Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

i see newton plays for leicester - i still think about that goal

he got against tranmere in that night game we won 4-0...the team was so on song that night it was like watching total football...second half newton broke down the right heading towards us inthe covered end and the keeper started to come out to meet him and it seeed like every one of us in the covered end screamed 'chip it' at the same time...and he did...and he scored...we didn't know whether to laugh or shout 'goal'...

Comments

• Options
    Remember that. He was such a good prospect in them days.

He did ok in the end, of course, but I can't help thinking that it went wrong a bit somewhwere. I think Keefy Peacock got the measure of him in his book - though can't remember what it was he said now as have had a few.
  • Options
    We should boo him for not being quite good enough for the premiership and doing drugs.

Well, if people are going to boo Kish then why not : - (
  • Options
    the goal newts got in the second leg of the play offs v ipswich at the valley in 1998..he smashed it home from edge of the box at what was (imho)the best atmosphere at the valley i've known, for once the whole ground was behind the team showing passion that i've never seen matched since... i mean it was loud and electric from the first minute to the last and i was in the east stand ffs
  • Options
    to paraphrase the saying about the sixties, if you can remember who scored the goal that night you weren't there...i was in the east stand as well, got there about two minutes after the kick off and walking through the gangway to the seats it was like walking into a cauldron...you could cut the atmosphere with a knife...i've never known an atmosphere like it, before or since...i've only got two memories of that night, the atmosphere and we won 1-0...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ltgtr[/cite]to paraphrase the saying about the sixties, if you can remember who scored the goal that night you weren't there
    good point i thought he scored it but wasn't sure so i've just put his name in the computer and tried to find if he did but there was too much on there, think he scored it tho
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Remember that. He was such a good prospect in them days.

He did ok in the end, of course, but I can't help thinking that it went wrong a bit somewhwere. I think Keefy Peacock got the measure of him in his book - though can't remember what it was he said now as have had a few.

Keefy says in his book that Newts should have been a full back because, although he was quick, he didn't really have a trick.

He apparently kept Jimmy Carter quiet when playing full back for the stiffs when Keefy was reserve team manager.

Regarding the Ipswich play off game in '98 I had the best seat in the house for THAT GOAL as I was in the Jimmy Seed right at the end of the row next to the Ipswich fans!

The atmosphere that night certainly was one of the best I've experienced at The Valley.
  • Options
    I also remember he scored two crackers in the 3-0 win over Bryan Robson's Middlesborough in January 98, the week after we thumped Forest in the FA Cup.
  • Options
    Was it the Tranmere game or Huddersfield where he scored a header from the corner of the penalty box?
  • Options
    Didn't he score a belter at home to Liverpool in the FA Cup?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]Was it the Tranmere game or Huddersfield where he scored a header from the corner of the penalty box?

Deffo huddersfield, thought it was out a little further than pen box but it looped over the keeper a treat!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was defo Newton, and I know because I wasn't there. I was in Thailand on my hols - won't be planning any hols around play-off time this season I can tell you!
  • Options
    The whole play-off final is a bit of a blur but Newts penalty will be etched on my mind forever. The jog-walk-jog he did from the centre circle, and the not-really-a -run-up for the kick just screamed "he's gonna miss this", and I think I was more relieved than elated when it went in.
  • Options
    I remember that goal at Coventry away in the cup when he bicycle kicked it back in for someone (Hunt?) to nod home.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: aliwibble[/cite]The whole play-off final is a bit of a blur but Newts penalty will be etched on my mind forever. The jog-walk-jog he did from the centre circle, and the not-really-a -run-up for the kick just screamed "he's gonna miss this", and I think I was more relieved than elated when it went in.

Ali, i have never before, and never since, been so convinced that a player would miss a penalty as i was of Newton that day.
  • Options
    Could easily have been no Premiership if Newts had missed.
    But he didn't.

And even though it seems rarely appreciated now, 8 seasons (7 consecutive) in the Prem may never have happened.
    Big thanks to Newts.

He wrote his name in the history of Charlton's achievements.