Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Player Ratings

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Not done this for a long time, and only based on watching it on the TV.......

Weaver 6 - why did he not protest that obvious foul on him more?
Mills 5 - tried hard but given a torrid time by Vine
Basey 6 - impressive at times but also exposed once or twice, decent debut
Fortune 5 - Mr. Casual as ever, one of the reasons we won't progress - get rid
Sodje 7 - thought he did ok, suprisingly small for a CB
Semedo 6 - quiet but why was he taken off? big tactical error if he wasn't injured
Reid 7 - not at his best but never stopped trying, looked like he cared
Sam 6 - again no lack of effort but distinct lack of quality
ZZ 5 - burst through twice but otherwise non existent
Varney 4 - reminds me of JJ at his ineffective best
Iwelumo 4 - slow & uninspiring

Thomas 2 - looked like his mind was on the forthcoming night's clubbing, what a waste
McCleod ? - did he touch the ball?
Racon - no time to do anything

Overall thought we were Ok first half but the decision to replace Semedo with Thomas gave QPR the impetus as we were effectively down to 10 men. Much to much reliance on the long ball to Iwelumo who was bossed all day by the QPR defence. Reid & Sam tried to provide the spark but they were let down by team mates who didn't seem to be on teh same wavelength. In the longer term if we overcome this blip I wonder whether there is anywhere near the quality in this squad to survive in the Premiership - this is why I guess the club are desperate for investment becuase based on the above line up I reckon only Reidy has Premiership class.

Comments

• Options
    If we did get promoted, I think Pards would definately bolster the squad a bit. I agree, some of our squad are not premier league quality, but as we stand, we need to get our season back on track before we worry about the premier league.

I think Weaver gets a 7 for his great saves.
  • Options
    I just wrote a long response, only for my computer to screw up!

So the precis. Mostly agree with Oakster, no panic yet, must do and can do better.
  • Options
    I thought Sodje put in a solid day's work.

Dominant in the air (someone at last!), good covering of team mates and played with determination and purpose.
    Got forward when he could - and desperately unlucky with that powerful 1st half header that clipped the bar.
  • Options
    Just got back and it was very dissapointing, we are going to struggle to win games with the current crop of forwards, we need Earnshaw maybe....someone mentioned Roberts on loan from Blackburn....regardless, what we've got isn't good enough at the moment and not sure if they will be.

Weaver 7 - made some good saves
    Mills 5 - plenty of effort didn't look as good coming forward
    Basey 6 - good one for the future
    Fortune 5 - agree way to casual not decisive enough
    Sodje 7 - great in the air distribution a bi iffy.
    Semedo 6 - looked solid
    Reid 7 - centre of most things
    Sam 7 - looked our most dangerous player by a long shot
    ZZ 6 - quality on the ball wish we didn't keep banging it over his head
    Varney 4 - poor game lacks confidence might not make the step up
    Iwelumo 5 - tried hard but didn't wim many headers looked clumsy in and around the box

Thomas 2 - get rid send him to Wigan with Big Bent
    McCleod 2 - he's a way off being up to this level no first touch
    Racon - didn't have time
  • Options
    must've just been me but i thought Thomas' attitude was alright when he came on ! had a couple of blocked shots and seemed to me to be trying.
  • Options
    Thomas has so much ability I guess that's why I get so frustrated with him, he should be tearing teams like this apart....bad attitude...show pony!
  • Options
    Three problems today with Thomas:

1) Starved of the ball while everything was fed through an offcolour Reid.

2) When he finally did receive a pass, he would be quickly closed down but still persisted in going down a blind alley, before losing posession.

3) Never got into dangerous areas - never saw him cut into the box and run at players and induce panic in defenders - or anywhere near the byeline and penetrate BEHIND their defence.

Thomas' job surely is to unhinge and open up defences.

Well, he won't do that if he doesn't see the ball.
    And he won't do that if he never gets into dangerous areas.