Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Atmosphere

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
Cr@p Tuesday and today. Lots of moaning, very little getting behind the team.

TBH I think a lot of it is having no drummer. We've had a drummer for 10 years, fans have got lazy and expected the drummer to create atmosphere. Take him away (can't blame him wanting to pack it in), and the atmosphere goes.

Whilst the football has been awful, so have the fans.

Comments

• Options
    "your support is fking shit" oh the irony.
  • Options
    Normally sit in the North Upper, but for the recent Barnsley game I sat in the West Stand. Never realised how little noise the North Stand generates, they were completely out-sung by a couple of hundred Barnsley fans throughout the game.
  • Options
    shouldn't the players do thir part as well,very hard to get goin when the players show so little passion.
  • Options
    It's Chicken and Egg......
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Too many moan and are impatient. I can understand why but it's counter productive.

I tried to get some singing going and the guy along from me who's a genuine longstanding fan, said don't sing for them boo and let them know it's unacceptable. That seemed to be the consensus although I stand by my view that encouragement beats destructive (as opposed to constructive) criticism every time.
  • Options
    Atmosphere ? What atmosphere ??

As Gumbo said in the pub, its come to something when we're reliant on a flaming drummer to give us a beat....
  • Options
    It came across badly on telly - first half could only hear the QPR fans. Not a single VFR till half way through second. Yet first half we were on top on the pitch.
  • Options
    Today was the first game that finances have allowed me to get along to in a month or so, and the difference in atmosphere from then and now is shocking.I know the team are playing badly, but we were hardly setting the world on fire at the start of the season and the atmosphere was still fairly good.
  • Options
    The scouts report to clubs coming to the Valley reads like this at the moment.

"Don't let em score in the first 2 minutes, cause if you do, the crowd will turn on them in a big big way"

The Valley is the White Hart Lane of the Championship.
  • Options
    touche rothko touche - as we discussed before the game today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    so what positives did u think there were today chaps?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]touche rothko touche - as we discussed before the game today.

Exactly mate, 3 games ago this team were Championship beaters, now they are regarded by a lot of supporters as a bunch of front bottoms.

It's silly, and the Valley must be a horrible place to be a Charlton player at the moment.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    none
  • Options
    Basey, Sam, Weaver and the curry I've just had.
  • Options
    So can one of you boo boys explain what the benefit is of moaning and getting on the teams back within 10 minutes of the kick off?
  • Options
    i didn't hear anybody gettin on peoples back in first 30 mins.
  • Options
    People were on the players back in the first 10 minutes in J block, and it got worse and worse.
  • Options
    Bit like the team.....

Chill out, I think we'll stay up.
  • Options
    couldnt understand the negativity in the first half, we were playing giid football and bar the free kick they didnt cause too many problems.

we created plenty and hit the bar yet because we tried to play it about and wait for the gap people got in the players backs. those calling for us toget on with it got the quality of football they deserved in the second half, namely aimless hoofs up to iwelumo.
  • Options
    better class of person in M block we give it at least 11 minutes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bring in late teenager cheerleaders before and at halftime !!!!!
  • Options
    Has anyone mentioned the fact that the crap kick off time and lack of alcohol consumed could have added to this crap atmosphere.
    Must double up on someone elses comments, having sat everywhere in the ground we are not as loud as we think we are and havent been since the north stand was completed.
  • Options
    Yes, to watch Charlton you need at least 5 pints.

Thought Rangers's 'we are the rangers boys' was very camp.
  • Options
    we are clearly floundering at the moment. but i am convinced we are too good to go down.
  • Options
    I don't think the booing is the problem. As I mentioned before the atmosphere against Barnsley was rubbish and their small number of fans made all the noise for most of the game. Remember that we were on a good run of results and sitting 2nd in the table at that point, so it wasn't as if fans were on the teams back during the game. The only time when we did actually start making an atmosphere was after we scored, so it seems fans need something to happen on the pitch before they get behind the team. Most other teams fans appear to be the opposite, getting behind their team from the start to try and help make something happen.

The last few home games I think the team is getting more nervous the longer they go without scoring because they can sense the fans unease, where as the away team get more confident when all they can hear is their own support.

Although I think everyone was right to boo yesterday as the performance was rubbish, I also think the fans played their part by making the ground a very easy place for away teams to come to. Maybe its a hangover from the premiership with a lot of fans expecting us to beat every team we play this season with ease.
  • Options
    yep,but when you try to start a song the old gits look at you in bewilderment.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Peakie_Rocket[/cite]
    I also think the fans played their part by making the ground a very easy place for away teams to come to.

Bang on. The Valley has become a hostile and anxiety ridden place for Charlton to play.

It's a huge advantage to opponents.

Why do we sabotage our own team?
  • Options
    maybe the johnny come latelys think we have a devine right to win games
  • Options
    what's new our home support has always been lethargic at best, we've never been a passionate crowd (ok ipswich in the play-offs, once!)
    and you are looked at as an oddball if you sing!
    still the crowds will fall down now we're gonna be establishing ourselves in the lower leagues so we shoud get left with 10k of passionate fans within the next few years!