Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pards on reidy, unhappy players, work rate.....(cafc.co.uk)

WSSWSS
edited September 2007 in General Charlton
"It was a great performance but the most important thing now is the Leicester game and getting another result.

"I could have taken a loss against Norwich on Tuesday night and still been very happy with the performance. So if I get that same level of performance on Saturday I'll take that now regardless of the result.

"Both teams have only lost one so it's a tight call but we're at home so we will be slight favourites, but no more than that.

"It will be a tough game for us but if we've got 14 points from seven games on Saturday night we will be well on track.”

Eyeing a fourth straight home win, Pardew added: "The fans have been a big highlight for me because when a team gets relegated it's easy for the fans to make your life difficult.

"And right up until five minutes to go, at 0-0 against Norwich, I didn't hear one single whinge. Everyone was pulling together and the fans were spurring us on to get the goal and eventually we did.

"So I thank them for that, they are very important to us.”

The manager was hopeful that the Valley fans wouldn't have to wait until the 85th minute to see their team score on Saturday.

"I've played against Gary Megson as a manager a few times and his teams are very diligent, well organised and they will make it difficult for us to take the lead.

"And if you're playing a team like that it's very important to get the first goal so that will be a key feature of the game depending on who gets that first goal and hopefully it will be us.”

Someone eager to get that first goal - and his first for the club - will be Leicester-born Luke Varney, who made his full debut against the Canaries.

And with all four senior strikers now available for selection, including Svetoslav Todorov who missed out on the midweek match with a knock, Pardew has a decision to make regarding the two that get the nod against the Foxes.

Of former Crewe Alexandra striker Varney, Pardew said: "He sniffs around making players uncomfortable and he's competitive in the air. I think he's going to be a great signing for Charlton and he showed glimpses of it on Tuesday night.

"And I'm sure as he goes along and gets bedded into the team we'll get more and more out of him.”

He added: "There are some unhappy players here who are not even going to be on the bench on Saturday - very good players who would probably play in most Championship sides.

"We've got good competition in the squad and that's what I hope will drive the first team on to even better performances.”

Captain Andy Reid, who slotted home both the late penalties against Norwich, earned special praise from the manager after the midweek game.

Handing the creative midfielder the armband at the start of the season may have raised a few eyebrows, but Pardew explained that the decision has helped bring the best out of the Irish playmaker.

"When I came here he was very frustrated because of the injuries he had and because things hadn't really gone his way.

"People wondered why I had given it [captain's armband] to him and I think as a manager you're looking for someone who is going to respond to that armband and he has responded in the perfect way.

"He has led the team and when the team has been down he has tried to lift it - and not just with his vocals, but with his desire and enthusiasm to try and win the game, or just by getting on the ball and making things happen.

"Any football fan appreciates a player who gets on the ball - I certainly do. I've seen some of the supposedly toughest boys in the game make tackle after tackle but are then frightened to get on the ball. Reidy's the opposite to that and I prefer that type of player.

The gaffer added: "He has put in a lot of hard work and I'm fortunate to have him as my captain.

"I think he's a fantastic player and this year he is going to show everybody just what a good player he is.

"If he continues to play like he has the last few games then it's going to bode well for our season.”

Meanwhile, two former Addicks are set to return to The Valley with Leicester at the weekend.

And Pardew was looking forward to welcoming both Radostin Kishishev and Shaun Newton back to SE7.

"I didn't know Kishishev particularly well but he was a great guy when I was here. I enjoyed his company and he was obviously a great servant to Charlton.

"Shaun I do know well and the memories of him will live long here because he played in the team that got promoted to the Premiership. He's a great player and a great person.

"I'll look forward to seeing them both.”