Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Britain's richest club .......................... (and Charlton support base)

Comments

• Options
    heard a gooner on the radio purring about the football they're playing, and saying that's hy he pays £1200 for his season ticket.

Charlton could win 10-0 every week, you would see me near the ground for that money.

The working class game eh ????
  • Options
    Planning on paying £0.00 next season in the Premiership.

"if you all getting a freebie
    all getting a freebie
    all getting a freebie
    clap your hands"
  • Options
    do you know, i've completely forgot about that freebie offer.

still say it was too generous.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]do you know, i've completely forgot about that freebie offer.

You will be at liberty to donate £495 to the club should you so wish. Cheques payable to the "Supporters' Directors Leaving fund"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]do you know, i've completely forgot about that freebie offer.

Maybe but I think it is proving a wise decision, look at our crowds - we can't even get 20,000 Charlton fans for nice Saturday 3pm fixture against one of the league favourites to go up, and with us on a really good run.

Without the offer we might have sold, say, 4,000 less STs and have attendances down by another couple of thousand.

Fuller the ground, more likely we bounce straight back.
  • Options
    An the extra ST people we wouldn't otherwise have had buy programmes, beer & visit the club shop - and stay with the habit of watching Charlton.

Great business move by the club.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]

Maybe but I think it is proving a wise decision, look at our crowds - we can't even get 20,000 Charlton fans for nice Saturday 3pm fixture against one of the league favourites to go up, and with us on a really good run.

Without the offer we might have sold, say, 4,000 less STs and have attendances down by another couple of thousand.

Fuller the ground, more likely we bounce straight back.

But we did get 20k home fans for the Leicester game. And why is 20k poor? The predictions of some oppo and even some Charlton fans were of total meltdown of the crowds to 10k to 12k. the team is winning and if that continues the crowds will grow.

22k in this division is still pretty good IMHO although we all want to get it higher. It is certainly more than last time we were in this league (19,541 in 99/00)
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    First the pedantry ...
    Att: 21,918 ..... Leicester fans: 1900 give or take 100, take off absent ST holders and there were less than 20,000 Charlton fans ;-)

But yes, therewere about 20,000 Charlton fans which isn't poor on the face of it, but 3000 match ticket sales is a little disappointing for a very attractive fixture. I think it shows that despite good effort by the club, we haven't been able to increase the fan base much in the last couple of years, probably needed to longer to turn some of the Premiership fans, but the free ST offer has surely turned some to proper fans now.

And as I said, I think it proves the wisdom of the board in making the very generous, but simple and eyecatching, offer.

If I were a director I would be thinking about making more simple and eyecatching offers this season. For example, buy tickets for two October matches and get the third one free.

And market to residents of Greenwich, Lewisham and Southwark - if you can get fans from these areas, then ease of getting to the Valley should boost the chances of them becoming regulars.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]
    If I were a director I would be thingking about making more simple and eyecatching offers this season. For example,buy tickets for two October matches and get the third one free.

And market to residents of Greenwich, Lewisham and Southwark - if you can get fans from these areas then ease of getting to the Valley should boost the chances of them becoming regulars.

no doubt linked to costs, but local advertising of fixtures, tickets etc is much more lower key than in previous years. I'm sure this is having an impact as well.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]An the extra ST people we wouldn't otherwise have had buy programmes, beer & visit the club shop - and stay with the habit of watching Charlton. Great business move by the club.
    Agree with all that ....... except the club shop aspect...... most ST holders would probably have come to some games anyway, even if only a couple, and I think people who don't come often are possibly more likely to visit the club shop - anyway I doubt being a ST holder increases their club shop spend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i thought there were less than 1900 but I'm guessing. I will ask when I go to the Valley.

There are some plans for offers on STs which should be announced soon and we are targeting schools and youth groups in Greenwich, Bromley and Bexley this season. Lewisham and southwark are a bit different as seen as Millwall areas. The local papers have adds that do go into these areas.

I like the 3 for 2 offer and I'll mention it. The thing that comes to mind is that makes the ticket price £13.33 per game and some people will multiply that by 23 home games and come up with £306 which is less than the season ticket price

OR

22 x £20 (minus 1 freebie) is £440 which is again less than many East and West stand ST prices. The hard thing is to give good value for matchday prices without undermining the value of getting a ST which is what we want as it guarentees income over a longer period.
  • Options
    Also, there are two home games in October half term, some ST holders will be away that week, so how about reminding ST holders that their friends and family can use the tickets for free?

Doesn't raise any cash up front, but fills empty seats and might encourage a few people to come back again and buy tickets.

I suppose there is a risk of them giving the tickets to people who might ottherwise have bought one - so don't issue the reminder until the week before!
  • Options
    Henry - why dont we target Lewisham and Southwark? just because they are traditional Millwall areas doent mean there isnt a market for us there?
    In fact with the changes in demographics in these areas, coupled with Millwalls declining fortunes, I think it is a prime area to target.
    there are allot of people in Southwark and Lewisham now who have moved into the areas who have allot of disposable income!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite] Lewisham and southwark are a bit different as seen as Millwall areas. The local papers have adds that do go into these areas.

Doesn't seem to stop Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal organising or backing soccer schools in Bexley, and other local areas.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]Henry - why dont we target Lewisham and Southwark? just because they are traditional Millwall areas doent mean there isnt a market for us there?
    In fact with the changes in demographics in these areas, coupled with Millwalls declining fortunes, I think it is a prime area to target.
    there are allot of people in Southwark and Lewisham now who have moved into the areas who have allot of disposable income!

As I said there are adverts that run there but what with having had rows with Mr Scully at Gillingham and Mr Jordan at Palace this might not be the time to start a fight with another local club.
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Lewisham and southwark are a bit different as seen as Millwall areas. The local papers have adds that do go into these areas.

Doesn't seem to stop Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal organising or backing soccer schools in Bexley, and other local areas.

Slightly different. They are, I believe, privately owned small businesses who in effect have a franchise license to use the Arsenal or Man U name. In reality they don't have much, if anything, to do with those clubs.
  • Options
    Oi! Airman Brown, where are you?
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Lewisham and southwark are a bit different as seen as Millwall areas.
    Doesn't stop us doing the Valley Express from Priestfield ... well almost!

I hear what you say about ticket offers, you couldn't do anything like that more than once in a season. But if you can get people to go to three games in three weeks, they might well get the habit and come to several more games over the season - especially with arguably more attractive fixtures coming up ... Cardiff, Sheffield U, Ipswich.

Hang on .... the brain cogs are in motion ...... just had a thought .....

...... make it an the offer only available to friends and family of ST holders - ... ie. it is one of the benefits of having a season ticket.

And the marketing's cheap
    - something on the OS (to inform casual fans etc. so they can ask their ST holdiig mates about it), and
    - a nice letter from Pards to all ST holders (except Weegie) ........ thanking us for our support in helping the team get off to such a great start and letting us in on this exclusive offer :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Millwall - an area of London north of the River Thames.

Charlton - an area of London south of the River Thames.
    Southwark - an area of London south of the River Thames.
    Lewisham - an area of London south of the River Thames.

They can have Bermondsey mind ...... in fact can they have Bermondsey mined?

Anyway those b*stards are targetting our homelands .............. time for an all out blitz on Docklands.
  • Options
    Good stuff and I'll bring it up at the next Target 40k meeting or before If I get a chance.

A couple of hurdles to overcome are:

- Casual fans may not want to buy three tickets regardless of prices. One ticket may be enough. Bit like 3 for 2 in book shops. If I only want 1 book I buy one book. If I want two then I'll look around for a third cos it's "free" though really it's not as I've paid for it.

- Only for ST friends is a bit counter to getting in new people. Those with no connection or who don't know people can't benefit and they are the people we want. If you know a keen fan you are more likely to go with them anyway and current fans are the best marketing we can have. Now we have the gaps we want to get the message over that, unlike in pervious years, you can just pitch up or phone and get a ticket no problem. Try a game and see and if you like it there are still STs available.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Millwall - an area of Londonnorthof the River Thames.

Charlton - an area of Londonsouthof the River Thames.
    Southwark - an area of Londonsouthof the River Thames.
    Lewisham - an area of Londonsouthof the River Thames.

So those b*stards are targetting our homelands - time for an all out blitz on Docklands.

They can keep Bermondsey mind.

I'll put you down for the door to door leafleting then, Salad ; - )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I haven't seen a Mercury or News Shopper in a very long time, so I wouldn't just rely on those papers to advertise in. We could always advertise in the SLP, which covers us, and is sold in Greenwich borough, although its editorial area is actually Lewisham/Southwark/Lambeth/Wandsworth, and still gets a healthy sale in those boroughs.

How about sticking ads on buses again? We'd do something better than those Millwall ads, and those buses get around a bit...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Millwall - an area of Londonnorthof the River Thames.

Anyway those b*stards are targetting our homelands .............. time for an all out blitz on Docklands.

Do we still get coverage in The Wharf newspaper?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Only for ST friends is a bit counter to getting in new people.
    Doing this offer to ST holders gives us a free sales team ...."Go, on come along, we're playing great stuff again ..... I can give you a lift .... you can share my flask ..... ". I don't see that there is anything to lose really.

As for totally "new" people, like you say they might not go for a 3 for 2 offer, might be best to tempt them with the possible upcoming fact that we are top of the league.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I live in Blackheath and haven't seen a News Shopper or Mercury for years, we never get them delivered, might not exist anymore for all I know.

Apart from the council paper "Time", the only local things we get delivered are

- Meridian Magazine "designed to cater for the needs of the upwardly-mobile communities of Docklands, Greenwich, Blackheath, Sidcup, Chislehurst and Bromley and the businesses that serve them. A success from day one, its select 50,000-copy distribution attracts advertisers from Docklands to Kent.
    http://www.meridian-magazine.co.uk/ (office in Charlton village by the way)

- The Guide Magazine (although haven't seen it for a few months) "south east London's premier monthly glossy lifestyle magazine distributed free every month to 48,300 selected homes and businesses in Blackheath, Brockley, Charlton, Docklands, Greenwich, Isle of Dogs, Ladywell, Lee, Lewisham, Limehouse, Mottingham, St Johns Wapping and Westcombe Park", based in Blackheath village, can't find a proper link,
    just this (scroll down): http://www.greenwichgateway.com/sector.asp?Id=32
    and this: http://www.mediauk.com/magazines/142135/the-guide
  • Options
    We do still get coverage in the Wharf - a whole page in the one I picked up on Sat.
  • Options
    (veering slightly off-topic)
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]I live in Blackheath and haven't seen a News Shopper or Mercury for years, we never get them delivered, might not exist anymore for all I know.

I don't think anyone would miss either of them, especially the Mercury. Sad, because it used to be a fine paper back in the day, but it's been starved of investment over the years. The other week I heard that it had to sell its photo archive when it moved from its offices in Deptford. It, and the SLP, has new ownership now, so things might improve. The News Shopper's always been a weird paper with a weird name from a weird part of the world.

That Meridian magazine makes me laugh, but there's clearly money in glossy ads for builders and private schools. Ditto The Guide, which I only ever see at the dentist.

Good to hear we're still in The Wharf, I wonder if that persuades people to cross the Thames?
  • Options
    why doesn the news shopper get delivered anymore? i like it for property pages. It think it stopped being delivered just before the summer ?
  • Options
    an idea for the kids doing the HT coaching sessions:
    http://www.charlton-athletic.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=31301

... option of a free child ticket (not upgradeable) when buying an adult ticket to the QPR match.
  • Options
    Probably because its distribution network's terrible. Same with the other paper.
  • Options
    i used to love to read mercury and news shopper when i lived in charlton! but now i am a kent-ite i get them othre ones, messenger and bexley extra or whatever, i love them i think they are awsome! Every friday i go to my corridor thing and the people even stack them so you can take the top 2 and you get one of each! fantastic!