Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gordon Taylor - PFA

Don't know about anyone else but this burke irritates me immensely.
I realise as the head of a trades union he has to stick up for his members but it seems to him footballers can NEVER do any wrong, and I'm not referring to the current issue with wages. It is just that he was on the telly/radio yet again last night. Mind you for the ludicrous amount he gets paid he can't moan about salaries.
Maybe it's just because he is such an old queen that I don't like him. One year at the PFA awards he almost snogged Rooney.....

Comments

• Options
    Great quote from the Middlesboro chairman about Football players moaning about needing a winter break as they need a rest'...along the lines of "fbeing a footballer is hardly a grind is it? they should try working a 14 hour day on industrial Tyneside"
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: T[/cite]Great quote from the Middlesboro chairman about Football players moaning about needing a winter break as they need a rest'...along the lines of "fbeing a footballer is hardly a grind is it? they should try working a 14 hour day on industrial Tyneside"[/quote]

exactly, gordon taylor has got a cheek trying to campare footballers to overworked racehorses where the RSPCA should be called in. that 3 hour day and clubbing must be crippling for them, its not as if every top player plays every minute of every game all season
  • Options
    Work 9-2 monday to Friday and 11-5 on Saturdays with the occasional 5-10 shift on a weekday... health care & full sick pay.

Pretty much the same hours as a Student might work in Sainsburys.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    if you beleive in a free market economy then I can't see what the issue is. People are paid what their employer is willing to pay them. Whether they are worth that much is a judgement to be made by those employers and when they either renew or don't re-new their contract that is what they are doing

Does any not watch F1 because Lewis Hamilton earns a fortune? Has anyone stopped going to concerts or buying CD cos pop stars are coining it. Why aren't govt minister moaning about Elton John or Mick Jagger and their earnings?

Personally I think Gordon Taylor has done a great job for his members which includes players at all levels. The PFA have fantastic retraining programme for kids who don't make it and for older players, they advise players on investing their money and they have been at the forefront of anti-racism campaigns. Taylor stood up to the clubs who wanted to get out of paying the agreed share of the TV money to the union and the PFA have used the money to support football at all levels including loaning money to clubs that were under threat of going out of business.
  • Options
    but the papers don't say that Henry so shhh!
  • Options
    Stop ruining a good moan with your sensible comments please Hayes
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlton Dan[/cite]Stop ruining a good moan with your sensible comments please Hayes

No I won't!

Next - The EU and why it is such a good thing for the UK
  • Options
    Definitely the Freddy Shepherd, Eric Hall side of obnoxious. The phrase 'snout in the trough' was made for him.
  • Options
    I like that he sticks up for the players, and its easy to pick on these stories and make a predictable headline, calling him greedy/insensitive/out of touch etc, and he should certainly talk with more tact. But bear in mind that for every John Terry earning tons of money there are plenty that don't, or who get injured and retire early. The PFA does a lot of work in looking after retired players/those who don't make it, especially those who've fallen on hard times and don't have the money in the bank that the elite players do as well as insisting that clubs offer education to younger players.

The PFA does a lot of unseen work that doesn't get headlines.
  • Options
    My moan was NOT about the PFA nor about John Terry's wages or anyone elses. It was a personal moan about Gordon Taylor, I don't know him but I hate him and always have.
    If you want to discuss other things, like the PFA for example, please start your own thread.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How about we start a thread regarding Fire Fighters who would like to be paid £8.50 an hour.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]My moan was NOT about the PFA nor about John Terry's wages or anyone elses. It was a personal moan about Gordon Taylor, I don't know him but I hate him and always have.
    If you want to discuss other things, like the PFA for example, please start your own thread.

Apologies for straying into your thread...

Why do you hate someone you've never met? I'm guessing its because of his public pronouncements regarding players' wages and the like, and if so I agree that he should defend over-paid footballers with more tact and common sense. However the PFA, which he heads up, exists as more than a trade union for the elite and well paid, at least put that into the context of your personal animosity regarding Gordon Taylor.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Badger[/cite]How about we start a thread regarding Fire Fighters who would like to be paid £8.50 an hour.

Is that for the window cleaning, the cabbing or the actual firefighting?
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]

Why do you hate someone you've never met? I'm guessing its because of his public pronouncements regarding players' wages and the like, and if so I agree that he should defend over-paid footballers with more tact and common sense. However the PFA, which he heads up, exists as more than a trade union for the elite and well paid, at least put that into the context of your personal animosity regarding Gordon Taylor.

You really are a weirdo but I'm glad you've learnt how to quote. I don't like him because he's so poofy I expect.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]

Why do you hate someone you've never met? I'm guessing its because of his public pronouncements regarding players' wages and the like, and if so I agree that he should defend over-paid footballers with more tact and common sense. However the PFA, which he heads up, exists as more than a trade union for the elite and well paid, at least put that into the context of your personal animosity regarding Gordon Taylor.[/cite]
    [cite]

You really are a weirdo but I'm glad you've learnt how to quote. I don't like him because he's a poof I expect.[/cite]

Been on the light ales this afternoon DJDD?
  • Options
    Not had a drink since September actually.
  • Options
    Gordon Taylor has perfected the art of defending the indefensible, has he ever not defended a premier league player and has he ever defended publicly a lower league player.
  • Options
    I heard that he DIDN'T defend Rooney over his latest antics. Just hearsay though. Would be a first.

I wonder why the NOTW tapped his phone and what did they find? He got paid off handsomely for that. I don't know why they targeted him but I've got a good idea. Don't think he spent his money in Uganda.....
  • Options
    This is from the BBC, from the PFA website

"The FA's decision has been questioned by Professional Footballers' Association chief Gordon Taylor.

In a statement issued on the PFA website, Taylor said: "Whilst the use of foul and abusive language is not condoned, there is an acceptance by all parties within the game that 'industrial language' is commonly used.

"It becomes an issue when directed towards match officials. However, when used in a spontaneous way in celebration or frustration then it is not normally expected to merit a sanction.

"If sanctions are to be imposed in such circumstances then this has to be done in a balanced and consistent manner, and participants made aware of this fundamental change in approach.""
  • Options
    Business as usual then.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]Business as usual then.....

Lol, yes
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]"If sanctions are to be imposed in such circumstances then this has to be done in a balanced and consistent manner, and participants made aware of this fundamental change in approach.""
    While I completely agree with everything Henry said this quote from GT shows why he's regarded so sceptically. Just in case anyone's struggling with it the reason that the participants haven't been made aware of the fundamental change in approach is because there's not been a fundamental change in approach. This incident is all new. No footballer in my recollection has ever decided to run to the camera to celebrate a hattrick by screaming expletives down the camera lens during a televised lunchtime game. The FA reasonably hasn't got a directive and precedent on this because it's never happened before. I know this and, as someone that makes his living and earned his fame from football Gordon knows this too. Why he's grandstanding about it, I don't know. The PFA should be trying to help members more deserving of help rather that trying to boost its leader's profile.