Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The right formation for this team...

Without trying to repeat what I posted last week, I think it might be rethink time for Mr Pardew.

What I would like to see at Southampton, is a much tighter, organised unit.

Peanuts Molloy summed up my opinion on Andy Reid on another post. Fair play to him for wanting the ball, we need players that arent going to hide, but only if he is getting the ball in the right areas to hurt the opposition. Giving him the ball 30 yards from our goalline is pointless.

Taking Semedo off was a mistake only because our captain cannot play in the middle in a 4-4-2 formation. He just hasnt got the legs, or the defensive game. However, I still think he is at his most dangerous, when he dictates play from the middle.

Our midfield was overrun today, especially in the second half, and because there wasnt the option of a pass, we had to, and usually did go long.

I reckon start with a 5 man midfield of Sam, Zheng, Reid, Semedo and Thomas with Semedo doing a proper holding job, and Reid playing as an attacking central midfielder where he is most dangerous. The two wide players have enough pace about them to turn that system into a 4-3-3 but it also means the back four have a bit more protection. Two tough away games coming up, Pardew needs to change something cos we have been totally sussed lately.

I honestly dont know who I would put up front next week. Probably Iwelumo for his height at set pieces, but how many headers is he actually winning? If he plays Varney, someone has got to have a word with him about staying onside.

It still baffles me why Pardew didnt keep the same formation after our best result of the season (Palace).

Comments

• Agree on 4-5-1. On paper we've got a great midfield who haven't clicked recently and a 4th division strike force who are playing to type. The fewer of our 'strikers' who get anywhere near the first team the better.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Southendaddick[/cite]
    I reckon start with a 5 man midfield of Sam, Zheng, Reid, Semedo and Thomas with Semedo doing a proper holding job, and Reid playing as an attacking central midfielder where he is most dangerous. The two wide players have enough pace about them to turn that system into a 4-3-3 but it also means the back four have a bit more protection. Two tough away games coming up, Pardew needs to change something cos we have been totally sussed lately.[/quote]
    I agree. Especially away from home and with strikers misfiring. Sam looks as dangerous a threat as we've got and 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 should at least maximise his opportunities and it may bring out the best in JT.
  • agreed 4-5-1 for next 2 games but who for the 1?
  • Big Chris I think as the wingers and forward-running midfield can play off him. Varney's more a channel runner and Izzy.......can we have our money back please?
  • I'd go for Varney personally, simply because we'd be hoofing it up to Chris all the time and the ball would be coming straight back. With Varney we'd have to look for ball to feet more.

I'd like to try a Semedo Sodje partnership at the back, Fortune doesn't cut it and his casual approach is really irritating.

-------------------Weaver--------------------
    Yassin-------Sodje------Semedo------Mills (Basey did ok but not for away games)

Sam--------Zheng--------Racon------Thomas
    ---------------------Reid-----------------------

--------------------Varney---------------------
  • Do you think Semedo's good enough in the air?
  • good point,what I said yesterday,is that I would like to see him as a sweeper,what about 3 centre backs,Mills Sodje plus one other with Semedo sweeping.
  • true he's not great but i wouldn't say Fortune,Bougherra or McCarthy are either. Just think Semedo might add a more controlled feel about the back four as he seems to have much more of a brain than the other centre backs mentioned.
  • I think rather than use a completely new (for them anyway) system a return to the system which has suited us previously, as Southendaddick says, is the best bet. I'd keep Semedo where he's shown his worth, anchoring the midfield in front of Sodje and Fortune/Magic.
    I take the point about lumping it up to Big Chris (God, it's the Leaburn effect all over again!). Don't know whether Varney can play the lone-striker role. Got to be worth a go either way though and look to wingers and ZZ or Reid to make more runs into the box. For what its worth I think we really missed Sam during his suspension and while we had a balanced midfield in the first half yesterday he looked very good.
  • i don't really want to take Semedo out of midfield either as it showed yesterday he's missed when he's not there, its just our centre backs are shocking! and the defence really should be the first area we look to shore up which is why he might help. to be honest as long as we change formation to either 5-4-1 or 4-5-1 i'm not that bothered who plays where, we just need to tighten up badly.
  • Sponsored links:

• the problem with the formationis the two wide midfielders are too attacking and offer no support deep eg Sam yesterday not tracking back for the attack that led to the penalty

we need newton, robinson, mortimer type players
  • spot on Ken,they had a bit of fight in them.
  • To be fair to Sam, that was a very quick breakaway that led to the penalty - Sam was way forward in an attacking position when QPR intercepted and hoofed the ball forward.

It was Fortune that was exposed - and that was because, in the absence of Semedo, there was no midfielder protecting in front of the centre backs.

Sam did manage to get himself booked late on, after tracking back.
  • [cite]Posted By: Talal_El_Willscorie[/cite]I'd go for Varney personally, simply because we'd be hoofing it up to Chris all the time and the ball would be coming straight back. With Varney we'd have to look for ball to feet more.

I'd like to try a Semedo Sodje partnership at the back, Fortune doesn't cut it and his casual approach is really irritating.

Weaver
    Yassin
    Sodje
    Semedo
    Mills (Basey did ok but not for away games)

Sam
    Zheng
    Racon
    Thomas
    Reid

Varney

Sodje and Semedo at the back - spot on!
    No Iwelumo - right again! Nothing against him really but please keep the ball on the floor. We should be using him as a change of tactic not as our main and only.
    I'd keep Basey in. There's no reason why he can't cut it.
    Why not:
    Weaver
    Mills
    Sodje
    Semedo
    Basey
    Sam
    Zheng
    Racon
    Thomas
    Reid

Varney
    [/
  • why ZZ. Give Harry Arter a game. ZZ isn't suited to the Championship.
  • we played 3-5-2 in the first half yesterday and yet still punted the ball over the top. When we went 4-4-2 in the second half we took off the wrong player, we needed Semdo to be that ball winner and ball holder that he has developed into (remember he was supposed to be a centre half). Someone elsewhere said that Reid had become a bottleneck and its true.Undoubtedly a talent, he does however make us more than a little predictable. Its time for a major re-think, Id like to see more of Therry Racon myself. Its also time to be brave and not be afraid to leave out star players if we are to play the right tactics to grind out results in this league, so expect us to drop Reid, Varney etc when the time is right.

Weaver Mills Basey Sodje Bougherra
    Sam ZZ Racon Reid
    Ambrose
    Iwelumo
    Not a huge fan of Ambrose, but I think there is a place for him in my side for Southampton.

Come on you reds!