Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

your greatest briton

2»

Comments

• Options
    It has to be Darwin. Not only did he live in Bromley but we'd all still be monkeys if it wasn't for him.

Tom Paine for being instrumental in both the French and American revolutions as well as radical thinking in the UK.
  • Options
    Kenneth Williams....

Duke of Wellingrton...
  • Options
    Killer
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Tom Paine for being instrumental in both the French and American revolutions as well as radical thinking in the UK.

Nowt but a glorified trouble making tax collector!
  • Options
    Stanley Unwin
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]It has to be Darwin. Not only did he live in Bromley but we'd all still be monkeys if it wasn't for him.

He lived in Downe, not Bromley, Orpington or Biggin Hill have stronger claims than Bromely.

But I agree with the choice, Charles Darwin first set out the theory of evolution and that has had the greatest impact on mankind since the publication of the "Origin of Species". Since then everything we have discovered about the world, and in particular mammalian biology has been proven to be entirely consistent with his discoveries. Considering the vitriol and hostility to evolution, which still continues to this day (see the debates over creationism and intelligent design, particularly in the States, but also elsewhere) he can also claim to have had a philosophical impact on the way that we now view the world. In essence everything he wrote has been utterly vindicated, and perhaps his greatest legacy is the realisation that we aren't pre-ordained/pre-destined by god or whoever but are part of the animal kingdom and life itself.

Only Isaac Newton can have a similar claim, so the choice is down to one of those two, being fair I'd share it.

As for Churchill, a great man who happened to be in the right place at the right time.
  • Options
    Alan Turing did is as much to win WW2 as most.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I think I saw pretty much every indie band of note during my long career as a gig go-er, but I never saw Gene for some reason - always seemed to miss them!

You never became a gold gig go-er then! lol

I saw them lots in a 3 year period, about 3 years ago. went to their last ever gig at the social. an acoustic gig where they announced the split. people were in tears. saddos. great band tho.

Bit dubious about this. You're saying that they announced the split AT their last gig. This isn't true. They announced the split before playing their last gig.
    Finally, anyone who cried at their last gig was anything but sad. They were simply recognising what the mass media never did - that Gene were the greatest live band of all time. LOCKED ON OPINION.