Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

D Fence

ScoSco
edited October 2007 in General Charlton
A number of player's names are being mooted as not doing the business for us at the moment and I would like to throw in Mr "D Fence" as another candidate for scapegoating.

If we are struggling going forward, we will need to grind out results. I think that we can take Premier League players on loan and would like to make a suggestion of Ian Pearce of Fulham. He has been a bit injury prone (don't know of that is the case at the moment) and hasn't featured much for Fulham this term, but seems to step up well for the cause when called upon. He may well bring some leadership to our game. I appreciate he may not be the quickest. Just a suggestion, others welcome.

Comments

• Options
    Do we have the answer at the club already, wasn't Semedo bought in as a centre half?
  • Options
    Martin Taylor of Birmingham (coming back from injury) could be another option. Went up with them last season and might be available for a few month's loan.

I don't have a problem with what we have as choices to fill the rest of our positions (current left back situation asides) except I don't see where in our squad a solid, dependable leader in the centre of defence is hiding. Mills is an option, but it would take away a lot of the other stuff he offers us at full back and how long he could handle the more restrictive role I don't know.
  • Options
    Is Riggot playing regularly at Boro?
  • Options
    there hasn't been many teams who have ripped us apart with pace has there? I'd be quite happy for a big lump that can do the basics properly.
  • Options
    All our problems start from central defence - we simply do not have a pairing to dominate the game. (And Semedo is not the answer - he can't head it either!) Earlier in the season the forwards were doing the business and taking the pressure off. Recently the defence has been so poor that it's rubbed off on confidence in the midfield and forwards - yes, I am even blaming them for McClown to some extent!

And why do we never score from our own corners? The delivery of the ball by Reid (and sometimes Sam) can be pretty useful some of the time, but it always seems to get cleared really easily. Look at the teams which do score a lot from corners - it's usually their centre halves creating the pressure - either getting on the end of it themselves or taking the opposition defence away to make space for the strikers.

Sort out central defence or else, Pards!!