Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

4-5-1?

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
With Toddy out for a while and McLeod and to a lesser extent Varney looking inadequate how about it?

Discuss

Comments

• Options
    See my other post.

Dont care who plays up front but I would start with that formation Saturday but definitely for the 2 tricky away games.

Weaver

Mills
    Moo2
    Sodje
    Fortune

Reid
    Sam
    Zheng
    Thomas
    Semdo

Varney/Iwelumo

Play to your strenghts, ours is our midfield.
  • Options
    Don't know about it. To me we're already starting to look like the team that pumps up the ball to tall striker (iwelumo) and see where it goes from there. The times we played on the floor last night from the back to the front we were far more likely to score.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stoneroses19[/cite]Don't know about it. To me we're already starting to look like the team that pumps up the ball to tall striker (iwelumo) and see where it goes from there. The times we played on the floor last night from the back to the front we were far more likely to score.

The extra man in the middle may give us more of an outlet so the back 4 don't need to resort to just lumping it forward to Big Chris. Although to be honest I think that is more to do with the players than it is the formation.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stoneroses19[/cite]Don't know about it. To me we're already starting to look like the team that pumps up the ball to tall striker (iwelumo) and see where it goes from there. The times we played on the floor last night from the back to the front we were far more likely to score.

exactly what I was saying last night.....it's fine pumping the ball up to the big bloke and feeding off his flicks and knockdowns....but there have to be some first and he didn't win a single thing and we have become all to predictable.
  • Options
    Surely, with the players we've got, our strength is our ability on the floor.
    Ironically, it's Iwelumo's strength too.

He's not always so commanding in the air for a such a big bloke, and seems much happier with the ball at his feet.

Either that or bring back Bartlett........(!)
  • Options
    would drop semedo into centre half,reid and zz in the middle with thomas and sam out wide,big chris and varney or is it time to risk dickson,can't be worse than what we saw last night.
  • Options
    If we are going to a lone striker and given the injuries
    I'd play 4-1-3-1-1

Mills Sodje Fortune Semedo
    Racon
    Sam ZZ Thomas
    Reid
    Varney

I want Reidy to have a free role but not as deep as he often plays. Big Chris has been pretty good when the ball has been played into feet but he doesn't have much pace and I just think Varney would give a better option and encourage them not just to lump it high. Bringing Big Chris on as an impact player may then work, or McLeod against tired legs.

I also think that we need to stretch play more than we have. Last night, (and against Wolves), especially as the second half went on it looked like Plymouth and Wolves had plenty in the tank.
  • Options
    Reid is definitely at his best as an attacking central force so agreed there and I want Thomas + ZZ too - but no Iwelumo! I have not been impressed by Varney. Just a thought but what about Danny Mills in the middle somewhere.

So how about 4-5-1 with Reid and Sam who have an eye for goal?