Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

we've lost fans, or have we ?

I noticed a league table of attendances in one of this mornings papers which showed us as averaging around 22,500 for the two home games so far and immediately thought we'd lost quite a few year on year but looking back at last season in the premiership the first two games were man utd (25,422) and bolton (23,673) giving an average of around 24,500...so we're down an average 2,000 fans per game so far, which isn't bad for the drop from the premiership to the championship and even better when you consider we are comparing the draw of man utd with scunthorpe...

Comments

• Options
    2,000 isn't bad when you consider Man Utd and Bolton brought a lot more than Scunthorpe & Wednesday.
  • Options
    Tuesday and Saturday will give us a better idea of the likely crowds this season with one midweek and one 3.00 pm Saturday game both against decently supported teams and with summer holidays over.
  • Options
    We'll both lose and gain - obviously we've lost the "Premiership" fans, but that'll be at least a little bit offset (especially if we do well) by people who'll see we aren't sold out any more, only cost £20, and decide to come along and take a look.
  • Options
    last season in the premiership the first two games were man utd (25,422) and bolton (23,673) giving an average of around 24,500..

How many were home fans and how many were away fans? I doubt we've lost that many fans, season ticket sales are more-or-less equal with last year (whether they would be if the free season ticket for next year offer was implemented or not, who knows).

The Man U match was also live on TV.

I think you need a longer comparison to draw any conclusions out, I'm sure we will have lost some floating support, but that's all.
  • Options
    Also the team is doing well (top 5) and scoring goals so people will want to see that. Now if they could just stop letting them in.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Also the team is doing well (top 5) and scoring goals so people will want to see that. Now if they could just stop letting them in.

the thing about letting them in is that as long as we are banging them in at the other end the scorelines look pretty exciting and are going to grab peoples attention...besides, like a lot of fans that were around in the killer, flash, paddy era i have selective memory and the swashbuckling 4-3's against brighton etc are the stuff of legend...bring 'em on...