Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hull Game - Feedback from those at the game

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Just got back to Norwich. My thoughts on the game:

In the first half we kept hitting it long to Big Chris and were out manned in midlfield. Reidy and ZZ in particular found it difficult. The goal was really our first decent chance. The game was pretty lively and Hull offered mainly a physical threat orchestrated by that Knob head Windass. The sendings off really got the crowd buzzing.

In the second half as the game wore on we looked in much better control with Reidy and ZZ much more in the game which meant we kept possesion far better. The second goal was the clincher and well made by ZZ's run into the box and perfect lay off for Big Chris. Typical Charlton though conceding in injury time which went on for ages as two Charlton players, one of them Semedo, needed lengthy treatment for injuries. All in all though an excellent win where our battlin qualities shone through. The team really wanted it tonight and were much tighter than on Saturday.

As far as individuals are concerned. All the defenders played well and Weaver had a really solid game. The midfield struggled in the first half with Sam having his least effective game.

In the second half Reidy and ZZ showed their class and Semedo won more of the ball.

Up front Big Chris did his usual although as Hull played a high defensive line especially in the first half, Varney kept getting caught offside. Both Varney and Big Chris were visibly tiring before we got our second, having worked very hard.

My MoM was Weaver who's handling was sure and he also made some crucial saves.

Comments

• Options
    Latimer:

Well after a ropes first half where we mugged a 1-0 lead courtesy of a Varney tap in we moved on into an altogether different second half. In the first half we by passed the midfield, hoofed long ball up to Big Chris didn't have Varney too close at hand so we conceded possession and allowed Hull to come onto us. Our passing was scrappy and our ability to build an attack woeful, so playing poorly but winning, sign of a good team. And to cap it all we lose Loyd Sam who had been struggling, Weaver got lucky when he dropped a ball got a free kick even though windyass hadn't touched him and scored.

Second half what a difference as the mighty reds attacked the goal toward us 300 or so Addicks. Passing, interplay, holding possession were there for all to see and we took a grip of the game culminating in a superb finish by Big Chris following a brilliant lay off by ZZ to give us a 2-0 lead. The game became rather feisty with 5 mins added on only for another 5 mins to be added on for several head injuries in the added on time. One return of ball instance by one Danny Mills following a blow up by the ref for an injury resulted in the ball almost hitting the opposition corner flag huge protests form Hull....wonderful for the Addickted tough. after giving away a sloppy goal at the death we defended manfully for the 10 mins added and came away with a deserved 2-1 victory, a great night.

The night got better though as the players came over to give us a clap at the end, Weaver and Powell remained, the legend took off his shirt and it was gratefully received by Ms Lat, she is over the moon to say the least.

Thanks Big Chris and Little Chris!
  • Options
    Both are more helpful than my mates:

'Hull appears to be made up of pregnant 12-year olds'
  • Options
    fcukin tired got in at 3.15 due to my passengers wanting to celebrate the due and not leaving hull until 11.One luckind sod won £250 quid after backing varney first goal scorer plus varney first goal scorer and charlton 2-1.Thought we were lucky in first half especially when ref gave foul,when Weaver misjudged a cross,apart from that second half Reid,Mills and ZZ different gravy.Great to see all our subs gettin involved in dust up, shows great togetherness.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    yeah,there does seem to be a different mentality from the players.in previous seasons if a fight broke out i would have expected most of our players to turn a blind eye,pretending not to see.i think our players now are more up for it together.
  • Options
    wouldn't want to see that every week, not much of a game of 'football'. They set out to rough us up but didn't succeed. Gritty, determined performance. Would have brought on McLeod with half hour to go as he would have terrorised their pondorous back line. Mills was different gravy, a warm round of appluase from the City fans at the start but a wanker twenty minutes later. LOL. Ref was awful in my opinion. Hope the 300 or so came across on the radio.
  • Options
    Good solid performance from the team. I have read a few things about play acting on our behalf and, Weaver & Bougherra aside, I think the other knocks and injuries were genuine. Weaver landed awkwardly but held his head to get the game stopped and Bougherra was complaining about an elbow - can't say for sure whether this was valid or not

Anywho, that's all over with now so here are my views for each player

Weaver - Two great "top corner" saves kept the 3 points in the bag. Good kicking and solid
    Mills - At his antagonistic best once again. He was superb, solid and always a threat
    Powell - He was his usual self. Mr Dependable and Mr Unflappable
    Bougherra - a few lapses but repelled everything in the air. Much better performance
    Fortune - Same as Bougherra

Sam - Looked lively but I think the red card was harsh. Replay shows he was kicked several times and placed in a headlock. He may have retaliated but even the Pope would struggle to remain calm in that scenario. I doubt the card will be rescinded though
    ZZ - Ran all night and got stuck in. Superfit and becoming a very important part of the team. Great awareness for the 2nd goal
    Semedo - Who needs Makelele. This kid is great at doing the simple things, getting his foot in and short passes. Comfortable with both feet and looks like an absolute bargain. Truly inspired signing and well done Pards for getting him to play the holding role
    Reid - Give him the ball and watch the magic unfold before your eyes. He can be mesmerising at time but also has a tremendous workrate. Great performance

Iwelumo - Thoroughly deserved the goal after playing up front alone for the majority of the game. Never stopped running and got some great tackles in. Aggressive in the air and he has grown on me immensely and is definitely a "Charlton" type player.
    Varney - Ran a lot but played out of position after Sam's dismissal. Took his goal nicely but needs to work more on his partnership with Iwelumo and work out where his flicked headers will be going. Would be nice if he could stay onside once or twice in a game too

Pards - Kept the team together until the end before making changes. This was needed as there was a solidarity out there.

When he came on Sodje looked strong and awesome in the air.

Overall I thought it was a job well done - only other comment is spared for Windass. "SHUT UP YOU FAT WHINING IDIOT!" He spent much of the game berating the ref or trying to kick people. He undoubtedly has some ability and can do a job but he was more intent in trying to get someone hurt. What's the score fat boy!!
  • Options
    bet you're glad of your late decision now Swisdom !!!
  • Options
    You betcha!

It made a horrendous drive back berable!
  • Options
    what was the ground like ?
  • Options
    Nice ground too big for them East Yorkshire pr*cks.

Cheers Latimer for persuading me in going. 4.15 pm I was at work with no real intention in going. I bet Ms Latimer is still over the moon with her gift from Chrissy.

See u soon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm not sure about all this giving the shirts away business. Do the players think the club is made of money? If you send me your address Latimer I'll get the club to post an invoice. : - )

Seriously It's good to see a bit of unity and spirit from the team as shown by the "fight" and players giving away fans a proper clap, throwing shirts, etc. I will be annoyed if Andy Ried does it as Bromley Addicks have sponsored his away shirt this year.

Couldn't see on the Sky clip but it seemed that Big Chris went to run one way to celebrate and then turned 90 degrees to run behind the goal. I presume to where the Chartlon fans were.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Overall I thought it was a job well done - only other comment is spared for Windass. "SHUT UP YOU FAT WHINING IDIOT!" He spent much of the game berating the ref or trying to kick people. He undoubtedly has some ability and can do a job but he was more intent in trying to get someone hurt. What's the score fat boy!![/quote]

totally agree, the man is a fat donkey who shouldve retired years ago. they were also trying to wind mills up, particularly at the beginning of the second half when he was on the receiveing end of quite a few bad hacks. great stadium tho, shame about the fans and the cloggers they support
  • Options
    "fcukin tired got in at 3.15 due to my passengers wanting to celebrate the due and not leaving hull until 11.One luckind sod won £250 quid after backing varney first goal scorer plus varney first goal scorer and charlton 2-1.Thought we were lucky in first half especially when ref gave foul,when Weaver misjudged a cross,apart from that second half Reid,Mills and ZZ different gravy.Great to see all our subs gettin involved in dust up, shows great togetherness."

Don't want to rub it in Steve but I decided to, ahem "work at home" today!

Top night out mate, thanks for driving (and letting us have a couple of pints after the game!!
  • Options
    Bristol City next 6 nov and it's Paul's turn to drive.
  • Options
    I really liked the Ground, good atmospherics, easy parking, close to town. Completely different feel to the Ricoh which was miles from anywhere on an industrial estate, plasticy tacky feel to it even though it's new.