Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Single defensive change

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
We are making slip-ups at the back, with Bougherra and Powell chief culprits.

So Pards might feel he needs to make a defensive change for tomorrow ..... but things aren't so desperate that he is likely to want to take the risk of wholesale changes.

What single defensive change would you opt for?

- (a) Drop Powell for Semedo, bringing Holland/Ambrose into midfield

- (b) Drop Bougherra for Sodje

- (c) Drop Bougherra for Mills, bring Moo2akill to right back

- (d) Same back 4 but go 451 dropping Varney for Holland/Ambrose

... or other ....

Comments

• Options
    What makes you think Semedo could play left back?

I agree with the last option. But I would also think about Sodje for Fortune.
  • Options
    Tough one, b, c or d.

Powell is ok, he is a legend and allowed to make mistakes.

Bougherra must be dropped. I know nothing about Sodje but Pards must rate him.

Otherwise, Mills is playing so well I think he could be just what we need in the middle, a proper organiser.

The only time we have kept a clean sheet away from home is playing a 4-5-1 so wouldnt mind if he did that again tomorrow. Iwelumo holding it up, Sam, Reid and Zheng bombing forward to support.

Varney and Todorov on the bench.
  • Options
    drop bougherra
  • Options
    Sodje in for Bougherra - not sure how much of an improvement, but got to be worth giving it a try.

Not convinced by Semedo as an out and out defender - think he's in the right role where he is.

We let two left backs go in the summer - Youga and Nathan Ashton - so surely we should be confident enough to give Basey a run out at some point if Sir Chris doesn't have the legs for two games a week?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Brunello[/cite]What makes you think Semedo could play left back?

I agree with the last option. But I would also think about Sodje for Fortune.
    What made Pards think he could play centre midfield?! He is a good young defensive player, I think he played right-back in a psf and I wouldn't be surpised if he coudl do a good job at left-back, might be wrong - but I fear Powelly is showing his age, mistake for their goal on Saturday and he has he got the legs for yet another game?

I wasn't at Coventry, but Fortune did well in the last two home games and Bougherra made the howler for Luton's third plus another howler or two on Saturday.
  • Options
    how things change so quickly. It was only a week ago people were saying how well Bougie played against Leicester....

I know very little of this Sodje, but i see no reason why Pards would bring him in on loan if he had no intention of playing him.

Very sad indication of the feelings towards McCarthy. When signed, we had high hopes that he was going to become the strong captain / leader we desperately craved.

Really hasn't worked out for him.
  • Options
    Not sure we all had that high hopes for McCarthy, AFKA - there were doubts already from the Leicester fans' views and from looking at his disciplinary record. No idea why we signed him really - unless Phil Chapple did the scouting.
  • Options
    Needs a change at LB, think the centre backs have been ok as a pair for the last couple of games
  • Options
    The thing is all the defences in this league look poor. I think it is down to the away midfield, the defence is not getting much cover. Coventry was allowed to launch constant attacks from the midfield area this lead to their goal even though its was a Powell mistake.
  • Options
    i think Bougherra has to go - he''s made to many basic errors and needs a rocket up his ass.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why make any changes?

We need some consistency in the team selections so the side can gell together. Magic and Fortune did well against Nowich and Leicester and we kept 2 clean sheets. As for critercising Powell, can anyone remember the last time he made a mistake that costs us a goal?

If a player keeps making silly mistakes then fair enough but I don't think that chopping and changing every game is going to help us at the moment.
  • Options
    I wasn't there - but listening on the radio - it sounded like Fortune was the one making the majority of the mistakes - I could be wrong (Or the radio could have got it wrong)

Anyone clarify?

Mx
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Lisbie[/cite]Why make any changes?

We need some consistency in the team selections so the side can gell together. Magic and Fortune did well against Nowich and Leicester and we kept 2 clean sheets. As for critercising Powell, can anyone remember the last time he made a mistake that costs us a goal?

If a player keeps making silly mistakes then fair enough but I don't think that chopping and changing every game is going to help us at the moment.

I agree Ledge. Players will always make mistakes, that's why they're Championship players and not Premiership players. We need to find some consistency.
  • Options
    b.
    bougherra was touted as the best defender in this division before we signed him. so far he hasn't lived anywhere near up to that label.
  • Options
    Semedo for Powell - He did well when he was moved there to cover for Thatcher going off injured.
  • Options
    Good defences are those that play together for a long time. Thatcher is still out but when he's back I hope Pards finds a back four and sticks with it. The longer they play together the better they will bet.
  • Options
    I think I'd have to give Sodje a run out at the expense of Bougherra - unfortunately I was away for the Leicester game but I'm yet to see Bougherra play well.
  • Options
    My one change would be "Magic" out and anyone in - absolutely anyone.

If we've got Sodje in then surely we should play him?
  • Options
    Fortune was fine did nothing wrong. Mills was very good again.
    Powell played well except he made 2 mistakes, one which was cleared by Mills and the other which ended up in the net.
    Bougy looked dodgy again and his mistakes looked like they could easily have cost us a couple of goals.
    I know little about Sodje but think I would prefer to give him a chance in place of Bougy.
  • Options
    Would be c for me, think Moo2Kill needs to play and Mills would be the experienced head in the centre alongside Fortune. Would think about Sodje instead of Fortune though because Jonny has had ten years at the club and as Stevie Brown has said, he just hasnt progressed into a top player.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Good defences are those that play together for a long time. Thatcher is still out but when he's back I hope Pards finds a back four and sticks with it. The longer they play together the better they will bet.

I would keep the same back four. Magic seems an intelligent footballer to me who may be guilty of a belief that he is great technically and thus doesn't have to concentrate on the basics like effective communication with his teammates and no nonsense clearances where called upon. I suspect that Saturdays game will have left him to ponder his mistakes. I think he'll learn from them and play better tomorrow.

Powell is allowed a mistake once in a while.
  • Options
    Bougherra was abosolutely shocking against Coventry...He has to be dropped for Sodje, other than that, Poweell needs to be dropped when Thatcher is fit. No other changes necessary I think, esp putting midfielders in defence.