Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stand up if you love the Championship

edited September 2007 in General Charlton
And it's got nothing to do with us being near the top at the moment tho that is nice :)
It is just a better experience all round, win or lose, and it feels like fun again.
I look at Chelsea and Jose and Roman and the multi million pound soap that the top clubs have become, and it seems like a million miles away from what football is and should be about.
Yeah I'm out of date with modern football trends, I'm sure I am, but I can't wait to get back down the Valley on Sat, it's feels a lot simpler and it feels great.
Is it just me?
Contented of Maidstone. :)

Comments

• Options
    Agree 3blokes with everything you've said,it's not just you and i know where you're coming from and how you feel, have a great day saturday and enjoy.

Win or lose on the booze we'll all be back again.
  • Options
    Absolutely lovin it! So are my two boys. They are 100% more enthusiastic than the last two seasons.
    Someone on here the other day said something like that maybe we'd all embraced the new division and all that came with it too quickly. Well I am dreading promotion already. I want nothing to do with Premiership Football.
    I really do think we have the makings of an excellent team though.I want to be top till April, then slip down to third, then beat Palace in the Play-off semi, then lose a classic final on Pens, then do it all again 2008/9!!!
  • Options
    I was planning on writing something similar to this on my blog. Is it possible to win the league but not get promotion?
  • Options
    Win the league but not get promoted due to points being deducted for fieding an illegible player might work.
  • Options
    I think financially, getting stuck in the Championship would be a problem, but I'm enjoying the football more this season. Personally I wouldn't mind being a yo-yo club that much - a season of getting patronised in the Premiership, seeing the big names, occasionally getting a jammy result, followed by a season of exciting football and lots of wins would suit me fine.
  • Options
    I know where you are coming from, as the winning feeling is certainly addictive. And there's real competition. But the desire to see CAFC conquer at the highest level is too strong, so I want to see us mixing it up with big boys in the top leagues and competitions. I like to think that the Premier League, UEFA Cup and Champions League are the poorer for not having us, Club and Fans, included ;-)
  • Options
    Loving it
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Exactly the way i feel.
    As a fan this is THE BEST league in the world !! familiar away days where we cut our teeth as youths.New exiting grounds in reachable day trip destinations and for a majority of the games, the chance to once again stand (sit) side by side with your mates wich as we all know adds to the atmosphere.
    As a club we need to be in the premier but as a fan , i know where i want to be..........
  • Options
    Whilst I am enjoying it thus far, cannot say I would be if we were in Sheffield Wednesday's position. It's all about how we are doing, we are doing well at present good away days Colchester, Palace etc. We are knocking the ball about & look like scoring, be interested to re-read this thread if we lose 6 or 7 on the trot though.
  • Options
    Fair point Ketman, but while the team is doing well, the bit I am enjoying is that it is just a football experience without all that celeb culture media circus that the prem attracts and cultivates.
    Different people want different things, and it is probably an out dated old fashioned stance I know, and all of us would want Charlton to perform at the highest level, it's just a shame that it means the prem and the crap that goes with it IMO.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's certainly a breath of fresh air and fun at the moment.

But as Ketters says, if we were out of our depth, embroiled in a relegation fight and just been battered by relegation rivals away from home on the proverbial wet & windy Wednesday night up north - who now leapfrog Charlton to leave us rock bottom with 3 games to go..........

Many of us have been there before!
  • Options
    Just to address the idea of winning the league but not going up so that we could do it again: after a couple of years we would not be winning the league as the parachute payments would finish, and we'd be below the teams who've recently dropped.

Unless you want to get rid of promotion and relegation altogether: a stance which I thought the Football League should have taken back in 1992. If they had said to the breakaway clubs that they were on their own I think the Football League would now be all the stronger for it. I also couldn't see at the time how, if this had been done, the Premier League could have laid claim to European places. They were allocated to Football League clubs. If the Football League had denied any promotion / relegation and therefore any connection to the new league, couldn't they have keep the UEFA placings? If so, by now The Football League would be held in higher esteem than The Premier League and most of the so called top clubs would be crawling back anyway promising not to be so greedy again.
  • Options
    Interesting point of view, Jimmy.

The Prem could have just been called something like 'The Sky TV League' - which is exactly what it has been over the years. And to have no European places allocated would have completely disempowered it's standing or worth, if there was no way into Europe except, perhaps via the FA Cup (they would be barred from the League Cup, remember) - and then only the winner's place up for grabs.

But aren't the European places granted to the FA of each country rather than to the Premier League?
  • Options
    Sorry to disagree chaps and chappesses but I wont be satisfied until we have won the prem, both FA and League cup (whatever it's called), the Euro championship and of course the world club cup. All this fizzy pop league is just preparation.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Interesting point of view, Jimmy.

But aren't the European places granted to the FA of each country rather than to the Premier League?

No because they were previously granted to The Football League who ran the league. The FA organised the national team and the FA Cup
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

(they would be barred from the League Cup, remember)

This is the very least that should have happened. How Premier League teams play in 'The League Cup' has always been beyond me. They don't like it anyway so they should just pack it in.
  • Options
    I remember suggesting something similar at the time ie that the league should break with the FA and join forces with the Scottish FA to form a British FA and League which would have been welcomed with open arms by UEFA.

Would have cut the feet from under the Premier League and maybe retained some sort of level playing field.

However promotion to the Premier League is vital. It may sound nice to hang around this league for a while but ask the Leicester fans what they think.
  • Options
    I still prefer it to Prem.
  • Options
    That's a bit of luck chirpy, what you think of League 1 :-)
  • Options
    I love the championship!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]That's a bit of luck chirpy, what you think of League 1 :-)

Ask me next season!
  • Options
    what a w**k league it is.... at least before when we lost in the prem the football was of a much higher quality by us and the opposition..... park football being played by us on occassions now... since curbs left this football team has gone downhill so fast ...FACT
  • Options
    Fcuk next season,the way we are goin it will be league 1.
    Totally agree oohaah.
  • Options
    It's not very good really,is it?
  • Options
    I still love the Championship, despite our current gloom.

Its a league which combines footballing ability with organisation and a strong work ethic, where anyone on their day can realistically beat anyone. Its well supported without being saddled with plastics, the overall standard of the stadiums is high, and ticket prices are generally at realistic levels in comparison to leagues above and below.

I'm more than comfortable with Charlton being a championship club, i'm just not comfortable with seeing us turned over all the bloody time !
  • Options
    can't agree with what Ooh Aah says. Bristol City played some good stuff last night - they should be in the Premiership this season remember.

We were poor at times but also played some great football in the first 20 mins. If either Varney or Gray had scored when they should have, it would have all been very different
  • Options
    I am firmly sat down
  • Options
    yeah bristol played some reasonable stuff against a poor charlton side but i'd rather see us lose to arsenal and watch the best football in the world than second tier stuff we've got at the moment...
    i'd rather we played in the top tier in front of sell outs every week plastics included at least plastics don't boooo even tho they may not sing either
    i want charlton to be the best team in the world, come on dubai take us away from this dross to the promised land and 40k in our ground
    i'd rather see us lose at old trafford than anywhere else in the world it's an amazing place but if barnsleys your cup of tea so be it
    as i've said before give me the 4-2 win at highbury over a 4-2 win against reading or whoever
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]yeah bristol played some reasonable stuff against a poor charlton side but i'd rather see us lose to arsenal and watch the best football in the world than second tier stuff we've got at the moment...

Well you can't. Tough.

This is where we are. Continually going on about the past, and i really do mean continually in your case, gets us absolutely nowhere.
  • Options
    i want to be playing in the premiership in the FUTURE not in the championship or league one ......
    what will/might get us any where is dubai investment not my drivvle about how good/bad/indifferent our team/support is or any other guff i may talk about