Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A big THANK YOU to all

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Hi,

I feel as though I have to say a big thank you to all at Charlton and I mean fans, staff, admin and media representatives.

My name is Andy Firth and I own the radio station at Barnsley Football Club, Oakwell1575AM, and attend all the games to do live commentary for our station and for the official BFC website.

I was at the game on Saturday and situated in the press area. Normally this can be quite daunting when you are tucked within the home support as we were at The Valley but everyone made us feel welcome, even having a beer before the game and at half time, although I did get quite a few funny looks when I went ballistic with my commentary when we scored, but that is understandable.

We are not the best side in the division this season but we are by no means the worst. Charlton however are a strong side and one of my tips to make the top 2 this season.

If anyone, on your trip to Oakwell later in the season, would like to visit our studio at the ground and have a chat on air about your club and all things football then please feel free to get in touch.

Once again many thanks for a great day out and all the very best for the remainder of the season.

Andy Firth
Oakwelli575AM

Comments

• Options
    all the best Andy, thanks for your feedback. The club read this forum so they'll be pleased with what you say.

I've always wondered how hard it must be doing a commentary at an away ground, and seeing what reaction you get when you start celebrating. Any horror tales ??
  • Options
    Awat at Bradford in the FA Cup replay a couple of seasons ago was a nightmare. We were sat in an enclosed press area but just over the wall from some very unruly, very large and loudmouthed Bardford fans. They took every chance they could to disrupt commentary, especially as they went ahead 3 times in the original 90 minutes.

We won 5-3 in extra time and made the most of it.

Getting away was interesting to say the least.
  • Options
    Andy, are you running a sports RSL or a full time station?
  • Options
    As a Charlton supporter and a football fan in the general sense of the word, I'd like to say how much I've enjoyed the good football discussion and banter from the Barnsley supporters.

This is what football rivalry should be about.

A big hand for the Barnsley fans and I hope you have a great season.
    As long as you finish below Charlton, of course......!

;o)

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Andy, are you running a sports RSL or a full time station?

Has Charlton ever explored doing an RSL?

(for non radio geeks - an RSL is a "restricted service licence" station, which you can either run for a month or you can run around events like football matches; I used to know the people who did Palace's many moons ago)
  • Options
    Yes. We did look into it, but the problem would be reception - If we did an FM RSL - we'd have been blown away by the pirates, too many of them in London - just try tuning your car radio in London - nearly every frequency has something on it. AM would have got us out there, but quality would be poor.
  • Options
    How would internet radio fit into that? Different ball game altogether I imagine?
  • Options
    Internet radio - we're back to the commentary licence issue with Premium TV... :o(
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]As a Charlton supporter and a football fan in the general sense of the word, I'd like to say how much I've enjoyed the good football discussion and banter from the Barnsley supporters.

This is what football rivalry should be about.

A big hand for the Barnsley fans and I hope you have a great season.
    As long as you finish below Charlton, of course......!

;o)

Totally agree, and somewhat different from the stuff coming from our last opponents Hull who seem to think that we fan are to blame for some iffy refereeing.