Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Reid v Germany

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
From the Guardian On-line

But Ireland started promisingly. Andy Reid was in the team to create, but he was energetic in winning the ball back too during an opening 30 minutes when all the good things that came from Ireland came from him.

Reid delivered two passes that deserved more, putting Keogh in for one and playing Keane in for another when the Tottenham striker, not for the first time, failed a one-on-one confrontation with Jens Lehmann, shooting tamely."

Comments

• Options
    is he injured?? i caught the end of a ssn headline and i thought it said he was a doubt for irelands next match
  • Options
    i get the impression they played him no fully fit
  • Options
    LINK: Golden boot Reid leads by example with sparkling display
    There could only be one candidate for 'Man of the Match', a black-bearded, piratical 25-year-old Dub, complete with chunky build and a left-foot sprinkled with gold dust.

How Andy Reid was left out of the Irish team to play Slovakia last month will remain one of the more perplexing mysterious of Steve Staunton's managerial reign.

Watching the Charlton Athletic man find the target with a mix of 30-yard crossfield arrows and inch-perfect incisive darts into the channels, evoked memories of Liam Brady in his pomp.

Like Brady, Reid gives the impression that, at times, he's not exactly operating at full throttle, fitness-wise, yet he was still going strong after 90-plus minutes on Croker's open spaces on Saturday.

A leader on the pitch, the case for making him captain, thereby removing the responsibility which has blunted Robbie Keane's edge, is a plausible one.
  • Options
    LINK: Andy Reid, Man of the match. Should form the basis of Ireland's future midfield
    Andy Reid 8 - Man of the match. Should form the basis of Ireland's future midfield. Question marks persist about his recurring disappearing acts in games such as these. Needs to return to the Premiership and if not, why not?

there is the nucleus of a very capable international side at our disposal. Not even the most ardent sceptic could fail to be optimistic about the brilliance of Andy Reid -- still only 25
  • Options
    'Needs to return to the Premiership and if not, why not? '

oh no talk like that means a bid will come in for him in Jan and we know what happens when a good bid comes in for one our players.
  • Options
    never realised he was still only 25.....
  • Options
    It sounds like he played too bloody well!

prediction .... the speculation will start once the clocks go back .... with Everton being heavily linked.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    If we are not top 2 by Christmas with a gap to 3rd and looking good he'll be off.
    I imagine his agent is rather busy at the moment....
  • Options
    Marvellous..... flippin marvellous.............
  • Options
    His injury record has been appalling throughout his career.

That fact MIGHT help us keep him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's happy, playing every game, likes Pards, captain of a winning team.
    If we keep doing well, he will stay for the season and hopefully more.
  • Options
    He'll stay this season
  • Options
    I would say the same as Rothko.

Who would come in for him? Not at top 5/6 side so where would the benefit be in him moving to someone such as Derby, Boro, Bolton etc
  • Options
    I'm with CD and Rothko on this,

It's only one of the strugglers that would come in for him, He's had a fairly bad experience at Spudz and enjoying life at the Valley.
  • Options
    Just think some Charlton supporters have a big paranoid problem with the Winter transfer window
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Just think some Charlton supporters have a big paranoid problem with the Winter transfer window

Paranoia is where you have unfounded imaginings.

I'll rest my case by mentioning the names Parker and Murphy both of which were factual!
  • Options
    there may well be sales in Jan, but it won't be Reid.

He's had a good couple of games, be pleased not fear it.

I still have doubts of him at premiership level, and think he still needs to improve this year if he is going to be a player that makes an impression on the Prem, but for now lets just hope he stays injury free, playing reguarly, and consistently improving.
  • Options
    couple? I've felt Reid has been playing really well all season.
  • Options
    Watch the game, and have to say that Ried was top notch, he was putting balls everywhere and made the Germans look like they were a CCC side.
  • Options
    Pards has a gentlemens agreement with Reid that he won't leave in January.

I'm not wholly convinced by Reid just yet. I think he is good but for every sublime pass that creates a chance there are 4 which go nowhere which people seem to overlook.

Can't really see a side in the premiership that would want him and that would be a decent step up the ladder for him.