Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Life collection in memory of Adam Stuart "The Boat"

edited October 2007 in General Charlton
I experienced a multitude of different emotions on Saturday away from the football. On the Friday we announced we would be doing a small connection in memory of Adam Stuart, who posted under the alias of ‘The Boat’, and who tragically died of meningitis last week, aged just seventeen.

Initially, I felt wary of getting involved. The fact remained I had not even met Adam, let alone be classed as one of his friends. We’d chatted on the internet, but that was the extent of our ‘friendship’. Would our efforts be appreciated and welcomed ? Are we getting too involved in a private, tragic incident ? Equally, would people respond, and be feeling the same shock and sadness that I was ?

But as we saw during the Demelza campaign during the summer, there is a strong unity amongst the members of this site. We not only share a passion for Charlton, but we have a collective heart, decency and togetherness. I should not have worried. A steady stream of members appeared before the game, all pledging sorrow and shock at such a sudden loss. Many told of how meningitis had affected either themselves or their family, some related the loss by the comparative age of themselves or their children, while others simply expressed sorrow and regret.

The game was just about to kick off, and as I was finishing my conversation with MCS and about to enter the ground, a teenage pair approached us timidly. They asked if we were the ones from the website, which we confirmed. They then calmly introduced themselves as Adam’s sister, and his friend. They had heard what the members of the site were doing, and just wanted to come down and thank everyone on behalf of the family.

The fact two people, in their mid-teens, and going through such grief could handle themselves in such a mature, composed way in approaching a stranger absolutely astounded me. They were a credit to Adam, themselves and their family. I tried my best to hold conversation, pass on our regrets, but the whole thing became a blur. We parted, and I entered the ground with tears in my eyes and shaking. I’m sure MCS was as well.

So on behalf of Adam’s family, thank you to those who went out of their way to find me on Saturday, and donate £249.35. And thank you from me for proving this is a strong community that cares. I have tried to list below all those who contributed, but I’m sure with everything going on, I may unintentionally have missed some. If that is the case, please send me a private whisper and I’ll discreetly amend.

We will arrange a floral tribute this week, and the rest will go to a leading meningitis research charity. Many have contacted me, unable to be there Saturday but wishing to make a contribution. I will later this week be adding the remainder of the collection money to the following page we have created, so please add any contribution in Adam’s memory by clicking on the link below

RIP The Boat

Link here: http://www.justgiving.com/charltonlifemeningitis

AllLeftFoot
F-Blocker
Cedric Winkleburger
Brunello
Bexleyheath Red
NorthStandSteve
Pass It To Leaburn
Paul Bacon Sarnie
MCS
AnAppyAddick
The Kigelia clan
Red ArmySE7
Crispy
Gumbo
Friend or Defoe
Southend
The Killer Beard clan
Alex
Red Pete
Rhinosvalley
WSS
Stanmore Addick
Carlsberg
Carter
Medders
Suzi Sausage
Les Says
Dave Storry
Glass Half Empty
AFKA Bartram
Badger
Ketman
Maglor
CAFC Maria
+ a couple of anonymous readers.

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2007
    Dan I would have gladly donated something but didn't know anything about it until Saturday evening. Maybe you could add a couple of pounds for me and I will give you it at the Cardiff game.
    edited to say have just read it again and realised I can donate on line so will do so.

Good work Dan.
  • Options
    Glad I caught up with you Dan and a big thanks to the stewards for allowing me back out to hand over our donations. Most of all though, may I say a big thank you to you for organising this, so that we were able to pay our respects to a young man, so cruelly removed from his friends and family.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    no worries. Just amended a couple of typos. Really should proof things.
  • Options
    Nice one AFKA reading that has done me again,GOD BLESS YOU BOAT.
  • Options
    i put my donation to the con club who were doing a whip
  • Options
    Our one raised around the £200 mark as well.

Cheers to all that donated to both.
  • Options
    Ed, please whisper me details when you know so i can arrange the flowers
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Afka, I missed you saturday! is there any way I could send you a kite? Doh! just seen the link will do it there!!!
  • Options
    Ended up late to the ground on Saturday so couldnt donate then so good work for setting up that site.
  • Options
    AFKA - the site has effectively hit its target already: over £250 donated today (including one very generous one) to be added to the collection at the ground. Thanks for overcoming your understandable wariness and taking this on. Very, very sad, but let's hope some good will come from such a terrible loss.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry I missed you Saturday, thanks for setting the link to just giving.
  • Options
    Arrived late at the ground too.... And lost my debit card but hopefully a replacement will be received on Thursday when I can then donate to the cause. RIP The Boat
  • Options
    Thank you for setting this up AFKA. I have just made a donation on line and the total is now over £600.
  • Options
    The funeral is this Friday in Blackheath. It will be a large, public service and if there is anyone reading who wishes to have the details, please send me a whisper.

A red and white flower arrangement has been sent from this site, and together with the Meningitus donations, over £700 has been raised from members of this site. If anyone would like to make a donation to Meningitis UK in memory of Adam, please click on the following link:

Link here: http://www.justgiving.com/charltonlifemeningitis
  • Options
    AFKA, I just want to echo the thanks that all those who have posted on here already have said. It would have been easy for everyone to just offer their condolences, but by taking it one step further, i.e. by organising the floral tribute and the JustGiving fund, speaks volumes. I know this isn't the time for an 'AFKA-mutual-love-in', but well done for taking the initiative. I didn't know Adam, nor his family, but i'm sure they will take comfort in the actions that you and all the others on the site have taken.
  • Options
    Danny - Missed you on Sat but have now made amends and have donated online.

RIP
  • Options
    Well done AFKA for setting this up.

RIP Stuart, my thoughts today are with his family and friends.
  • Options
    Well said RRH!
  • Options
    Guys, i'll be taking this off as a sticky later today.

Over 90 people off here helped contribute to flowers and donating towards charity, meaning that Meningitus UK has benefited to the tune of just under £1,000. Thanks for everyone responding in the way they did. The Justgiving page will remain open till the end of January if anyone would like to contribute at any stage.

Last month i received this message from a doctor, i hope she doesn't mind me sharing it with everyone:

I am a charlton fan, only discovered this site for a sad reason, glad I have now. I met adam and his family very briefly, the reason being I was the doctor in A+E who saw him and along with the rest of the team tried to save his life. He has had a big impact on me and the rest of the department, in a place where we see a lot of sad things this one has really shaken us. my thought are continuously with his family, i didn't know he supported charlton.

I think its great that the money raised is going to fund more research to find an effective treatment for this horrific condition.

RIP Adam
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing that AFKA.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah that nice sentiments. Rip Adam
  • Options
    Just to say , received a letter of thanks to everyone from Meningitus UK which i forgot to bring in today.

Will post up a copy tomorrow.
  • Options
    you done yourself proud there.well done.