Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LATEST POLL: Hull v Charlton

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
How do you see it going ?

Comments

• Options
    tricky one this. I'm finding it hard to decide what i think is going to happen, so will be interested to see what the consensus is.
  • Options
    unless that defence is changed , i can't see us getting anything up there ....still the terrific boost the players will get from the empty seats in the away end should give them a lift !!
  • Options
    its getting really boring mate. We all know our away support isn't great, but what's the point of bleating on about it everyday ?
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]its getting really boring mate. We all know our away support isn't great, but what's the point of bleating on about it everyday ?
    when people stop slagging other teams support off i'll be happy to refrain from mentioning ours...... and genuinely i think the team deserves so much more (away) support than it currently receives....
    we all can't go for varying reasons etc but how comes our away support(in numbers) differs so significantly from clubs with much smaller home crowds than us, i can't work it out!
  • Options
    no being funny ooh aah but even when we taken thousands away we've lost so what difference does it make.

Blackburn and Boro away 2 recent examples. Yeah I know it was free and all that but the fact is we got gubbed with massive away support.

Remember we took 10k to Utd and still lost against 10 men -

I remember going to Newcastle away in the 80's midweek with about 200 and we won so it's a nonsensical argument that bigger away support would give the players that bit of uuumph when it clearly doesn't
  • Options
    others might, but i don't see people keep going on other teams support all the time. And ours might not be fantastic, but its better than you make out. Use Coventry as an example. Hull and Preston have also visited there this season, i'd say they were both equally distanced to us from Coventry probably a little closer.

Preston - 492 fans
    Hull - 1015 fans
    Charlton - 2023 fans

Twice as many as Hull, and over four times as many as Preston.

800 went to Luton to watch the reserves, despite being charged more than double what Arsenal were charging at the Emirites.

Its not great, but its not as bad as you make out. We are not a premiership club, and everyone outside the top 8 of the premiership don't take away what they used to anymore.
  • Options
    Away support makes little difference to the teams performance, it only makes a better atmoshere for the travelling fans.
    A little trip to Grimsby a few years for a mid week fix produced a great game, 2-4 I think? doubt if there were more than 150 cafc fans.
    The 1 or 2 coaches were late and missed the ko as well.
  • Options
    I think we will win and get back to two points a game but we won't go top.

And agree with AFKA. Going on about the away support is almost as tedious as telling everyone what a great player Cory Gibbs will be for us ; - )
  • Options
    i think our support at coventry was boosted by the new ground affect , the dowie factor and we were second , let's see how many turn up next year (if we're still in this division) and i recall the away turn out at soton's ground was impressive the first time we went there but not so good the next visit
    will any team bring less to the valley than what we bring to hull tonight and we're third!!
    i agree with ledge in the fact that whether we bring 10k or 100 what bearing does it really have on the result but i'm sure we'd all love to have bigger away followings and i'm sure the team and management would too
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i think our support at coventry was boosted by the new ground affect , the dowie factor and we were second

then you're always going to be looking for excuses. People pick and choose nowadays, its expensive. Which is why we took 3,000 to Norwich compared to 1,900 to Spurs in the same season.
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i recall the away turn out at soton's ground was impressive the first time we went there but not so good the next visit

because it was Boxing Day
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i'm sure we'd all love to have bigger away followings and i'm sure the team and management would too

fair enough, and i agree. But we're no West Ham etc with long-running traditionally strong support, so you can't expect us to be the same. And to be honest, i know you've 'done your time', but it would carry a bit more weight if you were one of the ones like Large, or Southend that does actually travel to most away games. It seems folly to keep digging when you're not still making the effort yourself.
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    will any team bring less to the valley than what we bring to hull tonight and we're third!!

See this is where i think a lot of people get there opinion from, but its completely wrong to compare. Every other club has supporters living in the London area who have moved to the capital due to work. Certainly a lot more than we have living in the Hull area. Plus London is the prime away for fans of other clubs to do an overnighter / make a weekend of it. Plus we are seen as a nice safe club and ground to visit. You cannot compare the two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2007
    how many teams will bring less to the valley than we bring to their ground for the reverse journey , bearing in mind we are in the top 5 in home support numbers and as it looks at the moment we'll be in the top 5 for the season against that we'll be an attractive fixture for the lesser clubs who wont be doing as well so it's a bit of a leveller...
    our away support is crap(in numbers) no matter how you dress it up....
  • Options
    So what you are saying Oohaah is, if I've got it right, and I want to be sure, is that, and correct me if I'm wrong, our away support is crap?

Is anyone else not clear and want Oohaah to explain again?
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    would it be okay with you if he responds?
  • Options
    I agree that its crap, but like afka said, other teams away support is flattered when they play us as there are a lot more 'london based football fans' than say hull based charlton fans, or blackpool based charlton fans. but I dare say an amount of hull based london fans, hence making up some of the numbers.

I don't think AFKA has disagreed with the fact that we've got a bad support, however, I think it is relative to the size of our support in general.

all other clubs can use the exact same excuses as us: family, decorating, expense. are we saying that other teams don't have families or houses or things to do on a saturday? no, the fact is, there are more fans!
  • Options
    I think if we have a concerted run of winning games away from home you will see a big improvement in the numbers. People get out of the habit of going to away games...especially when (as the last 7 seasons) we have featured on tv quite a bit. We also had a particularly bad record away and nobody wants to travel for 8-10 hours to see their club predictably lose...this season will be different as we have every chance of gaining the right result on our travels, and apart from the obvious games like Hull this evening I think numbers will improve for the Saturday games. Last time I went to Hull was the promotion season back in 85/6....wasnt the easisest or most pleasant of places to go to on a Saturday, let alone on a Tuesday evening...we only took a few hundred or so back then, based on home crowds of 5-7,000, so by comparison we would roughly take 4 times that number these days on a Saturday...so 800-1000 for an early season game....is that really poor? Whats the rule of thumb for away support versus, say season ticket sales? somewhere between 5 and 10% ?
    Id be interested in what other people think on this....

Tel
  • Options
    As via the beginning of the thread, Ive gone for a draw..... difficult pick tonight as the three way split shows...
  • Options
    I think a new term is required other than saying 'Our Away Support is Crap' that is an insult to the regulars that do go. You should re-phrase this insult to 'Our Away numbers are crap' in future otherwise Admin will start deleting your posts. :-)
  • Options
    I have voted for an away win.

Still dont think we will keep a clean sheet but fancy us to score a couple.
  • Options
    I think another consideration is the third world conditions so many in the South East are forced to endure travelling to and from work each day.

Do they really want to endure engineering works, roadworks etc on their days off too only to be treated like common criminals by over zealous stewards once they reach their destination and pay over the odds for the "privilege?"
  • Options
    yeah I got lost in the thread there somewhere.....Im going for a win 2-1...nearly had second thoughts seeing Pedersen had gone to Hull, but Im sticking with it...just gotta believe...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure where that rant came from Len.

AFKA only asked what you thought the result might be
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]Not sure where that rant came from Len.

AFKA only asked what you thought the result might be

There are a number of postings about our "crap" away support.

I just chipped in with a few thoughts of my own.

I've voted for a home win on the "sods law" principle.

If (as I hope) I'm wrong then Charlton have at least a point. If I'm right then I have the (very) small consolation of getting the prediction right!
  • Options
    Surely as fans we have to believe we can win a game like this, early in the season, 3rd in the league.

Why not!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: StanmoreAddick[/cite]Surely as fans we have to believe we can win a game like this, early in the season, 3rd in the league.

Why not!

because the one thing we do better than moaning is to think and spout negativity.

Ps. i think we're going to get turned over tonight........ :-)
  • Options
    I've gone for a CAFC win. Can't see what Hull have to offer to be honest.
  • Options
    I've gone for a draw, I think at home we're going to really hurt teams but away from home the few times i've seen us I just think we lack something.
  • Options
    I'm with LenGlover and AFKA on this one. Frankie Valley's put the kibosh on it by predicting an away win, and he never gets it right ;-)

And as for Mr OohAah - last year he had the team to moan about, so he had to find something different this season. What will it be next year?
  • Options
    we're gonna get relegated if we go up and don't make wholesale changes or we'll have to go up next year or we're down forever ...oh and our away support(in numbers) will still be crap;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]we're gonna get relegated if we go up and don't make wholesale changes or we'll have to go up next year or we're down forever ...oh and our away support(in numbers) will still be crap;-)

Mortimer was an exciting player. Shame he didn't inspire you.
  • Options
    palace had 200 for a saturday game away at burnley,we had over 2000 for coventry,it aint all bad,lol