Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

21st September 1985. Farewell to The Valley. **25 Year Anniversary**

edited September 2007 in General Charlton
Saturday 21st September 1985. Charlton Athletic 2 (0) (Stuart 78, Lee 83) Stoke City 0 (0). The Valley. Att 8,858.

Charlton: Johns, Humphrey, Reid, Loveridge, Thompson, Berry, Stuart, Shipley, Pearson, Aizlewood (Lee 23), Flanagan.

Stoke: Fox, Bould, Mills (Beeston 46), Parkin, Dyson, Berry, Adams, Maskery, Bertschin, Saunders, Heath.

Referee: M James (Horsham).

BUT WHO WERE THE IDIOTS? At the time, this was billed as Charlton's final match at The Valley following the ground sharing agreement with Crystal Palace. The fans who staged a half-time sit-in on the centre cirlce were labelled as idiots by Charlton Chairman John Fryer. If Charlton had not returned to The Valley, they would have died as a club, so you can make your own mind up as to who were the idiots in this case. Directors, of course, have to have to make the final decision, but this was a prime example when the customers - the fans - should have at least been consulted.

Comments

• Options
    yeah a sad day, still remember (and am happy to admit this) I had a tear in my eye on the pitch at the end of this match. I doubted we would ever get back and really thought that it was the end.

Once again a bit thank you to all those who helped get us home.
  • Options
    Some one should have arranged a street party!

Anyone there that day say Aye

Aye.
  • Options
    Aye (obviously from the comments above)
  • Options
    Aye, I was an "idiot" in the centre circle at half time
  • Options
    me 2
  • Options
    Remember taking a bit of turf home at the end of the game which i replanted in my mum's back garden. Sad Sad Day.
  • Options
    I was trying to dig up the Covered End penalty spot when I was surrounded by five policemen who accused me of thrown bits of turf at them. As I was pleading my innocence, one of them said 'shall we knick him? to which the reply was 'no, I can't be bothered. It'll mean too much paperwork and besides, I want to get off down to the pub when my shift finishes'
  • Options
    I was at the Palace game when they announced we were leaving but missed this for some reason that I can't remember. Strange because I was doing quite a few aways around this time too.

Some good old piccy's on the BBC website here too.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/image_galleries/valley_old_gallery.shtml?1
  • Options
    I thought you were saying you were at Palace for this game!!

wouldnt surprise me though.
  • Options
    i was there with threadkiller...got some turf back to my mums which we tended to for a good few years.....
    we've come a long long way
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aye.... A sad day indeed.

Was standing close to the barrier shown in that pic on that day.

And a piece of the turf is still in our old gaff in Foots Cray.
  • Options
    was also in the 'chicken run' bit for that game, as it was easier to get on the pitch from there than the covered end.
  • Options
    Was bloody packed I recall with the East Stand closed by then, so only covered end and the "posh" seats in the West still open.

Jimmy Seed stand has survived well !
  • Options
    East stand ?? sorry Terrace of course
  • Options
    Aye

Threw my old scarf at the directors in the box in disgust.

As you've said Oohaah, we've come a long way. I have to remind myself of that sometimes (like going 2-0 down at Colchester)
  • Options
    do you remember "Fryer, Fryer, where's the clock. Fryer, where's the clock"?
  • Options
    Dave Mehmet what do you mean you were an idiot that day,your a friggin idiot now.
  • Options
    "Dave Mehmet what do you mean you were an idiot that day,your a friggin idiot now."

I must be if I'm going to spend all day in a car with you on the way to Hull!
  • Options
    stayin clear of leicester forest services and andy roberts
  • Options
    i nicked things from inside the old stand ,im sorry
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aye. also returned home with turf in hand.
  • Options
    Watching from the old covered end it was the few who tried to break the goal who got booed, the rest of the people who staged the 'sit in' at half time got warmly received.
  • Options
    the people who tried to break the goalposts[i no a couple] were heroes in my book,if the game had been stopped it would have the effect
  • Options
    Aye .......standing on the pitch afterwards with everybody milling around seemed unreal.

When people started hacking the turf from the pitch it really seemed the end, everything seemed to be being broken up around us including the club.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Aye......... i was l 12 and some bastard nicked my turf on the way up floyd road !!!!
    Seem to remember someone climbing the floodlights..... was it a lifer?
  • Options
    GHE. I'll never forget the look on your face when I took it !!

Still in for City Addicks tomorrow ?
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: DaveStorry[/cite]GHE. I'll never forget the look on your face when I took it !!

Still in for City Addicks tomorrow ?[/quote]

BASTARD !!!!new i recognised you from somewere !!!!
    Yes, mate.. you going?
  • Options
    aye, see you in there
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]the people who tried to break the goalposts[i no a couple] were heroes in my book,if the game had been stopped it would have the effect[/quote]

We'll have to agree to disagree then. The point had been made by the sit in. Attempted vandalism doesn't make them heroes in my book.
  • Options
    it does in mine and did then too. different times mate.