Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

matthew pinsent

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
descended from edward the 1st, like to know where i'm from?

Comments

• Options
    Eddie the eagle?????..;-)
  • Options
    possible
  • Options
    Saw that. Great end to a facinating series.

Done a bit of my family tree but would love the time to devout to doing it properly.
  • Options
    love to do it henry,my mums side had family going back into the british army from the late 18th century ive been told,and my dad says were related to the kings of ireland,every tree seems intresting on that show.
  • Options
    Me too Henry. Traced mine back to 1780, so far. I come from yeoman stock of Kent - we were smithy's and wheelwrights from the Ashford area. The church records I need to go back any further are in Canterbury Cathedral records archive. One day I will take myself off there for a day or so.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]love to do it henry,my mums side had family going back into the british army from the late 18th century ive been told,and my dad says were related to the kings of ireland,every tree seems intresting on that show.

Every one from Ireland is desended from the Kings of Ireland : - ) and since I'm part Irish that make us cousins.

You can do a lot on-line these days and if your family were in the Army then lots of miltary records to check.

Anyone see the Jeremy Paxman story. Dirt poor scottish family living on welfare. Single mother had two further kids out of wedlock, some one grassed on them and they cut all their money. Ah, the good old days.
  • Options
    My great uncle went through my Dad's side a few years back. Managed to go back quite a few generations but as they hailed from Wales with the surname, Lewis Williams, it proved difficult going through the old parish records accurately.

Turned out that they used to own the farmland that now forms Victoria Park.

We're (were) related to John Gielgued on my mum's side but don't know the exact details
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Me too Henry. Traced mine back to 1780, so far. I come from yeoman stock of Kent - we were smithy's and wheelwrights from the Ashford area. The church records I need to go back any further are in Canterbury Cathedral records archive. One day I will take myself off there for a day or so.

I used to respect you Bing and thought you talked a lot of sense but now I know you're common I'm not so sure ; - )

Thing is it is all interesting whether you come from some bird who had her head cut off for a bit of hanky panky like Pinsent or "ordinary" folk like most of us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    I used to respect you Bing and thought you talked a lot of sense but now I know you're common I'm not so sure ; - )

Thing is it is all interesting whether you come from some bird who had her head cut off for a bit of hanky panky like Pinsent or "ordinary" folk like most of us.

On the other hand Lord Lucan's family name is Bingham and also Diana Spencers family tree is sprinkled with Binghams as well so you never know.....:-) (Oh that and the Irish side of my family so I must be related to royalty somewhere along the line)
  • Options
    back to Pinsent, ever you want a good autobiography i can thoroughly recommend his.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    henry only certain irish names herald the kings of ireland tag mate!
  • Options
    would find sir steves more intresting,working class for a start.
  • Options
    traced mine back to Enniskillen were my great great Granddad was a leader of a Orange Lodge
  • Options
    Traced mine back to the East Terrace, where 4 generations of Charlton Athletic supporters used to stand.
  • Options
    nice one oggy
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Traced mine back to the East Terrace, where 4 generations of Charlton Athletic supporters used to stand.

Traced mine back to digging out the Valley in 1919. My great uncle Bob Sims. You can keep you Kings and Queens : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]henry only certain irish names herald the kings of ireland tag mate!

From Wikipedia.

"Because the native Irish high kingship never adopted any set of rules for succession, be they based on primogeniture or any other system, there can be no realistic pretender to an Irish 'throne', and modern claims cannot be taken seriously. Alternatively, given the great number of Irish kings in the early middle ages, it is scarcely possible to believe that there is one person of Irish descent today who does not also have kingly blood -- given the lack of rules of succession and the contrived genealogies of the time, all Irish males might lay claim to a kingship of one sort or another!"

Sorry, but we are all kings and queens.
  • Options
    By six degrees of separation we are all related.

Allegedly my maternal family tree includes Thomas Hardy, not the novelist but Captain of HSS Victory, kiss me Hardy and all that. Who knows...

On my grandfather's side I'm part Maltese, hence Malta are my second international team.
  • Options
    We've gone back to 1750s on my Dad's side - all poor labourers and fishermen in rural Scotland - amazing the change in lifestyle in just a couple of generations since my grandad, who was a miner and shop steward in 1926 general strike and had to steal a sheep (still technically a capital offence in those days) to feed his family.

Mr Weegie's is fascinating - esp on his Mum's side. Traced back from Irish upper class to a shipping merchant who arrived in Liverpool in 1700s from Venice, and who was reputedly connected the the Venier family - one of the great noble families of Venice who in turn claim they are descended from Roman Emperors! When we went to Venice for a few days a couple of years ago, Mr W kept referring to the Doge's Palace as great, great, great, great grandaddy's house! There were three Venier doges and pictures of them everywhere.
  • Options
    I don't think I want to know about my family going too far back - the current crop is enough for me!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]traced mine back to Enniskillen were my great great Granddad was a leader of a Orange Lodge

Dont tell Gump or he'll start stalking you
  • Options
    Pinsent & Redgrave came along to the Indoor Cricket and football centre I used to co own. They were on a question and answer tour organised by their sponsors Canada Life. I've got a 1996 Olympic games T shirt framed on my office wall signed by the pair of them and a photo with them presenting it to me. I'm 6'1 tall and I look like a midget next to them.

To be honest they were both a bit miserable on the night but I put that down to the tedium of the tour and to be honest the inane questions they were being asked by the audience. Still at least I got to meet them both.