Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Renaults

edited October 2007 in Not Sports Related
Anyone on here got one?

Are they any good.Heard they can be a bit of a nightmare and pricey to repair.i've seen a little clio for the other half.Looks nice enough.

Comments

• The value doesn't bother me too much Bri.It is an R reg (98) afterall.Just want to know if it's gonna last a few years and not cost me an arm and a leg to get fixed if it goes t*ts up!
    Think it's an Rxe 1600.

Cheers
  • Whisper gone wrong methinks
  • My missus had a Megane a few years ago and it was awful! Horrible to drive, crap on cold mornings and little things kept going wrong that they couldnt fix properly......I'd stear well clear if I were you.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]Whisper gone wrong methinks

Never been any good at whispering.A comedian,while performing at the comedy store ,once asked me and my buddies if we learned to whisper at a meatloaf concert!
  • They are shite. Like Citroens they are built for manufacture not maintenance.

Stick with ford or vauxhall. I.e Corsa, Fiesta
  • Mate had one and his dad reckons they were the worst buys ever
  • Watch out for Clio's and the bonnet catch. There is a major design fault on one of the versions that causes the bonnet to fly up whilst you are driving.

Renault refuse to recognise a problem - Been on BBC Watchdog if you want further info on what mark etc..
  • i have a clio, not had a single problem with it so far and drives fine.
  • A good indication of how good a car is; How many have been made?
  • edited October 2007
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: pettswoodaddick[/cite]A good indication of how good a car is; How many have been made?

Not for French cars. Their Government subsidises Renault, Peugeot and Citroen big time. I wouldn't recommend any of them to my worst enemy.
  • Ive had a few over the years, some good some bad...parts can be pricey and the warranties arent much cop, but on a 10 year old car, you really have to rely on service history and if its been well looked after then the owners will have kept the old bills and MOTs. If it has sky high miles then leave it well alone, as its going to need discs, clutch, catalytic converters etal
  • German or Japanese Cars have always been like tanks for me - VW or Hondas have never let me down
  • All mechanical parts wear out regardless of where or who they have been made by.
    All car makers pitch their cars at relative prices to other manufacturers if they were that bad they wouldn't sell cars. Brand loyality will only carry them so far.At the end of the day we would all drive 40k German/Japanese in preference to a 10 year old pug.
    I've worked in many car plants / factories throughout Europe and there is not much difference between how the Germans put cars together to how the Spanish put them together. It’s the quality of the materials that counts.
    I always feel it is a level of expectation. If you bought a new A8 Audi a rattle in the trim is a defect, in a Renault costing 20k less perhaps it’s not such a problem.
  • I can honestly say from personal experiance with having to work on the poxy things that Renaults, Citroens and Peugeots are crap.

Build quality is shite. They look nice granted (to girls) and are pretty cheap to run but in my opinion they are dog vehicles.
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Watch out for Clio's and the bonnet catch. There is a major design fault on one of the versions that causes the bonnet to fly up whilst you are driving.

Renault refuse to recognise a problem - Been on BBC Watchdog if you want further info on what mark etc..

Blimey.Did i mention the car was for my other half.This could be a way to finally get shot of her!

SOLD.
  • Oohaah had a classic Renault with disco wheels, i'm sure he would be hapopy to disscuss.
  • The Clio is a good little supermini but at the end of the day you get what you pay for. If you are spending less than £10k on a new car it aint' gonna be all that. Renault are also expensive on new parts.
  • [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Watch out for Clio's and the bonnet catch. There is a major design fault on one of the versions that causes the bonnet to fly up whilst you are driving.

Are you sure they haven't recognised it? My grilfriend called a Renault garage after hearing this and they booked her in and checked it over for free - I assumed that that was Renault policy?

Anyway, my first car was a Clio and I wasn't very impressed, it rattled and really lacked acceleration anywhere above 30mph. My next car was a Ford KA (I know - quite a car history! In my defence I only do 2k miles a year) and I think it's a much better drive, cheaper to run and repair, bigger engine, better acceleration - it's far from glamorous but I'd pick it in a choice between the two of them.

I'm yearning after something a bit nicer after spending my holiday driving a nice car through California - anyone got any tips? (Bearing in mind I don't want to spend an absolute fortune as I still only drive about 2k miles a year). I quite like the look of the Toyota Auris?
  • Seat Ibiza, Honda Civic.

Won't go wrong with either of them.

If it's something smaller go for the Seat Arosa.

The new Mini's are good vehicles too especially the cooper S
  • Sponsored links:

• "I can honestly say from personal experiance with having to work on the poxy things that Renaults, Citroens and Peugeots are crap.

Build quality is shite. They look nice granted (to girls) and are pretty cheap to run but in my opinion they are dog vehicles."

Can vouch for that. My wife's got a Peugeot 206CC (the girly one with the electric roof) It's only 18 months old and she's already had to have a brake caliper and electric window motor replaced.
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Watch out for Clio's and the bonnet catch. There is a major design fault on one of the versions that causes the bonnet to fly up whilst you are driving.

Blimey.Did i mention the car was for my other half.This could be a way to finally get shot of her!

SOLD.

Don't forget the Insurance policy ;-)