Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Long Hot Summer circa '76

edited October 2007 in Not Sports Related
Just seen the prog on itv about the storm in '87 and remembered the scorcher we had in '76 that was unbearable.
Anyone else remember?

Comments

• Options
    only from the 29th May onwards........:-)
  • Options
    You're not old enough.....:-)
  • Options
    Yes remember it very well. Long summer holiday playing cricket in Avery Hill Park. Went to Lords on the Saturday V West Indies - It pissed down!
    Many forget that '75 was a very long hot one too. Also forgotten is that there was another storm almost a year to the day in 88. Not quite as ferocious but this one was where Gordon Kaye had his accident.
  • Options
    I remember the river in Dartford (the Darenth) dried up...
  • Options
    I was 10 i remember being on holiday in Hampshire,New Milton i think and it was bloody hot.
  • Options
    The Oval though was scorchio ... specially Sir Viv
  • Options
    It was the first year of my working life. Wall to wall sunshine from June until September. It was good year to be working in London :0 D
  • Options
    Twas a good year to be born
  • Options
    I went on a canal boating holiday
    oh dear!!!!

"Sorry sir the canal's closed above here due to lack of water." The boatyard advised

"Never mind, we don't care we were planning to go the other way"

"There are severe lock restrictions to conserve water". Came the reply

"We'll chance it".

It was a brilliant holiday. The weather was great. The water levels were incredibly low but it was our first canal boating holiday and as a family we just fell in love with it.

We went again the following year to the same area (north of Oxford on the Oxford Canal) when nature, as it often does, had made up for the lack of water the previous year by making it rain virtually non-stop from February onwards. The area surrounding the canal was flooded and it p*ssed down all week.
  • Options
    I spent 2 weeks in Cornwall during the 76 heatwave - hanging ten etc. Absolute heaven! As for the two hurricanes in 87 and 88 I slept through both of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was 3 so no
  • Options
    Remember jumping on a 96 every day to go to Dansom Park Lido, had a lorry tyre inner tube and had great fun.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Remember jumping on a 96 every day to go to Dansom Park Lido, had a lorry tyre inner tube and had great fun.

Those were the days when Health and Safety regulations didn't rule our lives. You could do a bomb off the top board at the likes of Danson or Charlton Lido and if someone just happened to be underneath at that point, that was their fault.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite][quoteThose were the days when Health and Safety regulations didn't rule our lives. You could do a bomb off the top board at the likes of Danson or Charlton Lido and if someone just happened to be underneath at that point, that was there fault, when they drowned.

A smidge harsh mate........
  • Options
    I was 7 remember it well

rations in the playground for water

Stand pipes in the streets

Sweaty pits LOL
  • Options
    And a plague of ladybirds that year...
  • Options
    yes LOL that as well

Herne Bay was smoothered when we went one Sunday
  • Options
    I remember that summer well. Had my finals that year but at least when I'd finished I could enjoy it. Played Cricket on Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays and often down the aforementioned Charlton Lido on some of the other days.

Wonderful!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]The Oval though was scorchio ... specially Sir Viv

Hold on a minute. 2007 - 27...
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Riscardo[/cite]The Oval though was scorchio ... specially Sir Viv

Hold on a minute. 2007 - 27...

He must have seen the videos ;O)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember it well, Hot sticky exam rooms as I took my CSE and O levels. Summer was good for me though as I played Cricket at the Oval for Croydon Schools. Shame we had to beat South London Schools in the final .
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Remember jumping on a 96 every day to go to Dansom Park Lido, had a lorry tyre inner tube and had great fun.

Those were the days when Health and Safety regulations didn't rule our lives. You could do a bomb off the top board at the likes of Danson or Charlton Lido and if someone just happened to be underneath at that point, that was their fault.

What happened to the lidos? People don't need the exercise anymore perhaps?
  • Options
    The lido is a thing of the past,plus we don't get the weather anymore, Exercise now takes place down the gym.
    I would rather go for a long walk than go down the gym.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]The lido is a thing of the past,plus we don't get the weather anymore.

So this global warming thing is happening on another planet?
  • Options
    Global warming is crap,it's alarmist and will probably exist just like the ice age never happened.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]Global warming is crap,it's alarmist and will probably exist just like the ice age never happened.

So you don't believe that global warming is real. Sorry but I fail to get the connection to the ice-age.
  • Options
    charlton lido is stil going,got a bit run down and facilities are quite poor,but it still opens for about 6 weeks in the summer and you do get a decent crowd on hot days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]charlton lido is stil going,got a bit run down and facilities are quite poor,but it still opens for about 6 weeks in the summer and you do get a decent crowd on hot days.

Glad to hear it.
  • Options
    My poor mother gave birth to me in July of that summer!

She's never forgiven me.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]only from the 29th May onwards........:-)

Well, AFKA, May 29 is my birthday too.
    Except I'm year or so older than you..... ;o)

It was the year The Who played their second and last gig at The Valley.

The summer of 76....the slogan was "Save water - bath with a friend".

Ruined cottages and churches that had been flooded when reservoirs were built gradually appeared as the waters went down before at the bottom, the crazed concrete like dried mud.

It never rained from April until September and on the first day when they finally made people get their water from standpipes, it pissed down.
    I remember seeing on TV news, queues of people standing bedraggled in the rain waiting their turn to fill containers.

It could only happen in Britain.