Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

No relegation from the Premiership

Thats what the new overseas owners want to happen. Death of football in England or will the Football League flourish due to it being more competitive if this did happen ?

Comments

• Don't know if anyone else read Roy Keane's comments about the Premiership at the weekend but I thought they were spot on. Players taking home five figures a week who don't even like the game, the top four continuing to expand the gap between themselves and the also rans, the pandering to money and TV, the loss of 3pm Saturday kick offs.

Deep down I obviously want Charlton to get promoted again but there's a lot of me that says I really shouldn't. Something needs to be done to sort out what the Premier League's become and closing the doors to it may actually help (it's not the ideal answer - that's obviously to spread the money around in a much more equitable way but the self intrerested big boys will never allow that to happen) - trouble is I don't know whether I'd want to get locked in there or not!
  • a) kick the Champions League regulars into a new Super European League and let us get back to a proper competitive English league.

b) never let them come back!
  • [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Thats what the new overseas owners want to happen. Death of football in England or will the Football League flourish due to it being more competitive if this did happen ?

Whose overseas owners have said this? Obviously they'd want to protect their investment, but it's a crackers notion all the same.

Mind you, some might say the yawning cash chasm between the Premier League and Football League (and us and Watford gliding serenely by at the top of the league) has distorted promotion/relegation between the two leagues anyway.
  • [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]a) kick the Champions League regulars into a new Super European League and let us get back to a proper competitive English league.

b) never let them come back!

Spot on Salad. I don't reckon it will be long before the Champs League starts to lose it's appeal - people like Chelsea are already struggling to sells seats after all. When it does it would be funny to think of these "giants" all scrapping about and sweating on a slice of the Premier League cake again - although obviously the FA/PL would let them straight back in!
  • I can well understand that American owners would want a franchise league. I can't see it happening as FIFA and UEFA will block it.
  • [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]Thats what the new overseas owners want to happen. Death of football in England or will the Football League flourish due to it being more competitive if this did happen ?

Poor old Derby if they do.
  • Don't believe it won't happen guys.
    If they're talking about it, it's a reality.

Money talks, as well we know.