Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Football vs Rugby

2»

Comments

• Options
    it is a good rule and the reason it doesnt work in football is that the FA dobnt enforce it, it works in rugby and they keep their mouths shut after being sent back 10, no reason why if enforced it would not work in football.
  • Options
    1.) Where thrown ins are taken from
    2.) Where free kicks are taken from
    3.) Goalkeeper 6 second rule

my three pet hates in rule breaking in footy
  • Options
    yeah, all good rules, but never enforced an virtually forgotten about now, why?
  • Options
    What about the man having to go off the pitch before he can come back on? I thought that head injuries were exempt from this, but it seems not these days. Particularly galling if your man gets hacked down and has to go off as you are effectively punished by going down to 10 men AND by the fact that your man isn't available to take the free kick/penalty.
  • Options
    The going off rule is very strange. FIFA introduced a new rule in 94 saying players had to leave the pitch BEFORE receiving treatment. Somehow every referee and football association managed to misread that as the player has to leave the pitch AFTER receiving treatment. I'm really not sure how or why that happened, but every referee I know thinks the rule as described by the FA is stupid.

It should be more like rugby, if a player is down injured then just let the physio on and play on (unless they are say in the area or D). Would stop all play-acting very quickly, just say a player being treated can't play people onside and as soon as treatment is done it is up to the player whether they want to sprint up field to avoid playing the opposition on, or whether they want to leave the pitch to do that. Obviously in the later case they would need to wait to be allowed back on by the ref
  • Options
    or if it is a player who has got injured as a result of a foul - the player who committed the foul should at least be going off while the injured player is off the field
  • Options
    "Rugby is a beastly game played by gentlemen; soccer is a gentleman's game played by beasts; football is a beastly game played by beasts." - Henry Blaha
  • Options
    Rugby - a game for thugs played by gentlemen
    Football - a game for gentlemen played by thugs
  • Options
    lets not forget,hardly anyone plays the game,football is played by every nation.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]lets not forget,hardly anyone plays the game,football is played by every nation.

That's a bit of a misconception actually mate.

There are a lot of countries that play Rugby, its just that its popularity is not as wide spread within those "developing" countries and there are less professional authorities / set ups than in football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i will put it another way,a handfull of teams play it to a decent level,it has never caught on,good luck to em saturday,but its no more a world cup than the cricket one.
  • Options
    Simple fact is football players get away with murder because the refs are too soft and mangers won't do anything about it.

Make back chatting a ref a yellow card offence, do it twice and your off and actually stick to it. When clubs start losing players for big games, maybe they'll take player discipline seriously.
  • Options
    take all this money out of football and it will be the great game again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]take all this money out of football and it will be the great game again.

Agreed
  • Options
    thanks dan no bastard agrees with me on here!!
  • Options
    As an aside the watch the US develop over the next 8 /12 years.

USA Rugby are trawling through the colleges to pick up American Football players that didnt get picked up in the drafts, offering them decent contracts to start playing Rugby
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]thanks dan no bastard agrees with me on here!!

Come here and have a man hug
  • Options
    coming atcha kidder.
  • Options
    Didn't an NFL team offer Wilkinson stupid money to go over there to purely kick their field goals?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Didn't an NFL team offer Wilkinson stupid money to go over there to purely kick their field goals?
    Clive Allen went and done that didnt he?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Didn't an NFL team offer Wilkinson stupid money to go over there to purely kick their field goals?
    Clive Allen went and done that didnt he?

I think he played for the London Monarchs for a bit when they were going - more of a gimmick than anything.
  • Options
    Also if injured and not in the immediate area of play, treatment takes place on the pitch therefore not having stupid claims of injury slowing down the game.

Went to Rectory Field on Saturday; and a claim that the game should hav been stopped - the linseman (touch judge???) turned round and told the supporter in no uncertain terms that ther was no way the injury was interfering with play....there was no arguing.

And compared to CAFC we had 4 pint pitchers of beer, and trusted to drink while the game went on, for £8 and smoking on the touch line.

I have to say I didn't have much clue what was going on for chunks of the game.