Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

"Pinch, punch first of the month. No returns"

Another in an occasional series of English Traditions.

Comments

• here we go!
  • punch and kick for being so quick
  • if you said 'rabbits' as your first word of the day are you immune to the pinch punch
  • I was squitzys
  • edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]here we go!

Well I love my country, it's history and traditions. I thought that some other English men and women might share that.
  • edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]punch and kick for being so quick

Punch in the eye for being so sly

[cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]if you said 'rabbits' as your first word of the day are you immune to the pinch punch

Where is that from? Remember something about "white rabbits" but don't think we did that in Abbey Wood
  • From Wikipedia

Origins and history

The exact origin of the superstition is certainly unknown, though it has appeared in print at least as early as 1420 in England, where it is most commonly said to have originated, though some reports place its origins even earlier, into the 1200s. Today it has spread to most of the English-speaking countries of the world, although like all folklore, determining its exact area of distribution is difficult. The superstition is related to the broader belief in the rabbit or hare being a “lucky” animal, as exhibited in the practice of carrying a rabbit's foot for luck.

Some have also believed it is representing a jumping into the future and moving ahead with life and happiness.
  • Soon be Christmas..
  • [cite]Posted By: Gump[/cite]Soon be Christmas..

already is in most supermarkets....

ridiculous.

We've still got the big marketing attempt to make Halloween more popular than it is to come......
  • Having oiks trick or treating....grrrrrrrrrrr
  • Sponsored links:

• i love england henry,thats why i moan,our most popular tradition.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]i love england henry,thats why i moan,our most popular tradition.

Very true. : - )
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]punch and kick for being so quick

Punch in the eye for being so sly

A kick up the bum for being so dumb.
  • its after midday, so its now deemed unlucky to join in the "first of the month" so you are cursed for a year or something...
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]here we go!

Thank god his reign of terror is coming to an end this year, otherwise I fear you'd be seeing anyone not dressed head to toe is Morris dancing attire, banned from attending The Valley.....
  • maybe like ken,henry will run again..................................
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]here we go!

Thank god his reign of terror is coming to an end this year, otherwise I fear you'd be seeing anyone not dressed head to toe is Morris dancing attire, banned from attending The Valley.....

Fortunately I've been appointed cultural ambassador to the 2012 olympics and will be insisting on elements of English cluture in all events. All English athletes will wear Morris custumes (Scots/Welsh/Irish will wear their own national dress) while competing. In addition commentary will all be in middle English "Forsooks, that be a lusty heave of the hammer by the comely wench for Bulgaria" would be a typical example.

Bad news is that they are only paying £2m per year but I'm happy to serve my country.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]maybe like ken,henry will run again..................................

No, never, not going to happen, neit, nein, non LOCKED ON FACT