Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Owen and Newcastle

Interesting to see what's going on there. Allardyce and Newcastle clearly aren't happy. Being paid a fortune by his club yet he has played more times for his country in the last two years than he has for his club. Yet Owen naturally sees an opportunity to break Bobby Charlton's goal record.

So who is in the right ?

Comments

• Options
    There is no right or wrong here as I think as they both have a very good case. I can certainly see both sides of it. Maybe Newcastle should pay him on appearances
  • Options
    But then he wouldn't have signed for them.
  • Options
    Owen is right. He has clearly said he was fit to play 90 minutes on Sunday but the snide Allardyce chose to put him the bench and give OUT all the bollox about Michael's fitness to then put the pressure off him and on to Owen.

I understand Newcastle fans frustration but if fit Owen should play for England and rightly try and break the record. These clubs will take the plaudits of international players and hike up their transfer fee because of their status but moan when it goes wrong. Look at West Hma they lost Dean Ashton on England duty - they didn't whinge as much as the Newcastle lot.

It happens -

IF Allardyce was England manager ,and he made a big thing of wanting the job, do you think he would have thought differently. HGe certainly won't get it now.
  • Options
    Don't see the problem, he was fit to play for Newcastle if selected but Allardyce chose to have him as sub. He came on and scored the winner, so why question his commitment to Newcastle.
    I can understand they don't want him to get injured playing for England, but he could just as easily injure himself in training.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    turning it around a little, how would we all feel if Andy Reid hadn't played for us, went off in the last international break and played for Ireland, got injured and didn't play since, then looked like he was playing this Saturday ?
  • Options
    AFKA we'd all moan mate that goes without saying BUT it's Michael Owen and he's a legend end of
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Interesting to see what's going on there. Allardyce and Newcastle clearly aren't happy. Being paid a fortune by his club yet he has played more times for his country in the last two years than he has for his club. Yet Owen naturally sees an opportunity to break Bobby Charlton's goal record.

So who is in the right ?

That Owen has played and scored more often for England than Newcastle is just one of those things, but Newcastle knew this when they signed an established England international and one moreover with a bad track record for getting injured - Owen has never played a full season, and I don't think the player does himself any favours by playing when half-fit, as in the last World Cup when a further injury ko'd him for most of last year.

Why is Allardyce moaning? I think it's his nature, and a sign that the managers are under enormous pressure in the Premiership. Rightly he wants to look after his job and he knows that a recurrence of Owen's injury might leave him out for a month or two and he needs him fit and scoring goals for Newcastle. Had he got the Enland job of course he'd be saying the exact opposite and would be moaning if whoever was the Newcastle manager suggested he shouldn't play.
  • Options
    As Al the addick said, there isn't a right or wrong. You can understand Owen wanting to play for England and you can also understand why Allardyce would want to look after the best interests of Newcastle.

My view is that if a player is fit to play for his club then he is fit to play for his country. Owen played for Newcastle on sunday so he should play on saturday. But then I'm not a Newcastle fan.....
  • Options
    I was reading earlier this week about owen's "race for fitness for England" and knew it would annoy the Geordies.

I just think he should chose his words more carefully. i.e. last week it was all about being able to play for England and nothing about Newcaastle - as if they didnt exist. This issue has arisen before for Owen so its nothing new.
  • Options
    Owen doesn't want to play for Newcastle
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad[/cite]Owen doesn't want to play for Newcastle

So what....

No-one else wanted him when Newcastle came in for him and he seems happy enough to take the huge wages that they are paying him. Until another club comes in for him he should show them a bit more respect and, as Curb_it said, choose his words a bit more carefully.
  • Options
    Why doesnt Owen just retire from Premiership Football. Oops I guess that wouldnt work.
  • Options
    Benitez should have signed Owen when he had the chance, Owen clearly only went to the Toon because they were the next biggest club , paying big money for him.

In my eyes Owen is a English Legend in the making. So all this sh!te that allardyce is stirring will only bring allardyce down.