Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Semedo + formation discussion

edited November 2007 in General Charlton
is going to miss a game but when does the suspension kick in?

I think it might be after 7 days meaning he will be available at Ashton Gate.

Comments

• Options
    i think that used to be the case, but now i think bans take immediate effect.
    i could be thinking of prem league rules though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]i think that used to be the case, but now i think bans take immediate effect.
    i could be thinking of prem league rules though.

I think it is with immediate effect. Sam was suspended immediately.
  • Options
    I think 4-5-1 is the way to stay for the moment.

We will be more lightweight without Semedo so should go 4-5-1 for that reason and even with him it appeared to work well. Burley moaned that they..."flooded the midfield".....we have quality in midfield so that is where we should aim to play the game in my view.
  • Options
    Given that in the second half we went 3-4-1 and took the game to them, perhaps it's time to go 3-5-2 at home. We don't have quality up front post-Toddy but if we starve the opponents of possession we can hope to nick one or two.
  • Options
    352 is an interesting call. It would certainly let magic step out and show us what he can do as a sweeper and at right wing back we've certainly got options too. The problem is lWB, has Basey got the pace to play in such an exposed position?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]352 is an interesting call. It would certainly let magic step out and show us what he can do as a sweeper and at right wing back we've certainly got options too. The problem is lWB, has Basey got the pace to play in such an exposed position?

My view is no based on the QPR game.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]352 is an interesting call. It would certainly let magic step out and show us what he can do as a sweeper and at right wing back we've certainly got options too. The problem is lWB, has Basey got the pace to play in such an exposed position?

No, always play four at the back, at least when you start the game - you give whoever is playing wide left/right too much ground to cover, as they are expected to play defensively and then over-lap or be outright wingers. That's a lot of territory to cover and the chances of getting caught out of position are too great - that only needs to happen once in a match...
  • Options
    So thats where Ajax have been going wrong.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SantaClaus[/cite]So thats where Ajax have been going wrong.

And what have Ajax won recently?

Football tactics move on...not all teams do.
  • Options
    i still beleive semedo is overrated. hes too slow and losing position easilly. we looked better without him on saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You are joking arent you.
  • Options
    No disrespect Welsh, but if you don't think Semedo is a decent player then i doubt you would notice a decent player if he was wearing a clowns outfit, orange wig, red nose, blowing a whistle, and smacking you round the face with a wet kipper :-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]No disrespect Welsh, but if you don't think Semedo is a decent player then i doubt you would notice a decent player if he was wearing a clowns outfit, orange wig, red nose, blowing a whistle, and smacking you round the face with a wet kipper :-)

I'm sure one of them turned out for my old Sunday side
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I think he is good and undroppable but has perhaps been SLIGHTLY overrated, so I at least think it would is a good opportunity to see how Racon (say) does in that role in a very tough match.
  • Options
    I have not seen a lot of Semedo but I did see the QPR game and we basically imploded once he went off so it would seem that he does a lot of the ugly work without which the team suffers greatly....

I think I am right in saying that Pards reckons that Reid has been our best player this season followed by Semedo.
  • Options
    ive only seen 6 games so far this season and have not been impressed at all. 1st game v scunthorpe he looked totally lost. 2nd game v stoke was very physical he didnt want to know. 3rd game against sheff wed he was at fault for both there goals and we looked better when he went to full back. 4th game v barnsley he was average. 5th game v qpr ok we emploded when he went off at half time but we were poor first half too. and sat v southampton was probably the best performance ive seen this season and he wasnt there!!!. Now if we lose 3-0 tonight then maybe i could be wrong but if we win 3-0???????????
  • Options
    Every team needs a Semedo type in it, he does loads of the ugly stuff, and is like a younger Keith Jones.
  • Options
    he doesnt fit into our system. please dont play him saturday.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WelshAddick[/cite]he doesnt fit into our system. please dont play him saturday.

It's a poser for Pards. Does he change a winning team?
  • Options
    he may well be a great player but wrong player wrong time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Or Pards could take the easy decision and play him at left back.
  • Options
    true, he looked good against SW in that position.
  • Options
    told you so.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WelshAddick[/cite]told you so.

except it doesn't really work like that though Welshy. Just because we've won the last two games without Semedo does not make him a bad player, nor someone we can do without.

We won the first couple of games after Scott Parker threw his hissy fit. Did that mean we were better off without him ??
  • Options
    Always play to your strengths...
  • Options
    a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush...
  • Options
    ......and you should know!
  • Options
    My take on Semedo is that he is a quality player that won't always shine in this league, especially early on as he gets used to the pace of it.

He has obvious ability and always looks to get on the ball and play out from the back. The problem he and Pards will find is that in this league he will come up against teams that will not allow him the space and time to play. But that is a team problem and not an individual one, which is why I believe that 4-5-1 is almost paramount to our success or failure this season, due to the players we have available.

We don't have a midfield general or enforcer, as some other sides have and we will always look lightweight against opposition that close us down, try to out muscle us and give us no space in a standard 4-4-2.

The 4-5-1 system will allow us to compete in midfield and yet spring forward using width and pace. I think that Semedo will do well in this system and to be fair so might Racon or Ambrose, but the big question is not who we play in the role, but whether Pards will want to adopt this strategy at home.

If not I fear a few more results like Plymouth and QPR beckoning.
  • Options
    I see it the same KB, 451 is set up perfectly away from home. If teams are going to sit back though or man to man, to make it work at home it has to have a lot more attacking bent, rather than counter.
  • Options
    Sticking to 451 at home can be stupid though. If the opposition come to defend and leave only 1 striker up front why not 352?