Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gibber injured

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Yeah I know.....

Its another one
http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=31402&newstype=m

Comments

• Options
    Unbelievable. What is the definition of a freak injury. Did he fall over a black cat running across the pitch or something?
  • Options
    this cant be for real
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Unbelievable. What is the definition of a freak injury. Did he fall over a black cat running across the pitch or something?

well in anyone else's book it might be falling through a coffee table or dropping a bottle of aftershave on your foot, for him it probably means it happened while he was actually on a football pitch
  • Options
    getting beyond being funny.

Serious question. Did his original injury occur whilst on duty with the US team, and what compensation has been sought for the past 17 months ??
  • Options
    Should not have come to us in the 1st place a long time out of the game injured. I believe Curbishley signed him before Curbs buggered off.
  • Options
    I see from the report that Harry Arter was captain for the reserves in that game. The boy is taking big steps forward & I look forward to him challenging for a first team place before long.
  • Options
    I was listening to a few of his mates in the crowd at the Luton game. They seem to think he is something special and I must admit I have been quite impressed with his from the limited time I have seen him.
  • Options
    Not bad all that money earn't and never played.

Bet he is not on SSP
  • Options
    suspected broken foot according to the KM. His Charlton 'career' looks over before it's begun.
  • Options
    If you did a shirt sponsor on him, how long would you have to wait for a match worn one?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bloody lord lucan
  • Options
    this isn't even funny.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]If you did a shirt sponsor on him, how long would you have to wait for a match worn one?

Got his sponsored shirt from last season. Signed. Any offers. D

Seemed a genuinely nice guy when I met him at the sponsors do but it seems he just isn't going to get a chance. Feel really gutted for the guy. I know he's being paid a decent sum for not playing but see it from his point of view. Young guy joins club in "best league in world". Gets injured playing with US and has three changes of manager, a relegation and endless injuries and still hasn't been able to play. May even be wondering if he'll never play again. Just feel very sad for him.
  • Options
    Feel sorry for him naturally, but the bigger picture dictates my train of thought, and the belief that what we have paid to 1 player who has never come close to wearing our shirt would most likely of more than adequately covered the salaries of the masses who lost their jobs in the Summer.

Have we received ANY compensation from the US ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Feel sorry for him naturally, but the bigger picture dictates my train of thought, and the belief that what we have paid to 1 player who has never come close to wearing our shirt would most likely of more than adequately covered the salaries of the masses who lost their jobs in the Summer.

Have we received ANY compensation from the US ?

Agree on the people who lost their jobs but would add that he's not to blame for his injuries. I can think of a few of players who, IMHO, had the opportunity on the pitch to keep the club up and those people in their jobs and didn't give a flying f***.

Don't know about compensation. I don't remember ever hearing about such a payment. Can clubs claim for international associations. I didn't think they could. Imagine Chelsea claiming £24m from the Ivory Coast FA id Drogba was croked playing for them. How would they be able to afford that?
  • Options
    i'm sure if players are long-term injured while on international duty, international associations have to compensate the clubs.

I don't want to come across harsh on him individually, i'm sure he's a nice bloke. But if you worked in an office when someone was always off on long-term sick, popped in for one day and then went on long-term sick again, your patience would start to get frayed....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]i'm sure if players are long-term injured while on international duty, international associations have to compensate the clubs.

I don't want to come across harsh on him individually, i'm sure he's a nice bloke. But if you worked in an office when someone was always off on long-term sick, popped in for one day and then went on long-term sick again, your patience would start to get frayed....

Not if it meant you had more chance of getting a promotion or bonus. Not quite the same or saying that the players are all so cynical but if he's injured it means more chance for someone else.

It's a risk that all teams take every time they sign a player. Some times, like with Mendonca who had a long injury record which wasone reason we got him, it pays off. Other times it doesn't but Gibbs was fit when he came or at least fit enough to play international football for the US and be in the squad for the 2006 world cup.

Still not sure about the international payments. I thought some team tried to get it and failed. In Belgium perhaps?
  • Options
    He was a free transfer when he arrived and presumably insurance will cover some of his wages?
  • Options
    Did he have an injury record before he joined us? I don't think he did. I know he got injured playing for the USA against England in June 2005. Little known fact about the former Ivy League Player of the Year, is that he has been relegated four times in his short career. He definitely ran over a black cat somewhere!
  • Options
    I think one of his relegations was a technical thing - St Pauli broke some rules and were automatically relegated to the Regionaliga Nord from Bundesliga II.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Still not sure about the international payments. I thought some team tried to get it and failed. In Belgium perhaps?
    Didn't Newcastle manage to get something out of the FA for Owen's injury at the World Cup?
  • Options
    according to ssn he has broken 3 (yes three) metatarsals.

*sorry if this is worthy of a titanic
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]according to ssn he has broken 3 (yes three) metatarsals.

*sorry if this is worthy of a titanic

That boy doesn't believe in doing things by halves!

I don't know what others think but I really want him to play for us if he can ever get fit.

The footballing Gods have certainly been cruel to him.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Did he have an injury record before he joined us? I don't think he did. I know he got injured playing for the USA against England in June 2005. Little known fact about the former Ivy League Player of the Year, is that he has been relegated four times in his short career. He definitely ran over a black cat somewhere!

Is our relegation included in the four?

Harsh if so given that he was injured all season.
  • Options
    His boat looks gutted on the OS

maybe give him a song On Tuesday get behind the lad
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]His boat looks gutted on the OS

maybe give him a song On Tuesday get behind the lad

Your not gonna start all that singing lark are you...hope your not in the East Stand ;o)
  • Options
    ha ha

I know worth a try though no im North Upper

If i feel like a sleep ill go to the East LOL