Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

my first 3-3 was norwich at home 67-68

if i recall rightly...one of the many comeback games we've seen over the years...played over the xmas holiday period...the first ever game i went to all on my lonesome because my mates were either away for the xmas holiday or couldn't go...and partly watched sitting on the wall at the back of the east terrace...now that's the way to watch a football match...

Comments

• Options
    Hi ltgr, under the OS greatest games thread (7th Sept) I posted a little memory of mine about that Norwich match:

CommentAuthorOggy Red CommentTimeSep 7th 2007 edit permalinkquoteblock userblock comment
    Boxing Day 3-3 v Norwich City for me. Mike Kenning was superb, scored twice as Charlton fought back from 0-3 down at halftime. Gordon Bolland got the equaliser in the 86th minute.

It was 1967 ..... does it still count?

If that was your first match, it was a cracking 2nd half fightback. The 1st half was vintage Charlton at their disjointed worst so Manager Eddie Firmani must have given them a halftime dressing room boll*cking of the first order.

And Gordon Bolland, having scored that late equaliser, missed a sitter with the last kick of the game that would have made it 4-3 and won us both points.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    it wasn't my first match (that was sometime in the early 60's but i couldn't tell you when or who we played - my father used to take me to matches but i wasn't all that bothered, i was more interested in getting back for the lone ranger at 5pm...around 66/67 i went to some games with my mates...67/68 was when i got hooked, pompey that season (4-1 ?) was my first night game...the norwich game was my first 3-3 comeback game...
  • Options
    Sorry ltgr, re-reading your thread I can see I didn't read it carefully enough.

Still back to footy - that Pompey game early October was a cracker too.
    You'll remember Pompey were top of the league, unbeaten all season and after some impressive play predictably went ahead. We equalised a bit before halftime and in the second half we were transformed and gave them a bit of a battering before running out worthy 4-1 winners.

We made a bit of a habit of doing that, that season. Just before Xmas we were losing 1-0 home to promotion chasing Birmingham City, maybe it was their fiery winger Barry Bridges (exChelsea & later Millwall) giving them the lead.
    I can't remember who equalised again just before halftime (Harry Gregory?) but I'm sure Matt Tees scored a 2nd half brace as Charlton won 3-1.

Centre forward Matt Tees was so skinny but for a slight man, lethal in the air.

I remember as a kid asking my Dad why Tees was called Matt. Because he's always on the floor, son - was his instant retort.
  • Options
    & then there was the last home game of that season...a 5-1 win against hull which turned out to be a taste of what was to come the next season...
  • Options
    Yep,

Ray Treacy hatrick......