lincolns" the sandwich shop is well cheap, next door to mish mash a really cool card and gift shop.

leather lane is a good trip towards the end of the week as they have more stock then, and there is a great fish and chip shop there.
  • Options
    ...ta for all the tips.....I went to Pret next door in the end !!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]...ta for all the tips.....I went to Pret next door in the end !!!

Bottle job!!!

The Pret right by the station? If so the Ship and the Polish bar are about a 20 second walk away from there, in the alley to the left of the door to Prets as you look at it.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    yep, just being lazy...
  • Options
    Get yourself down The Griffin at lunch for a cheap pint! Always a giggle!