Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

To all those so called fans who wanted us in the Championship...

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
...cos the footballs more passionate, well done, good shout that one!!!!

Comments

• Options
    this is all curbs fault.
  • Options
    It's not the Championship that's the problem it's us. Lots of passion from QPR and Plymouth over the last week from both players and fans, we just need to match it and not think we've got a divine right to win games. I think the Championship is more passionate, we need to adjust to it.
  • Options
    Look how the Argyle and QPR supporters got behind their team.

Just silence from the Charlton, punctuated by abuse aimed at individual players.
    And a volley of booing at the end.

And we call that supporting our team......???
  • Options
    We look good enough to stay up (mind you, QPR beating us knocks that theory) but nowhere near good enough to go up. As I posted on another Charlton website at the beginning of the season, how many of this team would you seriously want in the Premiership if we did go up? 2? 3?
  • Options
    Problem is us players and fans

every other feckers plays and gets behind there team
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: leftbehind[/cite]Problem is us players and fans

every other feckers plays and gets behind there team

Exactly.

Nobody is playing badly on purpose. It's a question of lack of confidence and anxiety.
    When are going to lift our boys?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Look how the Argyle and QPR supporters got behind their team.

Just silence from the Charlton, punctuated by abuse aimed at individual players.
    And a volley of booing at the end.

And we call that supporting our team......???

HERE HERE!
  • Options
    so who lifts me?
  • Options
    It's the individuals choice to sit mute, slag off players or get right behind their team.

Plymouth Argyle and QPR supporters had the same choice.

Who lifted them?
  • Options
    I'd still rather be where we are than cannon fodder for Man Utd, Chelsea etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry Oggy,but with all due respect you weren't at either game,if you were you may well have found it hard.I was with many around me singin our hearts out in first half while the famous Northstandultras were mute.
  • Options
    Also away fans always give more vocal support regardless of score.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]Also away fans always give more vocal support regardless of score.

Like us lot at wolves last week........
  • Options
    Imagine us taking 2,000 to QPR these days......
  • Options
    I'm sorry too, NS Steve. I'm not having a dig at you personally - just speaking generally, trying to draw the difference
    between fans who get behind and lift their team and help them towards a win, as opposed to the attitude we seem to have that we don't get behind the team unless they are all ready winning and playing like world beaters.

Until recent seasons, Charlton fans used to play their part in lifting the team even when things weren't going well.
    That's how we used to get some famous results.

You'll remember 3-1 down against Man Utd with 5 minutes left and hitting the post after Robbo had made it 3-3. The fans were behind the team regardless, whether we were winning or losing.

It was Fortress Valley in those days. The fans played as big a part as the team. It was a hostile Valley for teams to come to and we often clawed out a result when the chips were down.

Now it's a hostile Valley against our own team.
  • Options
    Me too Oggy,not havin a dig at you either,but in my opinion the expectation levels in those days were a lot lower so when we saw the players gettin stuck in and havin a go against the odds it spurred us the fans on.The ball is on the other foot now we are one of the so called bigger teams and opposing fans scream like hell when they see their boys gettin stuck in to us.We need a few more players who wear their heart on their sleeve to encourage us.I have never felt comfortable this season apart from Leicester at home.2-0 to sheff wed and shockin.Beat a poor palace team,beat norwich due to 2 pens in last 5 mins.Personally this have been comin for some time.And I am extremely worried for the long term future of the club should the takeover not materialise.
  • Options
    Bang on, Oggy Red. I ended up losing my rag with the old git behind me for his constant moaning today.
  • Options
    but we're all frustrated,at the moment I'm not gettin a lot of encouragement from Pards,he hasn't addressed the problems in defence and they are really hurtin us now.He drops Magic which I whole heartedly agree with,but what was Fortune's challenge for the pen all about.
  • Options
    what puzzles me is why our team seem to have been so lacklustre recently, most of them except perhaps mills bizzarely, walk around like they've been out on this piss half the night..
  • Options
    I agree with you NS Steve, that the expectation levels are so high - we expect to turn up, trounce the opposition 5-0 and get home to see the league table with us on top, 10 points clear.

Anything less - and many fans turn against the team.

But players are only human, and they have the same anxieties and frailties as the rest of us.
    Fans boo a player, he hears the ridicule and abuse - and so he tries harder but overhits the ball.
    He hears more abuse - do people really think that abuse makes a footballer (or anyone) perform better.

When the Argyle keeper knocked the ball in his own net, you didn't hear a volley of abuse.
    But you did hear 1200 Plymouth fans singing their keepers name to lift him - and he went on to make great saves that helped earn them what they consider a famous win.

And deathly silence where you can hear players calling for the ball doesn't help the atmosphere, either.
    As you say, I wasn't at the game today - I couldn't get there in time because of the early kick off.

But I've had lots of calls from friends while they were at the match and I saw it live, so i've a fair idea of what happened today.

And I certainly agree with you that we need a few more players who wear their heart on their sleeve.
    It would help us claw out a result in adversity.

And maybe help change the mindset of some fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    would it be unfair to say a lot of our fans seem to be of lets say advanced years?Any way im gutted a bit down and dont want to say things i may regret and bearing in mind what happened to young boat this week,need to put things in prespective.Respect to you all.
  • Options
    Cheers, mate.
  • Options
    It's all Curbs fault and Kish!
  • Options
    as people say be careful what you wish for.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]as people say be careful what you wish for.

Too right!
  • Options
    tell you what I am close to requesting a move from where I have just moved too - the people around me are driving me mad don't stop fecking moaning - we could be 4-0 after 10 minutes and this mob would find fault.

therein lies some of the problem we are just not getting behind the team.
  • Options
    where do u sit?
  • Options
    Quite simply, our fans generally are SHIT.

That's not an opinion - it's fact. There's loads of reasons WHY (singers in upper, overpaid players who don't care that much, plastic supporters), but that's just the way it is.

And of course that will affect the whole team - it's actually worse than playing away, apart from the other team's supportes raising the stakes, the worst bit is that dealthy quiet, where you can hear everything on the pitch, and everyone sigh as one at a stray pass, and start giving abuse etc.

Horrible, not even fun.

:-(
  • Options
    So why, in the space of about 5 seasons has our support changed from being a vital cog in the team's performance,
    to now being so destructive?

Where's the support that was reverberating around the ground singing VFR - when we were losing to Spurs at the end of last season?

Where's that famous' Valley Roar' ?
    The drum, such a massive element in rousing the crowd for 10 years, is badly missed.

Perhaps other fans jibes, "You only sing when you're winning" is what we are all about now?
  • Options
    Don't think we can use the support at the end of that Spurs game as a comparison - it may have showed that the 'passion' was there, but more reflected the circumstances of our confirmed relegation.

I seem to remember that Pardew commented when he joined that he'd previously found us to be quite quiet.
    This is not a new situation, but is compounded by the fact that we're expecting better results from the team this year than in previous seasons.

Personally, I don't think fans have become particularly hostile towards the team or get on players' backs that much in large numbers - and not so that they'd really pick up on it - but it's more that there are longer periods of quiet, waiting for something to happen.

For all the noise that those in the North Stand believe they generate, the reality (as I think Peakey's Rocket pointed out elsewhere) is that in the other home stands it often doesn't come across as being that loud.
    That is not a dig at anyone, just an observation. I sit in the East - so know a fair bit about the general silence! - and there are those in the stand who will follow the North's lead in singing, and will also try to start things themselves.

However, the opposition supporters grouped behind a goal in a one-level standard and a lowish roof will inevitably make a fair bit of noise - especially this year if they haven't been to our ground for a while and want to take points off our team of 'promotion favourites'.