Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

In the cold light of day.......

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Its desperately disappointing, but the initial reaction is over the top.

We lost a game we could easily of won at a canter. It happens, it was one of those nights and things clearly weren't going for us. But you've got to deal with it and move on. Otherwise i can't see what enjoyment you're gonna get out of going at all. Todorov going off badly effected us tonight, he was the link that would of tied everything in offensively, and i felt would of become more important as the game wore on.

Everyone of us can see the centre half pairing is not working. If we can all see it, so can Pards. A sound defensive base is essential in this division if you want to get out of it, and we haven't got it at the moment. We desperately need a striker to start shining quickly as well.

But elsewhere, its pretty sound. I don't think Pards, like the rest of us, has a clue what his best 11 would be if everyone was fit, but he's gonna have to start finding it pretty soon.

We are not an easy crowd to play in front of at the moment, you would think we're in the bottom six, not top six, and i really don't think its helping things. Some players really need to stand up and be counted, but constantly knocking them isn't going to improve the situation, only make it worse. You always knew down at Millwall that if an away team could do a job on them in the first 1/2hr, the fans would start turning on them.

We're starting to do the same.

Comments

• Options
    Well said, agreed
  • Options
    trust you to put a calmin view while we are losing our heads.
  • Options
    we should be top six,its the championship and we have spent money and have kept some prem players,nothing less than winning the playoffs would be shit.
  • Options
    i don't think the charlton fans there tonight turned on the team and obviously it's just light hearted banter on here cos if you can't laugh at some of the stuff seen out there tonight you'll only end up crying
  • Options
    oohaah, people started booing around me from the 7th minute.

And i don't just mean a couple of them....
  • Options
    we drew with barnsley "we drew a game we should've won so easily"

we lost at wolves "we lost a game we could've been 3-0 up before half time in"

we lost against plymouth "we lost a game we should've won at a canter"

ONE point, in nine games!

should've would've could've's mean nothing in football

we have to make sure these players get a kick up the arse, the longer we tell them it will all come right eventually the more games we'll play that turn out like the above three

are we ever going to have a game this season that we DESERVED not to get anything out of at this rate?

i'm not overreacting, we should still make the play-offs at least and i believe this is a blip but why can't we just admit we aren't doing it right now and not clutch at straws
  • Options
    Why the hell did Pardew play 4-3-3 and then not switch to 4-4-2 when Tod got injured?

Put Varney alongside Iwellumo and Jerome on the wing?

As much as we're all taking the pish, McLeod is totally woeful.

All any team has to do is continually press us.

We haven't even played West Brom or Watford yet.
  • Options
    i was in North West Quad and i honestly didn't hear any booing directed at the players , so hopefully it didn't spill on to the pitch and obviously the boos and jeers at half time and the end were aimed (i hope) at the ref cos we always like to blame someone other than ourselves for a bad result
    but 7 mins in is ridiculous , mcClown wasn't even on the pitch by then!!
  • Options
    we have 6 points more than Sunderland did after the same number of games last season - the only thing that puzzles me is how the hell Watford are doing so well

they were pony last season & they brought in just 3 players in the close season - none of whom started tonight - it says something about keeping on a manager for the long run rather than the hire 'em, fire 'em attitude of the likes of Jordan
  • Options
    You're going to have dodgy runs, happens to everyone, deal with it, especially if you're in Sheffield, then deal with it being stuck in Sheffield.

*watches Isaw fume*
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite] but why can't we just admit we aren't doing it right now and not clutch at straws

i don't think anyone is mate. I'm certainly not.

We're going through an iffy spell, no doubt about it. But every club does at some point, and its arresting it quickly and how you come out the other side that's important. We're not at the moment, but i still believe we are not far off being head and shoulders above most in this league, so i'm going to be patient and give it a bit of time.

Because i can easily see us going on a run of something like 8 wins and 2 draws in ten games, and then things will look very different indeed.
  • Options
    smudge i love your optimism,do you think if i sat next to you I would be a calm and postive like you.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]You're going to have dodgy runs, happens to everyone, deal with it, especially if you're in Sheffield, then deal with it being stuck in Sheffield.

*watches Isaw fume*

haha i'm not giving you the satisfaction pal! you coming preston? For some reason a 2-1 home defeat to Plymouth has really got me itching to get to another game ASAP (if only to shout and holler at some of those eijits in person)

really hope Pardew wipes the floor with them before QPR we need to shake this off, and fast, or by the time we discover we are head and shoulders above the vast majority, we'll need to be to make amends!
  • Options
    There's too many players at the moment who can't raise their game when you need to show a bit of resilience, drive and guile.

Sticking Reid out on the left just doesn't work. Pardoo seems very confused all round at the moment.
  • Options
    lol, I'm not positive though. I'm concerned. You know i never bought the hero worshipping of Super Al, but its still far to early to go heavy on the abuse front, it will only make it an even harder bridge to cross.

I just thought it was 'one of those nights'.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    the problem is we've had "one of those days" in all of the last 3 games
  • Options
    Bottom line, we were shite and got what we deserved, f*ck all.

The two centre backs were 'kin clowns and the front line were were totally inept.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]we've had "one of those days" in all of the last 3 games

and it happens, happened to West Brom in the last few weeks, it's happening to us now, just need to knuckle down and get over it.

and I'm not tempted by a cold evening in Preston, over my comfy sofa!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite] You know i never bought the hero worshipping of Super Al
    correct cos he fancies himself a bit much and we are a stepping stone to him but he is the best man available for the job at the moment until november 1st when paul jewell becomes available for management;-)
  • Options
    spot on Leaburn.

i posted on here after saturday's game and got shot dow in flames that we were "unlucky to lose" and "that was a tough away fixture - just you wait until we play at home"

still cocky now eh lads ?

At the moment we are pony. There are only a handful of players who can hold their heads up tonight (Reid, Mills, Thomas) and pardew has somehow got to find his main 11 and stick with it. None of our strikers could hit a barn door with a banjo and we are trying to walk the ball into the net at times.

5 points off par and counting.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: golfaddick[/cite]spot on Leaburn.

i posted on here after saturday's game and got shot dow in flames that we were "unlucky to lose" and "that was a tough away fixture - just you wait until we play at home"

still cocky now eh lads ?

At the moment we are pony. There are only a handful of players who can hold their heads up tonight (Reid, Mills, Thomas) and pardew has somehow got to find his main 11 and stick with it. None of our strikers could hit a barn door with a banjo and we are trying to walk the ball into the net at times.

5 points off par and counting.

Not cocky at all, fully buying into your thought processes, and expect us to be slogging it out with the dead men in the bottom 3 by the end of November, and relegated by early March.

The problem is Golfy, is that you don't post when we're doing well, the posts were few and very far between when we went 8 unbeaten, yet 2 defeats and you're all over the site like some smug know it all.
  • Options
    This season still pisses all over the previous 3 1/2 for me.
    I'd rather lose to a team like Plymouth when we could have won than be humilated by Spurs with Defoe scoring his usual goal......
  • Options
    be fair rothko, i think we might hold out til the last few games like last season, and i think we might be out of the bottom 3 over christmas (a good omen or what?)
  • Options
    I'm narked that we lost, but I still enjoyed tonight's game more than most of the games we played last season, and the one before that as well
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]be fair rothko, i think we might hold out til the last few games like last season, and i think we might be out of the bottom 3 over christmas (a good omen or what?)

You think? Golfie knows it all, we're going down, and we won't score another goal
  • Options
    is that an official stance rothko? I might watch the Preston game on the box now eh...
  • Options
    The Germans have a word for Golfies approach: Zweckpessimismus, or “calculated pessimism”.

If he can grind a few more of us down.

I just get the feeling the Golfie resents being a Charlton supporter, and want to take it out on everyone else
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Rothko you make valid points but are as boringly smug as Golfie is negative.

Lighten up a little.

Or even a lot.

Lovin your German phrases though.
  • Options
    If you accept the premise that every team has a blip during the season now is as good a time as any to have ours.

I hope and pray Toddy isn't too badly hurt. Izale doesn't appear quite up to this level. Varney wasn't great tonight but he was playing out wide which isn't his best position.

At least Sam will be available for Saturday.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]Rothko you make valid points but are as boringly smug as Golfie is negative.

Lighten up a little.

Or even a lot.

I'm as light as a feather, but where have I been smug? A touch arsey and churlish I'll give you though