Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Protest building for Congestion charge coming to greenwich.

edited September 2007 in Not Sports Related
It Has been rumoured for a while now that Greenwich council and TFL have been working closely together to introduce a congestion charge.

A protest will take place this coming saturday in Greenwich town centre, which is also a car free day.

A meeting will also be held at mycenae house at 11am for local residents to express views and opinions

I Have noticed cctv cameras appearing recently on the a2(falconwood)the a20(sidcup)and deptford hill, bet more will follow.

Good or bad? For me it's not a problem i live in Greenwich but i don't own a car.

Comments

• Options
    They did say that it was not coming o Greenwich a while back which means it proberley will
  • Options
    I live in Greenwich and I own a car and if the elected council believe that a congestion charge will help to manage traffic coming through the centre then I am, broadly speaking, fine with that.

If any specific proposals come forward then I might have a view on them but the only details so far are wild rumours.
  • Options
    Badger,

I'm told by my wife (who works for TfL on "Enforcement" projects) that those little white cameras are most likely going to be for the "Low Emission Zone" to keep an eye on vans/trucks/buses/coaches.

Basically, if the vehicle is over a certain age, it has to "tweaked" to meet the LEZ emission levels. This "tweak" will have been recorded by the DVLA. Any vehicles NOT on the DVLA database that haven't paid the appropriate daily/monthly fee will be fined.
  • Options
    Loads has been written about this and still not sure what the 'truth' is - but i don't trust the council at all, so am inclined to believe the opposite of what they say...

Greenwich is a bloomin nightmare now for congestion - I try to never drive a car anywhere near Trafalgar Road at any time of day - but I am sure it has got worse since the new traffic lights were put in at the bottom of Maze Hill and the bus stops built out and I still fail to see what purpose they serve (other than holding up traffic).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]
    I Have noticed cctv cameras appearing recently on the a2(falconwood)the a20(sidcup)and deptford hill, bet more will follow.

a set of cameras have gone up just by the sun in sands junction.
    i thought they were to catch road tax vehicle license dodgers.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    In a free society surely every individual has the right to know firstly why surveillance cameras of any description are there and then secondly to protest if considered appropiate.

Britain under New Labour gets more Orwellian by the day.
  • Options
    Who's holding this meeting, badger?

Anyone who drives through Greenwich needs their head seeing to, but a congestion charge isn't the way to tackle that particular problem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]Loads has been written about this and still not sure what the 'truth' is - but i don't trust the council at all, so am inclined to believe the opposite of what they say...
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Britain under New Labour gets more Orwellian by the day.

Isn't this the problem with Politicians these days....?

I just don't trust what they say. Say one thing, bury it. Do another..... The EU Constitution, or whatever they are trying to dress it up as, is another example of this. Where's our referendum we were promised?

Perhaps, being 34, I haven't experienced a lifetime of politics....The older generation could put me right.
  • Options
    Greenwich council are bullshitters who usually get their own way because the opposing parties are pretty feeble, and there's no local media to chase them up - anyone who thinks the News Shopper or the Mercury are holding the council to account has been smoking some of MCS's finest.

As for the other stuff - the same on a larger scale to an extent, I suppose. But I'm a year younger than you so I know even less ;-)
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]In a free society surely every individual has the right to know firstly why surveillance cameras of any description are there and then secondly to protest if considered appropiate.

Britain under New Labour gets more Orwellian by the day.[/quote]

I would assume a freedom of information request to greenwich would provide an answer to why. I haven't used it to get info out of Greenwich but have found other councils pretty good and providing answers quickly in the past.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't trust the council either and have had a lot of dealings with them locally.

I believe the cameras on the A2 are to replace the traditional speed cameras which are repeatedly being blown up, I bet they'll be average cameras - nightmare. I could be wrong on this though.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]In a free society surely every individual has the right to know firstly why surveillance cameras of any description are there and then secondly to protest if considered appropiate.

Britain under New Labour gets more Orwellian by the day.

Quite agree Len, but it would be no different under Tory or Liberal governments.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but I thought you just said a Liberal government. What's one of those?

Perhaps old man Irving could tell us - he probably voted for Lloyd George.
  • Options
    Typical bloody fans director - blanking his public.
  • Options
    These cameras that are appearing are for Road toll Pricing which is coming into affect in 2010, but a camera could also be used for many other money raising schemes.
  • Options
    Badger, who is organising this meeting you refer to?
  • Options
    The meeting might be being organised by ukip.
  • Options
    Oh dear.