Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Plus tonight.....

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
..For any comments after this crap week for CAFC.

On air as usual at 8 (GMT). We don't get many Lifers emailing in or on the phones and yet there are loads of relevant and interesting posts on here. email anytime to studio@charltonplus.com or skype us 'charltonplus' during the show. The 24 hour rant line is available if you've got something to get off you chest 020 8123 9377.
Log on to the show via www.charltonplus.com

Here's a discussion point for you all:
The defensive problems stem from the 'keeper. Weaver must be dropped and Randolph brought in.

Comments

• Options
    Bump...

BTW Brian, in answer to your"discussion point"- No. Weaver needs to be encouraged to distrubute more positively- ie further, but quite rightly, he was one of the few players who were rightly applauded off yesterday
  • Options
    drop Weaver ? Are you mad. He hasn't really put a foot wrong yet and has kept us in many games. Another superb save yesterday before they scored. It's not his fault that all our centre halves can't defend.
  • Options
    Nothing to discuss. I thought yesterday Weaver had made his first mistake of the season that had led to a goal being conceded. Until I got home and saw the replay on TV and that he was half strangled.

Discussion point or not lay off Weaver he has been excellent. NB I also think he has lost a lot of weight IMO and looks much fitter (not in a gay way!).
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Said the same to the other lifers whilst pitchside who helped out with flag duties- Looked very lean!
  • Options
    Thanks Brian, enjoyed tonight whilst working - keep it up.

Oh and please sort out the jumping 'Red Red Robin' for next week.
  • Options
    Weaver has been great all season made the odd mistake but so did ourplayer of year last season. No one is perfect

And like others he was not to blame for the goal after seeing the highlights this AM

PS good show tonight Brian keep it up

Red Army
  • Options
    Weavers distribution is poor but it's because no one get's into space to distribute it to. You can see him looking for throws but no one seems to want the ball enough they just sit on the halfway line, no one making runs and generating space.
  • Options
    weaver done alright on saturday, he looked for the short passes and also followed instructions for the long ball,
    its not his fault the midfield and strikers have a communication problem,
  • Options
    good luck with the show B, but bit of a stupid discussion piece if you ask me. Been listening to Talksport's shock tactics a bit too much !!!
  • Options
    Agreed, I think Weaver has been outstanding in an understated way...he has quietly gotten on with his job, and he did try to distribute the ball quickly but the lack of movement limited what he could do.....I dont think anyone offered themselves up for the ball on Saturday...Thomas especially was keen to get rid.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    OK guys we'll have to agree to disagree. I think Weaver is the root cause of the defensive problem but it's got as much to do with Randolph being shunted back to the bench after proving himself to be a more than capable keeper at Anfield last season. He should have been given the shirt from day 1 this season IMHO.

Just to let you Music moaners know :-) We play unsigned bands/artists as that is all we can play legally on the show. Why do we play music at all? Simply because it gives Glynne and me a chance to collate the emails and make sure they get read properly before being aired.

Talk sport 'shock tactics' ? blimey AFKA I didn't realise we had stooped that low :-) It might suprise some people but quite a few actually agree about Randolph.

Addickted. Re the Robin. We use the same MP3 file as BDL uses at the Valley so if it was skipping for you it's likely to be an internet issue either en route or at your end. Not much we can do about that I'm afraid. Sorry.

Anyway, Thanks to anyone who listened. We are on every Sunday at 20.00 GMT and if you want to get something off your chest then email us at anytime studio@charltonplus.com or phone the your views hotline on 020 8123 9377
    24hrs a day.

BC
  • Options
    I saw enough of Randolph in a recent U21 game to know he's not ready to be first choice.

How is Weaver the root cause of the defensive problem, just interested to know how he's at fault for centre halves switching off etc etc
  • Options
    For me the jury is still out on Weaver. Yes he has made some great saves this season but I think Randolph would surprise a few with this too.

Weaver ;
    Doesn't command his area. Doesn't convince when coming from crosses. Not mobile enough. Not vocal enough.

I am not sure if Randolph is the right man for the job either but one thing we all agree on is our two CB's are shocking
  • Options
    Weaver doesn't commnd his area. Sometimes he comes and sometimes he stays. he also flaps. Saturday you could argue that he was fouled but he was never going to take that cross anyway. He is a good shot stopper and that's all. As I said, agreeing to disagree is not a problem but in my opinion we should be giving Randolph an opportunity.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bc_addick[/cite]Weaver doesn't commnd his area. Sometimes he comes and sometimes he stays. he also flaps. Saturday you could argue that he was fouled but he was never going to take that cross anyway. He is a good shot stopper and that's all. As I said, agreeing to disagree is not a problem but in my opinion we should be giving Randolph an opportunity.

He would have taken it, if the QPR player didn't have his arm wrapped round his neck
  • Options
    rothko, your right.
    I didn't really see it live the first time round.... but watched it again on sky + and the QPR player has his arms wrapped around him leading up to the goal.
    A blatant foul.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Randolph most certainly does not command his area. I can think of plenty more discussion points than having a go at Weaver, who, to my surprise, has turned out to be one of the positives of this season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bc_addick[/cite]..For any comments after this crap week for CAFC.

The defensive problems stem from the 'keeper. Weaver must be dropped and Randolph brought in.

A keeper is only as good as the defenders in front of him...and dropping Weaver for a talented but raw keeper with one first team game under his belt (and a few for Accrington Stanley) is just the wrong move. It'll affect badly the confidence of Weaver, the defenders and when Randolph starts shipping goals it'll be shown up to be the wrong move, as the real problem - the centre-backs aren't doing their job properly - won't have been addressed. Right now we need Weaver's experience.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    [cite]Posted By: bc_addick[/cite]..For any comments after this crap week for CAFC.

On air as usual at 8 (GMT). We don't get many Lifers emailing in or on the phones and yet there are loads of relevant and interesting posts on here. email anytime to studio@charltonplus.com or skype us 'charltonplus' during the show. The 24 hour rant line is available if you've got something to get off you chest 020 8123 9377.
    Log on to the show via charltonplus.com

And I'll add if that's an example of the standard of debate it should be no surprise that there very few Lifers contributing.

Try and think of some more realistic questions and debatiing points...
  • Options
    "It'll affect badly the confidence of Weaver, the defenders and when Randolph starts shipping goals it'll be shown up to be the wrong move,"

This is speculation BFR and not based on fact as we haven't tried it.

It's strange that Carson was accepted as our keeper in the Premiership and did brilliantly despite have very little experience. Indeed Carson's experience when he joined us could easily be compared to that of Randolph.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: bc_addick[/cite]"It'll affect badly the confidence of Weaver, the defenders and when Randolph starts shipping goals it'll be shown up to be the wrong move,"

This is speculation BFR and not based on fact as we haven't tried it.

It's strange that Carson was accepted as our keeper in the Premiership and did brilliantly despite have very little experience. Indeed Carson's experience when he joined us could easily be compared to that of Randolph.

Carson had played in the Premiership, Championship and Champions League before he joined us, so it's not even remotely near.

I just get the feeling some still hold the 0-1 at the Valley against Nicky, when he's been one of the best players this season
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bc_addick[/cite]Weaver doesn't commnd his area. Sometimes he comes and sometimes he stays. he also flaps. Saturday you could argue that he was fouled but he was never going to take that cross anyway. He is a good shot stopper and that's all. As I said, agreeing to disagree is not a problem but in my opinion we should be giving Randolph an opportunity.
    sounds like Deano to me...
  • Options
    Deano - The best we have ever had in my lifetime.

I understand people gunning for Randolph, I was at Anfield and he really impressed me but I don't see why anyone is trying to make Weaver the scapegoat? Overall I think he has looked more solid than Carson when it comes to actually making saves. I don't recall Weaver conceding a soft goal yet, Carson had by this stage last year.
  • Options
    I'm not making Weaver a scapegoat though Dave, I'm just saying that Randolph should be given an opportunity.
    I'll get back to you re the experience stats Rothko as it was Glynne that mentioned them on the show last night.
  • Options
    Well Glynne needs to do a bit more reading up
  • Options
    Not if he is right
  • Options
    I'm sure Randolph will get a chance but WHY drop someone who has done nothing wrong?
  • Options
    There isn't a comparison between Carson and Randolph experience prior to last season.

Carson had played in the Champions League, Premiership and FA cup for Liverpool, plus a loan spell in the Championship with Sheffield Wednesday. Compared to 14 games in the Conference for Randolph.

Weaver is playing well, and has done nowt to deserve being dropped.
  • Options
    Rothko,

Having looked up the stats on Carson I have to say you are right and I therefore withdraw that comparison.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    live at the moment.

charltonplus